RB Considerations... Duke Johnson & More

Toneloke38

19 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

For what duke actually does he makes very good money, Duke is not a bell cow back. And not for nothing there’s nothing duke does that hunt can’t do at the very least equal to duke

I think Duke could be a 700/700 guy as a lead back. He has been under utilized here.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, NudeTayne said:

Thought you went the way of @ACDC_Rocks024. Don't scare us anymore with extended absences like that!

This is my go to spot for draft talk and lead up to games but I've been focusing a lot on work and music lately and just didn't even open my laptop. 

BTW channeled my inner @ACDC_Rocks024 for a mini-tour with the band in the Carolinas and Tennessee for a week. Good times were had all around.

Edited by MistaBohmbastic
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

If Duke wants to sulk in public because the team DARED to bring in a player that would be an upgrade at Duke's position, let him.

Biggest misnomer. Not sure why it's been so misperceived. Duke's position and the facts bear it out that Duke only requested a trade request a month after he was put on the trade block citing being on the trade block as his reason and not b/c kareem hunt was signed. He then cited Carlos Hyde's mid-season trade and subsequent release in Jacksonville as a similar situation he recently witnessed and didn't want to experience with his career, himself, and family this year as he thought Carlos had to do a lot of catch-up.

Duke's been a great teammate, competitor, locker room presence, low-key, humble, hardworking guy during his tenure in Cleveland.

Now, that in a calm, rationale manner he has laid out his reasons for requesting a trade (b/c the team wanted to trade him), everyone wants to make him a bad guy, self-ish, and noncompetitor. 

It's funny.

57 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Duke's been a great teammate, competitor, locker room presence, low-key, humble, hardworking guy during his tenure in Cleveland.

Now, that in a calm, rationale manner he has laid out his reasons for requesting a trade (b/c the team wanted to trade him), everyone wants to make him a bad guy, self-ish, and noncompetitor. 

Agreed. It sucks he wants to leave, but let's be honest. He's better than being a 3rd string RB buried behind two bell cows. I don't blame him at all for wanting to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Biggest misnomer. Not sure why it's been so misperceived. Duke's position and the facts bear it out that Duke only requested a trade request a month after he was put on the trade block citing being on the trade block as his reason and not b/c kareem hunt was signed. He then cited Carlos Hyde's mid-season trade and subsequent release in Jacksonville as a similar situation he recently witnessed and didn't want to experience with his career, himself, and family this year as he thought Carlos had to do a lot of catch-up.

It's funny.

If Duke saw himself as a limited role player would he even have requested a trade?

Imo this is about the evaluation of the player. After giving him that contract the FO now has second thoughts after further evaluating his play. While Duke views himself as a lead type back.

The organizational reputation when Dorsey got here was that they let talent walk. Dorsey made sure Duke wasn't going anywhere...but it was just a bad contract. He may be all the things you mentioned but he's also not an impactful player.

That's why he went on the trade block... and that's why Duke takes such offense to it.

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

If Duke saw himself as a limited role player would he even have requested a trade?

Imo this is about the evaluation of the player. After giving him that contract the FO now has second thoughts after further evaluating his play. While Duke views himself as a lead type back.

The organizational reputation when Dorsey got here was that they let talent walk. Dorsey made sure Duke wasn't going anywhere...but it was just a bad contract. He may be all the things you mentioned but he's also not an impactful player.

That's why he went on the trade block... and that's why Duke takes such offense to it.

Despite what anyone thinks per se, what real reasons exactly does Duke have to believe he himself is just a limited role player?

For one, he entered the league as the most productive ball-carrier all time leader in Miami's storied school history and came out his junior year after an electric season 2nd only to Willis McGahee's magical junior year. He then played on a roster full of incompetent QB play and slappy street free agents during the golden "Bryce Treggs-Austin Paztor-Cam Erving Era" still producing at a top 5 pass catching back level with one year him being a top 3 pass catching back despite limited touches. He's averaged 70 carries or less going as low as 40 but has been productive ypc-wise so it's likely he believes in his ability.

He doesn't really have many reasons imo to believe that he can't make a bigger impact or being a leading back even if our assessment is different.

NFL biz is NFL biz. It's fine that the Browns wanted to trade Duke, and to me it's fine that Duke wanted to honor those wishes for his trade.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Despite what anyone thinks per se, what real reasons exactly does Duke have to believe he himself is just a limited role player?

For one, he entered the league as the most productive ball-carrier all time leader in Miami's storied school history and came out his junior year after an electric season 2nd only to Willis McGahee's magical junior year. He then played on a roster full of incompetent QB play and slappy street free agents during the golden "Bryce Treggs-Austin Paztor-Cam Erving Era" still producing at a top 5 pass catching back level with one year him being a top 3 pass catching back despite limited touches. He's averaged 70 carries or less going as low as 40 but has been productive ypc-wise so it's likely he believes in his ability.

He doesn't really have many reasons imo to believe that he can't make a bigger impact or being a leading back even if our assessment is different.

NFL biz is NFL biz. It's fine that the Browns wanted to trade Duke, and to me it's fine that Duke wanted to honor those wishes for his trade.

The flip side is that Duke doesnt have trade value. He would of been gone for a 4th rounder or 5th rounder but no one offered it, the browns value Duke more than 31 other teams in the nfl. If they wanted him they could of had him. 

I am for what Duke has done, but I am also for what the browns have done, both parties are acting within their rights in a reasonable fashion. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

We cant call much of our coaching competent since he has been drafted. 

Pettine/Flip

Hue

Hue/haley

Would you call Freddie competent? Cause Duke pretty much had similar stats under Hue and Haley as Freddie. I think he had more yards under Hue/Haley but more TDs under Freddie.

i think duke is a great role player but he isn’t a player you build an offense around.  

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Would you call Freddie competent? Cause Duke pretty much had similar stats under Hue and Haley as Freddie. I think he had more yards under Hue/Haley but more TDs under Freddie.

i think duke is a great role player but he isn’t a player you build an offense around.  

He wasn't going to take many carries away from Chubb and rightfully so. He probably should have split more carries with Crowell in the past. He isn't Chubb though and he isn't Hunt so he will be limited again this year if he wears orange and brown. If Baker would have been less aggressive last year he would have had more catches. Baker probably will be less aggressive this year so the first 8 games there may be more opportunity here in that aspect, opposing defenses certainly can't use any of their top coverage players on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I like the way the boy's are closing ranks and making this a non issue.

Tremendous leadership by Landry who has handled the Duke questions perfectly since the very beginning like a vet with the foresight into how his "we support and love Duke, but want him here to work and pray things can work out business-wise and be resolved soon" answer would prevent media from trying to drive a wedge and hype up teammate and/or front office-player conflict.