NFL Could Push For 18-Game Season In Labor Talks

DigInBoys

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

18 games today is more unsafe than the absolute physical beating of the 70’s rules of 14 games? Yeah, no, not a chance. That game was 10x more physical. 

That's not the point. Seriously? Your argument is honestly that 18 games today is less brutal than 14 games forty years ago? You understand that doesn't even make sense. Right? 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

That's not the point. Seriously? Your argument is honestly that 18 games today is less brutal than 14 games forty years ago? You understand that doesn't even make sense. Right? 

Put it in words because I’m honesty not following you here, no disrespect Heinz. 

But yes the 70’s was 10x more brutal. Definitely safer for 18 games in today’s NFL than 14 games back then. I even think 18 games right now would be safer than 16 games in the 2000’s decade although I suppose that can be debated. 

20 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Put it in words because I’m honesty not following you here, no disrespect Heinz. 

But yes the 70’s was 10x more brutal. Definitely safer for 18 games in today’s NFL than 14 games back then. I even think 18 games right now would be safer than 16 games in the 2000’s decade although I suppose that can be debated. 

I get what you're saying there, but 18 games is still less safe. If they do it, they'll have to come up with a system for sitting players. 

22 hours ago, BayRaider said:

18 games today is more unsafe than the absolute physical beating of the 70’s rules of 14 games? Yeah, no, not a chance. That game was 10x more physical. 

More physical maybe, but the guys now are so much bigger, faster, and stronger due to nutrition and training so the hits are more taxing.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:35 PM, DigInBoys said:

I have no problem with in from the players perspective as long as the get there share of the increased revenue.   I would add conditions to it from the Union perspective. 

Rosters increased to 60.

Every player can only play 16 regular season  games.   (back ups will be much more important.  This will give more money to players on the bench ) 

2 byes

The league gets to sell 2 more games. the union gets 200 more jobs to fill.  And the players still only put their health on the line for 16 regular season games. 

40 minutes ago, patman said:

I have no problem with in from the players perspective as long as the get there share of the increased revenue.   I would add conditions to it from the Union perspective. 

Rosters increased to 60.

Every player can only play 16 regular season  games.   (back ups will be much more important.  This will give more money to players on the bench ) 

2 byes

The league gets to sell 2 more games. the union gets 200 more jobs to fill.  And the players still only put their health on the line for 16 regular season games. 

First the Rosters should be increased regardless. Overall  and Active Game day roster.

However this idea of Players only starting 16 gms means you have to pick and choose, when they play? How are fans going to react when paying top $$$ for tickets to watch Tom Brady or any Face of the Franchise  say , you know  what Today / This Sunday is going to be my day off? You giving refunds? That fair to those attending the game?

What happens if I a team is decimated by Injury at a specific position but said player has to sit his 2 games? You want a PS OT protecting Tom's Blindside? You going to have 2  regular season games basically  become Preseason Games with numerous backups Starting the same games?

You going to carry 2 Kickers and Punters? Sign one off the street just for a week? Ask him back 7 weeks later, be on call? Whole can of worms will be opened if that scenario is remotely implimented.

If the NFLPA is stupid enough to agree to 18 games, then players better be ready to play 18 gms, period!

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

First the Rosters should be increased regardless. Overall  and Active Game day roster.

However this idea of Players only starting 16 gms means you have to pick and choose, when they play? How are fans going to react when paying top $$$ for tickets to watch Tom Brady or any Face of the Franchise  say , you know  what Today / This Sunday is going to be my day off? You giving refunds? That fair to those attending the game?

What happens if I a team is decimated by Injury at a specific position but said player has to sit his 2 games? You want a PS OT protecting Tom's Blindside? You going to have 2  regular season games basically  become Preseason Games with numerous backups Starting the same games?

You going to carry 2 Kickers and Punters? Sign one off the street just for a week? Ask him back 7 weeks later, be on call? Whole can of worms will be opened if that scenario is remotely implimented.

If the NFLPA is stupid enough to agree to 18 games, then players better be ready to play 18 gms, period!

Well first 90% of the tickets are sold to season ticket holders.    I don't pay to see Brady, I pay to see the team.   The coach has the right to start the BU then that game and Brady then gets a credit for one of the games he must sit.   The logistics can be worked out by the nfl and the union.  The object is that the league wants more money, the union wants safety and more jobs. 

The Pats have just played 76 real games over the last 4 years to have that increased to 84 over the next 4 is asking for trouble.

23 minutes ago, patman said:

The Pats have just played 76 real games over the last 4 years to have that increased to 84 over the next 4 is asking for trouble.

I agree, hence why a 18 gm regular season should never be approved by the NFLPA. This will be the sticking point that results in the eventual holdout that is coming with the New CBA on the horizon!

PS: Once Brady and or Belichick retire,  you won't have to worry about the Patriots having that kind of a workload increased over a 4 year stretch do to a 18 gm regular season. 

Would something like this work? I'd prefer to just leave it at 16 though.

Weeks 1-6
Week 7 - NFC BYE (schedule AFC Divisional match-ups)
Week 8 - AFC BYE (schedule NFC Divisional match-ups)
Weeks 9 - 13
Week 14 - NFC BYE (schedule AFC Divisional match-ups)
Week 15 - AFC BYE (schedule NFC Divisional match-ups)
Weeks 16 - 20

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 8:02 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another money driven idea that’s an absolute turdburger for the teams actual fans.

Maybe the teams actual fans are worldwide? This isolationist attitude is what's previously stopped the sport from growing and being even bigger and better

12 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I agree, hence why a 18 gm regular season should never be approved by the NFLPA. This will be the sticking point that results in the eventual holdout that is coming with the New CBA on the horizon!

PS: Once Brady and or Belichick retire,  you won't have to worry about the Patriots having that kind of a workload increased over a 4 year stretch do to a 18 gm regular season. 

The unions objections is why I proposed  limiting individual players to 16 games. The union keeps it players safe, the rosters are increased, and the cap goes up.  The league mes more tv and sponsor money. Win win.  Regardless of whether it is the pats or the next dynasty  pitt/sf/dallas/NE it will be some team that will be hammered after back to back SB appearances.