Sign in to follow this  
AlNFL19

Positional Importance?

For those of you that factor positional importance into draft grades and such, how do you do so specifically?

Posted (edited)

It's a fine line to walk.  It would be dumb to ignore it entirely, but the value "absolutists" drive me up the wall.  If you have an elite player, you take him regardless of position.  Saquon Barkley and Quenton Nelson are prime examples.  If you pass them up because you don't think RBs or OGs should go in the first, you might just be insane (hi PFF).

Edited by bananabucket

On 2019-05-31 at 12:43 PM, AlNFL19 said:

For those of you that factor positional importance into draft grades and such, how do you do so specifically?

It’s quite simple for me. I “downgrade” one or two positions. If there’s an RB or LB who is a borderline 1st rounder, I let someone else take him and I grab another guy I think might be a good value between rounds 2-4. A sleeper if you will.

I don’t however, overlook guys like Todd Gurley or Luke Kuechley. Those guys are safe top 15 picks all day.

On the other hand, you’re almost forced to over-value certain positions. Say, QB or CB. If you think a guy is a borderline 1st, you’re almost forced to show your confidence and trade into the teens to grab him. Many times I’ve felt like CBs have been overdrafted. Some teams prove me right. Some prove me wrong. But many, many reach for the athletic guy, or the big strong guy that they think fits what they do. And the QB thing needs no explanation.

12 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

It’s quite simple for me. I “downgrade” one or two positions. If there’s an RB or LB who is a borderline 1st rounder, I let someone else take him and I grab another guy I think might be a good value between rounds 2-4. A sleeper if you will.

I don’t however, overlook guys like Todd Gurley or Luke Kuechley. Those guys are safe top 15 picks all day.

On the other hand, you’re almost forced to over-value certain positions. Say, QB or CB. If you think a guy is a borderline 1st, you’re almost forced to show your confidence and trade into the teens to grab him. Many times I’ve felt like CBs have been overdrafted. Some teams prove me right. Some prove me wrong. But many, many reach for the athletic guy, or the big strong guy that they think fits what they do. And the QB thing needs no explanation.

Now that the league is more pass-heavy you're absolutely right that CBs are getting overdrafted because teams are running so many 3-4 WR sets and teams think they all can teach technique so long as the player is 6'0''+, with long arms and loose hips. The funny thing is I feel like CBs are getting overdrafted way more than WRs now who share similar raw traits.