NFL Could Push For 18-Game Season In Labor Talks

DigInBoys

If I’m an owner, I agree to fully guaranteed contracts, but keep rookie salaries the same. Then I demand an 18 game season in exchange for the players demanding fully guaranteed contracts.

Owners win in that scenario. You get a situation like baseball where owners just keep replacing expensive players with cheaper rookies. The NFLPA really screwed up being okay with rookie contracts being capped.

16 hours ago, Activated10 said:

That would be a horrendous idea. Add more confusion for NFL fans for wondering why they're fantasy player is healthy but is sitting out thr game due to NFL rule of only being allowed to play 16 games. Loll that's a disaster the NFL doesn't want any part of. 

It would be a disaster. The fact that all the 18 game season nonsense doesn't die makes me wonder if the NFL really doesn't want any part of it, though. 

8 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

I agree, I wouldn't expand the regular season myself, and I'd rather shorten the preseason as a solution if the regular season must absolutely be expanded. In any case, I think letting the normal course of the season decide how many games each player gets is better than stablishing an arbitrary barrier. Let injuries and coaches decide when to sit players, not a predefined rule.

There would have to be rules to protect players from coaches. That's the thing.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

One thing I would like to see regardless of everything else is to do away with mandatory inactives and offer a more flexible.... Disabled List (No I'm not calling it "injured List"). 4 Week, 8 week, and season long. 

Something like this absolutely needs to be done.

5 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

Wow... apparently I'm in the extreme minority, but I'd love an 18 game season.

I love football and so I want to see more games.

It's not that easy. I wish it was. Starters don't play much in the pre-season, so eliminating two pre-season games doesn't even cut it...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Activated10 said:

There's no way the NFL can remove bye week. Players need their rest man. 

sorry i should have clarified, the first and second seeded teams wouldn't get a bye during wildcard weekend. all teams would still get a bye during the regular season.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, whitehops said:

i know it would net the NFL less money than adding a 17th and potentially 18th regular season game but simply expanding playoffs would be good imo. 8 teams per conference, no teams get a bye, the schedule stays the same, etc.

the NFL only gets four more games of revenue but it's pretty much the least intrusive way of adding games. teams can prepare the way they're used to, the top seeded teams still get an advantage (home field advantage plus facing a team that's like 8-8) and it adds more excitement (chances of upsets). i think this would be a good first step to adding more games, especially because i think the teams are already seeded well enough for the playoffs with 16 games. 

honestly, i think the only thing that might make the players open to adding more regular season games is that increased revenue = higher salary cap = higher salary for each player. adding two regular season games should equal out to about a 12.5% increase in revenue.  if that was the case, even the bottom-feeders that make $500,000 a year would be getting an extra $60k.

Please no.

Last thing I want is for the NFL to become like the NBA where making the playoffs is basically a participation trophy. We already get some pretty mediocre teams in the playoffs as it is, I don't want to see more 9-7 or 8-8 teams in playoff games.

Having a first round bye makes the stakes of the regular season that much higher even for the top teams. Even once you clinch a playoff spot, it's still worth playing 100% at the end of the season to try and get one of the top 2-seeds in your conference. It's close to impossible to make the SB without one, 15/18 teams to make the SB this decade have all had first round byes. If you got rid of the first round bye a lot of the top teams would not be going 100% the last few weeks of the season. Getting a 1-seed would still be an advantage obviously, but nothing to the extent that it is now and teams wouldn't be as willing to risk injury to their star players that they will want in the playoffs for a lesser advantage compared to what we have now.

While I'm not crazy about expanding the regular season to 18-games I can live with it.

Just please don't mess with the playoffs. They are absolutely perfect as they are right now.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

16 games is fine don't fix what's not broken.

It's  not about it being broken or needing to be fixed. It's about the owners making more money!! Only thing they care about.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's  not about it being broken or needing to be fixed. It's about the owners making more money!! Only thing they care about.

I agree NFL tries to preach player safety yet they do the opposite. Look at the quality of TNF and how that's going for players safety.

8 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

While I'm not crazy about expanding the regular season to 18-games I can live with it.

Just please don't mess with the playoffs. They are absolutely perfect as they are right now.

While I think both are terrible ideas, gun to my head I'd go for an 18 game season over expanded playoffs. At least steps can be taken to deal (somewhat) with a longer season. Expanding the playoffs just dilutes the product to a stupid degree...

Too many. If I were to make any change at all I would have less games, say 14, and hold longer practices. Less time to learn plays and muscle memory equals more injuries and shorter careers. Scheduling 18 games with the current practice system would only make that problem worse.