NFL Could Push For 18-Game Season In Labor Talks

DigInBoys

59 minutes ago, whitehops said:

i know it would net the NFL less money than adding a 17th and potentially 18th regular season game but simply expanding playoffs would be good imo. 8 teams per conference, no teams get a bye, the schedule stays the same, etc.

the NFL only gets four more games of revenue but it's pretty much the least intrusive way of adding games. teams can prepare the way they're used to, the top seeded teams still get an advantage (home field advantage plus facing a team that's like 8-8) and it adds more excitement (chances of upsets). i think this would be a good first step to adding more games, especially because i think the teams are already seeded well enough for the playoffs with 16 games. 

honestly, i think the only thing that might make the players open to adding more regular season games is that increased revenue = higher salary cap = higher salary for each player. adding two regular season games should equal out to about a 12.5% increase in revenue.  if that was the case, even the bottom-feeders that make $500,000 a year would be getting an extra $60k.

There's no way the NFL can remove bye week. Players need their rest man. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Nice creative thinking, only being allowed to play 16 games would add a lot of strategy.

It would, do you stagger  your top players throughout the year, or play the b team for a couple of weeks, maybe in the middle of the season.

I am 100% against expanding the playoffs. Let's not turn this into the NBA, where more than half the league makes the playoffs and the rest are trying to lose as many games as possible. 

That's what 18 games with an expanded playoff is going to do. The worst teams will tank the last 4 weeks of the season. 

... I guess if you eliminated playoff bye weeks by adding 2 teams in each conference? It would be half the league in the playoffs, some great teams playing some bad teams the first weekend, and some really watered down playoff games. Would be bad for business. Three games on both Saturday and Sunday wild card weekend is too many games. 

Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

It would, do you stagger  your top players throughout the year, or play the b team for a couple of weeks, maybe in the middle of the season.

Why on Earth would the NFL want their most marketable players to not be able to play?? 

"This week it's Brian hoyer vs deshone kizer, rather than Tom Brady vs Aaron Rodgers in week 18 to determine who makes the playoffs"

Pretty dumb idea tbh

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Why on Earth would the NFL want their most marketable players to not be able to play?? 

"This week it's Brian hoyer vs deshone kizer, rather than Tom Brady vs Aaron Rodgers in week 18 to determine who makes the playoffs"

Pretty dumb idea tbh

Scenario 1: sit Rodgers weeks 5 and 9 to "save" him for the last few weeks, then have him miss a couple of games because of injury. You look like an idiot, your team loses more than need and you have subjected your fans to Deshone Kizer for 4 games when it could have been just 2 (which is still too damn much)

Scenario 2: play Rodgers the first 16 games because he might get injured, but it turns out he's healthy this year. Now you need to play Kizer the last two games while potentially playing for the playoffs or a bye.

It's just terrible no matter how you look at it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, N4L said:

Pretty dumb idea tbh

High rate of injuries in football, if you haven't noticed. 

32 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Scenario 1: sit Rodgers weeks 5 and 9 to "save" him for the last few weeks, then have him miss a couple of games because of injury. You look like an idiot, your team loses more than need and you have subjected your fans to Deshone Kizer for 4 games when it could have been just 2 (which is still too damn much)

Scenario 2: play Rodgers the first 16 games because he might get injured, but it turns out he's healthy this year. Now you need to play Kizer the last two games while potentially playing for the playoffs or a bye.

It's just terrible no matter how you look at it.

Not really thinking of the QBs, more the running backs and linebackers. 

The touches will have a cumulative effect over a season. 

25 touches per game for 18 games is a heck of a lot of wear and tear. 

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Not really thinking of the QBs, more the running backs and linebackers. 

The touches will have a cumulative effect over a season. 

25 touches per game for 18 games is a heck of a lot of wear and tear. 

I agree, I wouldn't expand the regular season myself, and I'd rather shorten the preseason as a solution if the regular season must absolutely be expanded. In any case, I think letting the normal course of the season decide how many games each player gets is better than stablishing an arbitrary barrier. Let injuries and coaches decide when to sit players, not a predefined rule.

Edited by Packer_ESP

25 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I agree, I wouldn't expand the regular season myself, and I'd rather shorten the preseason as a solution if the regular season must absolutely be expanded. In any case, I think letting the normal course of the season decide how many games each player gets is better than stablishing an arbitrary barrier. Let injuries and coaches decide when to sit players, not a predefined rule.

I dont think that coaches can be trustedto manage players beyond their own interests. Terrel Davis was over ran by shanny sr, Eddie George was fed the ball when he was averaging 3.4 ypc. Larry johnson was also over worked. 

Imo it is probable years were taken away from these guys with overuse. I agree rules are not the net solution, but it is a better devil than trusting bad or uncaring coaches. 

• Like 1

I prefer the 16 game season. The only changes I'd make to the current system are 1) no regular season international games, and possibly 2) the only Thursday games would be the Boys and Lions turkey day games, except for maybe Week 1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I prefer the 16 game season. The only changes I'd make to the current system are 1) no regular season international games, and possibly 2) the only Thursday games would be the Boys and Lions turkey day games, except for maybe Week 1.

The NFL wants to become more of an international product. There is no way they will get rid of the London games.

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

18 games but each player can only play 16 games in the regular season. 

I've heard this idea before, and I loathe it.

QBs, Kickers, Punters would have to have exceptions for one. 

2nd, what if you already sat your primary back-ups at say linebacker, but then your starter goes down in week 17, weeks 18 and 19 you're basically forced to play with a preseason caliber guy. It just detracts from the product on the field and can cost a team a spot in the playoffs. There are many more issues I have though.

• Like 2

One thing I would like to see regardless of everything else is to do away with mandatory inactives and offer a more flexible.... Disabled List (No I'm not calling it "injured List"). 4 Week, 8 week, and season long. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

One thing I would like to see regardless of everything else is to do away with mandatory inactives and offer a more flexible.... Disabled List (No I'm not calling it "injured List"). 4 Week, 8 week, and season long. 

Now that's an idea I could get behind.

19 minutes ago, Danger said:

I've heard this idea before, and I loathe it.

QBs, Kickers, Punters would have to have exceptions for one. 

2nd, what if you already sat your primary back-ups at say linebacker, but then your starter goes down in week 17, weeks 18 and 19 you're basically forced to play with a preseason caliber guy. It just detracts from the product on the field and can cost a team a spot in the playoffs. There are many more issues I have though.

I agree there are problems. There are significant problems with 18 games also.

That is where the approach I suggest si simpler than say a snap count or time based approach. A snap at runningback isnt equal to a snap at fs or corner or on the line.

18 games with out playing time changes requires an imagination that football isnt violent.