RB Considerations... Duke Johnson & More

Toneloke38

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I respect the way Baker handled this......Your either On this Train...or your not.....Conductor Mayfield....

are-you-not-into-trains-conductor-735414

Duke did nothing wrong. He's been professional. Why is it that a team/organization can decide when to trade a player and move their family and effect their career whenever they want, but when that player gets wind of their being on the trading block it becomes some cardinal sin to say "well if you want to entertain trading me... cool... here's my formal trade request in alignment with your actions as a front office."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Duke did nothing wrong. He's been professional. Why is it that a team/organization can decide when to trade a player and move their family and effect their career whenever they want, but when that player gets wind of their being on the trading block it becomes some cardinal sin to say "well if you want to entertain trading me... cool... here's my formal trade request in alignment with your actions as a front office."

Agreed. No grudges, and I respect him as a player and will cheer for him on another team.

3 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'd say Duke made a few enemies in the building the last few weeks.

Any grown men with families and careers that paid attention to how this thing played out would have no problem with wha Duke has done: Team puts Duke on the trading block, Duke request a formal trade a month later; skips voluntary OTAs, shows up for mandatory OTAs; says he won't be disgruntled and will be professional... states his reasons why he wants to still be traded based on his perception of not wanting to go the way of Carlos Hyde midseason trade last year, wanting to take his career into his own hands, and FO disloyalty via putting him on the trade block (not based on the signing of Hunt).

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I was a HUGE fan of Duke......but with this madness going on???

LOL...

It's hilarious and predictable that everyone wants to act like Duke Johnson has done something wrong, like he's being unreasonable, or has handled things poorly. 

It's even funnier when people celebrate Odell Beckham and/or ignore how he went about his trade request on major platforms but want to criticize Duke for handling things like a professional whom requests a switch to a different employer. Duke's not a slave and the business of football  makes way via a mechanism called a trade for players that are disgruntled and/or for players whose teams would rather exchange them for another player to find new homes all while being professional.

It's ridiculous and sad to see the bashing of Duke and piling on just because he requested a trade from our beloved team with just cause to do so.

He did not want to be traded because Kareem Hunt was signed, and his request had nothing to do with competitive issues. Instead, he wants to be traded because he was put on the trading block privately and publicly, has been deemed by key decision makers in the FO as mostly expendable, as well as his belief that he'll likely be traded during the season a la Carlos Hyde and would prefer to get out ahead of things before such an event takes place.

Again, John Dorsey has been beyond amazing, but people need to stop acting like he's infallible. Highly successful people make mistakes too. This is on Dorsey. There was no need to say the "not expendable yet" and put Duke on the trade block if we intended to keep him. There was no reason to shop Duke and deal with the blowback if we didn't intend to follow through on a trade. Dorsey will continue to be amazing and make mistakes like humans do.

Baker is in the wrong in deeming it "self-inflicted" because John Dorsey said "Baker's not expendable yet" and there were public and private trade inquiries entertained then Baker of all people would request to leave. Loyalty was a major factor in why Baker left Texas Tech. If the shoe was on the other foot, he'd likely be on the same wavelength as Duke. This is Dorsey/FO inflicted. Dorsey is still amazing but we have to call it like it is and move on. Baker will continue to be great likely as well as continue to make mistakes because he's a human being and that's what we do.

Duke hasn't done public sitdowns with media members on television to voice his displeasure nor has he gone online bashing the team or passive aggressively doing stuff. He simply formally requested a trade a month after he was put on the trade block.

Baker's young and the core of his comments "that we need guys that are all in" is the right one, but it's not the right approach to act as if Duke or any other player in such situations is in the wrong as this won't be the last time a teammate will feel or be wronged by the organizations and the media will try to have him pick a side. Peyton and Brees learned how to walk that fine line of not alienating guys with just grievances against the team/FO along with the guys in the locker room that happen to understand and sympathize/empathize with Duke's situation.

I wish Duke would stay. He's doesn't want to. He was a good player and teammate for our team. I wish him well.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 4

Mind I agree with you.

Baker and Freddie better produce or personalities like theirs turn things really ugly in a lockeroom. I’m cool with them taking shots at people outside of the locker room. However, when you start talking about your own guys, you get the Steelers mess from the past year.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Here’s the confirmation that duke is in the wrong - mind agrees with him 

• Like 2

I would agree with Mind if we actually had good intel that we put him on the block. It sounds like we listened to offers on the player (which probably happens about a ton of players). Short of us coming out to actually shop him and trying to move on from him, i see nothing wrong from the team. If they wanted him gone, they could have dumped him for pennies. I also don't have much problem with people calling him out. When you make it known to the world that you don't want to be a part of this team, how should that make the teammates feel towards that player?

If we DID proactively shop him, that would be a bit different. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Here’s the confirmation that duke is in the wrong - mind agrees with him 

Lol.

It's easy to discount information that doesn't confirm your opinion especially when it comes from people you don't like or disagree with.

It takes mental capacity/strength to see truth for truth irrespective of the messenger.

14 minutes ago, mistakey said:

duke johnson made 5.9M last year and is guaranteed 2.3M this year.  if thats not loyalty i dont know what is.  complainy whiner

So, if your job paid you well 12 months ago, but then a few months ago called you expendable, no longer valued your work, and actively tried to replace you're saying it would make you a "complainy whiner" to exercise your employee rights to formally be transferred to another division/department within the company/NFL that values your sacrifice/work and allows your family the ability to not be moved mid-season/mid-school year???

Lol... Got it...