NFL Could Push For 18-Game Season In Labor Talks

DigInBoys

The NFL could seek an 18-game regular season schedule or an expanded playoff field in a new labor deal, according to a report.

In return, owners would be willing to offer players concessions to the commissioner's disciplinary authority and to the marijuana policy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/29/report-nfl-could-push-for-18-game-schedule-in-labor-talks/

Is it feasible? With two bye-weeks?

7 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Probably not. Calendar doesn't work based on the NFL's desired parameters of the regular season starting after labor day, and what they want is for the Super Bowl to be on President's day Weekend. For this to happen they either go 17+2 or 18+1, players almost certainly won't go 18+1. TBH I see 17+2 as actually being more realistic, odd number of games be damned.

Not for it. I dont want more tired and damaged players, if anything give another bye if you wanna add a week, some teams can end up having a bye early, then potentially play 10+ weeks straight with the playoffs. Conduct with players off the field is already an issue and we wanna loosen the disciplinary power the league has? How about we create a better system of checks and balances within the nflpa and between the commish so we can have a more healthy dynamic between players and execs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Probably not. Calendar doesn't work based on the NFL's desired parameters of the regular season starting after labor day, and what they want is for the Super Bowl to be on President's day Weekend. For this to happen they either go 17+2 or 18+1, players almost certainly won't go 18+1. TBH I see 17+2 as actually being more realistic, odd number of games be damned.

What if they go to 2 preseason games?

3 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

What if they go to 2 preseason games?

I'd like to see this, but from everything I've read and heard, the NFL still wants to start after labor day, but ultimately push back the Super Bowl by 2 weeks. Unless they remove the bye between the CGs and the Super Bowl then I can't see 2 byes through and through.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not surprised though, they’re firmly in the “if some is good, more is better” camp.

Disagree completely tbh.

It's all about the $$$ in this case. More weeks for games, more weeks for viewership and broadcasting deals more games for gambling.

Just now, Danger said:

It's all about the $$$ in this case. More weeks for games, more weeks for viewership and broadcasting deals more games for gambling.

I mean... clearly, but just because something is more profitable doesn’t make it subjectively better.

TNF is apparently profitable, but it’s an abomination and a chore to actually watch.

• Like 5

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean... clearly, but just because something is more profitable doesn’t make it subjectively better.

TNF is apparently profitable, but it’s an abomination and a chore to actually watch.

It might not get the highest ratings, or be the greatest product, but it's still consumed far more than just mixing those games in with the rest of the week, so in the eyes of the NFL, it's a huge success.

Oh, something interesting and actually kind of neat I heard about the whole potential 17 game schedule thing. Each team can get a neutral site game the NFL can use for further marketing purposes. 8 home games, 8 away games, then one game in (take your pick of) London, Mexico, Canada, China, etc.

Just now, Danger said:

It might not get the highest ratings, or be the greatest product, but it's still consumed far more than just mixing those games in with the rest of the week, so in the eyes of the NFL, it's a huge success.

I get that, I’m not debating that.  

I’m arguing that despite the fact it’s profitable I wish they’d do away with it.  I hate TNF games, it’s an awful product every year.

But I understand why it’s a thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not surprised though, they’re firmly in the “if some is good, more is better” camp.

Disagree completely tbh.

The NFL regularly blows my mind with how poorly it's run while still making money hand over fist.  Didn't they learn their lesson last season that oversaturation reduces ratings?

Just now, Danger said:

Oh, something interesting and actually kind of neat I heard about the whole potential 17 game schedule thing. Each team can get a neutral site game the NFL can use for further marketing purposes. 8 home games, 8 away games, then one game in (take your pick of) London, Mexico, Canada, China, etc.

Another money driven idea that’s an absolute turdburger for the teams actual fans.

Just now, Daniel said:

The NFL regularly blows my mind with how poorly it's run while still making money hand over fist.  Didn't they learn their lesson last season that oversaturation reduces ratings?

The NFLs profits were the highest they've ever been last season, 2017 saw reduced growth, perhaps due to [not allowed to be discussed here]. But that wasn't an issue last year.