RB Considerations... Duke Johnson & More

Toneloke38

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Skipping past all RB drama this is nice to know: https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/16/the-browns-are-loaded-with-elusive-running-backs/

No idea what it means, but it sounds good.

Makes sense. It’s why I thought we would have really liked David Montgomery. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1097212338216812545

It’s a tackling sport.

Three of the top four running backs in PFF’s elusiveness ratings in 2018 now play for the Browns, led by Nick Chubb and his NFL-best 103.3 score. Duke Johnson checks in at second on the list, while newcomer Kareem Hunt finished fourth in 2018.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 3:24 AM, Mind Character said:

Despite what anyone thinks per se, what real reasons exactly does Duke have to believe he himself is just a limited role player?

For one, he entered the league as the most productive ball-carrier all time leader in Miami's storied school history and came out his junior year after an electric season 2nd only to Willis McGahee's magical junior year. He then played on a roster full of incompetent QB play and slappy street free agents during the golden "Bryce Treggs-Austin Paztor-Cam Erving Era" still producing at a top 5 pass catching back level with one year him being a top 3 pass catching back despite limited touches. He's averaged 70 carries or less going as low as 40 but has been productive ypc-wise so it's likely he believes in his ability.

He doesn't really have many reasons imo to believe that he can't make a bigger impact or being a leading back even if our assessment is different.

NFL biz is NFL biz. It's fine that the Browns wanted to trade Duke, and to me it's fine that Duke wanted to honor those wishes for his trade.

I'm sure many players believe they're the best out there, but I think someone in their employ has got to be objective and give them perspective.

Great record setting college career but he was just a mid 3rd round prospect.

He's averaged just 75 carries a season for his career despite not missing any games...that's less than 5 carries a game for four seasons. 

And he's got a pretty high fumble rate on those limited carries.

Good stats as a pass catching back, but for his first 3 seasons it was on a team that averaged just over 1 win a season. And as you said much of it was on poor passing teams. That makes his catching stats less relevant imo, not something to tout...the outlet RB is the easiest option for a bad offense. His most wins actually came when he was used the least...last season.

He's had four pretty good coordinators and none of them thought he was a lead type guy. In fact his usage has diminished every year.

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Don't know whether this has been posted but damn I love Jake Burns and do not give a rat's butt about Johnson: https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/06/f9f32428ca9834/what-role-can-dontrell-hilliard-make-his-own-in-the-cleveland-browns-2019-offense.html

Jake Burns is one of the better hires the PD has made in years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...