RB Considerations... Duke Johnson & More

Toneloke38

It doesn't even seem real that we are so insanely deep at RB.  Chubb, Hunt, & Duke may make for the most talented trio that the Browns have ever fielded.

Due to future salary cap concerns it does make sense that Duke may get traded so the Browns will be able to resign Hunt for a longer term deal next year.  The greedy side of myself would love to see all 3 of them play together this year so we can dominate and wear out opponents with our triple threat trio.  If Duke does get traded I hope to finally see him get utilized more.  He's too talented to have to sit there on the sidelines and watch everyone else run the rock.

Dontrell Hilliard seems to be the lucky one as with Hunt serving an 8 game suspension this virtually guarantees he will make the opening day roster.  Despite the Browns staffers talking up Hilliard's ability, I don't think he is at the same level as Duke when it comes to running the ball.

If I really think about it i'm on the fence in respect to Duke.  As much as l like him if the Browns are going to continue to underutilize him then maybe we should trade him for draft picks and role with Chubb & Hunt as our thunder and lightning for now and the future.

What do you guys think?  Is it time to finally trade Duke and get some value back for him or is it time to finally utilize him and see how much workload he can actually handle?

Duke never has really excited me.

A role player at best.

Strikes me as a player that fans fall in love with for whatever reason(s) whose impact doesn't justify the love.

All for moving on from him and getting an asset or two.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Strikes me as a player that fans fall in love with for whatever reason(s)

Because he was our only source of offense during the dark Hue Jackson years. He signed an extension after we won 0 games. There are great reasons to love Duke Johnson. Is he an elite RB? No, but it doesn't mean he is overrated either. He's a very good player that might be redundant on our roster, but let's not pretend that he isn't valuable. If we do trade him, he will be great for his next team.

I'd just keep him. We're going to need him for the first 8 weeks and people forget that Kareem Hunt is a free agent after this year. If he has a great season, we aren't re-signing him for cheap. He's going to cost us an arm and a leg and I'd rather just roll with Chubb and Johnson in the future rather than pay Hunt a ton of cash.

We don't need to move Duke. We shouldn't move a valuable player just because we have a lot of depth there. It's not like teams are offering us valuable assets. I'd guess we've gotten low 4th/early 5th round picks at best for trade value. He's better than what we would get with that pick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's going to cost us an arm and a leg and I'd rather just roll with Chubb and Johnson in the future rather than pay Hunt a ton of cash.

I'd rather roll with Chubb and Hunt.

Money should be no big deal if we give Hunt Duke's money.

17 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Money should be no big deal if we give Hunt Duke's money.

That's a big "If".

Hunt is about 9x more talented than Duke Johnson. A slew of teams will want him, but they probably wanted to avoid the stigma of being the first team to take a chance on him again. If he keeps himself out of trouble, he'll be back on the market looking for a big deal.

I'd love to keep Hunt and Chubb. I just highly doubt he has destroyed his draft stock THAT much.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If he keeps himself out of trouble, he'll be back on the market looking for a big deal.

He will owe Dorsey one.

Already is bonding with Chubb and soon more so with Mayfield, Landry, Kitchens, etc.

Have to believe all that will factor and we will keep him.

31 minutes ago, bruceb said:

He will owe Dorsey one.

Already is bonding with Chubb and soon more so with Mayfield, Landry, Kitchens, etc.

Have to believe all that will factor and we will keep him.

We get him for two years  on a team friendly contract. If he gives 1.5 years of good play, some play off effort, and a 3rd or 4th round comp pick Dorsey and hunt will be more than even.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We get him for two years  on a team friendly contract. If he gives 1.5 years of good play, some play off effort, and a 3rd or 4th round comp pick Dorsey and hunt will be more than even.

I'll take that.

Unless, of course, that he shines so brightly that we have to keep him.

Hunt will be a RFA so we can tender him a 1st round pick and have him another year (or someonme's 1st).

I'm keeping Johnson because I'm thinking about 2019 not a mid round pick that may help us in 2020 or later. Our offense is a bit crowded but if Johnson is better than the player who would replace him, and he would be, then I'm keeping him. I'm all for worrying about the future and maybe we do that before the trade deadline if it doesn't look like our year but right now I'm doing what I can to make 2019 our year so I'm only interested in improving our roster not selling off an asset for future consideration.

• Like 5

The more I think about this the more puzzled I am about the loyalty in this forum to Johnson.

All we have heard about him the last two years is that he was underutilized.

Haley didn't use him much.

Freddy used him less.

If he is so damned valuable why wasn't he used?

Hint: Because he is not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

The more I think about this the more puzzled I am about the loyalty in this forum to Johnson.

Freddy used him less.

He has been 3rd, 1st and 4th (9 from 3rd) in yards for the Browns the last 3 years so it isn't like he hasn't been a contributor. For a 3rd down/receiving back you've gotten what would be expected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

Freddy used him less.

Loyalty is a good thing 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bruceb said:

Freddy used him less.

because it costs more to cut him then to keep him this year