RB Considerations... Duke Johnson & More

Toneloke38

My opinion on this really depends on the terms of his contract and how much of it we will pay him even if we cut him at some point.  On one hand he gets paid to put very little mileage on his body and potentially remains relevant enough to get another contract.

The way Duke is acting though is as if he'll never see the money we already signed him to, and we are gonna ruin his shot somewhere else

I don't totally understand the terms od his contract, but I think the first point is more likely.  Which means this is just Duke's ego getting in the way and he needs detach.

I do feel bad for him.

• Like 1

Carlos Hyde was beloved in the locker room as new culture leader committed to all things football all day all the time.

He fought for every yard (he got that 1st down in Oakland dammit) and played through injuries and the pending birth of his child.

We thanked him by shipping him to another team a month later. He and his wife returned to native Cleveland to be around family. The two decided to put down roots, buy a permanent home, and were grateful to be back around family. Then, he gets a call that says "now time to move to another state." Duke watched that happen ... all the players watched it happened. The reaction was that it is a cut throat business.

This is a business. When teams get rid of players fans don't give a f*ck. They may say something for a brief moment, but no one questions the teams right to do what it did. When a player decides to take his life/career into his own hands and demand a trade after being shopped on the trading block and being said to "not be expendable yet" everyone is pissed at that player and thinks the player is  a whiny b#tch ..

What a time to be alive...

• Like 1

My biggest issue with Duke is he got pissy when we improved the team by adding Hunt. He got an overvalued contract by putting up mediocre numbers (you want to talk loyalty Duke?) for an RB that really not great. He’s a guy that’s afraid of competition. We added talent that can help this team to higher highs, and he’s afraid. Just get in there to compete not complain. You got 8 games to showcase your supposed skills. Man up and beat the other guys out. Why doesn’t he?

17 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Carlos Hyde was beloved in the locker room as new culture leader committed to all things football all day all the time.

He fought for every yard (he got that 1st down in Oakland dammit) and played through injuries and the pending birth of his child.

We thanked him by shipping him to another team a month later. He and his wife returned to native Cleveland to be around family. The two decided to put down roots, buy a permanent home, and were grateful to be back around family. Then, he gets a call that says "now time to move to another state." Duke watched that happen ... all the players watched it happened. The reaction was that it is a cut throat business.

This is a business. When teams get rid of players fans don't give a f*ck. They may say something for a brief moment, but no one questions the teams right to do what it did. When a player decides to take his life/career into his own hands and demand a trade after being shopped on the trading block and being said to "not be expendable yet" everyone is pissed at that player and thinks the player is  a whiny b#tch ..

What a time to be alive...

I was reading on article about it on NFL.com today and it stated that he asked to be traded a month before he was put on the trading block. Not saying your point is not valid, but seems he did this more because of additions than because of be supposedly upset he was being shopped.

1 minute ago, pscottdai said:

I was reading on article about it on NFL.com today and it stated that he asked to be traded a month before he was put on the trading block. Not saying your point is not valid, but seems he did this more because of additions than because of be supposedly upset he was being shopped.

Either the article was misprinted with incorrect facts or you read it wrong.

I followed it as it unfolded. The sequence was: 1.) We sign Kareem Hunt in February; 2.) Dorsey has the presser and says "Duke's not expendable YET in February," 3.) Speculation begins that Duke is on the trading block late February, 4.) Various sources including agents, personnel execs, beat writers for various teams, etc come out and say that Duke Johnson is indeed being actively shopped along with players like Kevin Zeitler late February and Early March; 5.) Zeitler and Peppers are traded Early March, 6.) Trades about Duke Johnson continue to make news throughout March including draft day trades from a wide variety of reports; 6.) Early April, Duke Johnson requests to be traded...

Duke did not request a trade before he was "shopped." The facts on the ground support that conclusion. Less importantly and less meaningfully as it could've been distorted truth Duke confirmed that today as well in his presser.

3 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

@Mind Character

No, no, no. Duke didn't suddenly want out when he found out the team had shopped him...he was already unhappy about his role. That's the crux of it. He thinks he's more than just a limited role player. 

I'd imagine the team shopped him because, essentially, they don't agree and they recognize they're paying him more than he's worth. 

It's self inflicted because the guy thinks he's better then he is and became disgruntled over his role, then offended he was being shopped around. 

6 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

My biggest issue with Duke is he got pissy when we improved the team by adding Hunt. He got an overvalued contract by putting up mediocre numbers (you want to talk loyalty Duke?) for an RB that really not great. He’s a guy that’s afraid of competition. We added talent that can help this team to higher highs, and he’s afraid. Just get in there to compete not complain. You got 8 games to showcase your supposed skills. Man up and beat the other guys out. Why doesn’t he?

You're both making the major assumption that Duke's trade request was because we added Kareem Hunt and his touches were going to go down and not because Duke was shopped. Those are dots a lot of people are connecting, but why is that true? Is that what Duke actually felt as justification for asking for a trade or are people projecting those feeling justifications for his trade request on to him?

Duke and his agent knew Kareem would be suspended most of the season. He didn't request a trade when we drafted a RB at the top of the 2nd Nick Chubb who got all the carries nor did he do so when we signed a RB in Carlos Hyde who was the leading ball carrier at first. He came out last year and talked about how despite his frustrations with not touching the ball he was all in ... how he talked to Tyrod and it renewed his perspective on team. He is primarily used as pass catching option since he's been here and understands that his touches come in a variety of ways, but was okay sacrificing his touches as long as he felt appreciated and part of the team.

It's fine to doubt the truth of Duke's statements today. Although, He explicitly stated that his trade request had nothing to do with adding Kareem Hunt to the RB room but because his name was in trade discussions and that signaled to him it was time to move on. Whether you believe him or not, Duke's never been the type of guy/player to just lie or distort his true feelings.

The flow of reports in real time as well as all support the conclusion that while Duke was frustrated with his usage the straw that broke the camel's back was him being shopped in trade and soon to be "expendable." That is what caused the formal trade request. That's according to Duke's words but more importantly based on how the request and flow information played out in real time.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You're both making the major assumption that Duke's trade request was because we added Kareem Hunt and his touches were going to go down and not because Duke was shopped. Those are dots a lot of people are connecting, but why is that true? Is that what Duke actually felt as justification for asking for a trade or are people projecting those feeling justifications for his trade request on to him?

Duke and his agent knew Kareem would be suspended most of the season. He didn't request a trade when we drafted a RB at the top of the 2nd Nick Chubb who got all the carries nor did he do so when we signed a RB in Carlos Hyde who was the leading ball carrier at first. He came out last year and talked about how despite his frustrations with not touching the ball he was all in ... how he talked to Tyrod and it renewed his perspective on team. He is primarily used as pass catching option since he's been here and understands that his touches come in a variety of ways, but was okay sacrificing his touches as long as he felt appreciated and part of the team.

It's fine to doubt the truth of Duke's statements today. Although, He explicitly stated that his trade request had nothing to do with adding Kareem Hunt to the RB room but because his name was in trade discussions and that signaled to him it was time to move on. Whether you believe him or not, Duke's never been the type of guy/player to just lie or distort his true feelings.

The flow of reports in real time as well as all support the conclusion that while Duke was frustrated with his usage the straw that broke the camel's back was him being shopped in trade and soon to be "expendable." That is what caused the formal trade request. That's according to Duke's words but more importantly based on how the request and flow information played out in real time.

It’s pretty obvious what happened mind. He’s a beta that can’t take competition. 

B.I.L confirmed. Imminent pending 

Grossi just came out with a article summing up the day and said in it that a source said Duke Johnson was 'furious' when he heard Bakers comments after the day.

So theres that. Yay drama. Look, I love Bakers confidence and take no crap attitude. But between the Hue Jackson berating (the second time) last year, the going a little too far with Colin Cowherd last week and drawing a line in the sand with your own teammate.........whew. I cant help but feel like I really hope he dials it back one notch or two. I feel like hes gone just 1 unneeded step too far on multiple occasions now. Its almost like this all sounds awesome now, but will get really old really fast if he keeps acting like this in year 3+

Edited by AkronsWitness

Duke made it clear the only reason he's at camp is because he has to be. He claimed he understood the nature of the business but then said there's nothing that could repair the relationship. That's a distraction. 

If he had good solidiered it and said I can't control blah, blah all I can do is play football, blah, blah.. Baker wouldn't have said anything. 

Baker responded about a guy that's causing a distraction and said he wants to be traded. It's all off the cuff and emotional but it's warranted.  

@Mind Character

Being put on the trade block may have broke the camel's back but you don't really want a guy around that's even quietly fuming about his role. Especially an expensive one. Regardless of when he formally asked out, he hasn't been happy with his usage since early Hue. It's entirely possible that all of this went into the decision to shop him in the first place.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Grossi just came out with a article summing up the day and said in it that a source said Duke Johnson was 'furious' when he heard Bakers comments after the day.

So theres that. Yay drama. Look, I love Bakers confidence and take no crap attitude. But between the Hue Jackson berating (the second time) last year, the going a little too far with Colin Cowherd last week and drawing a line in the sand with your own teammate.........whew. I cant help but feel like I really hope he dials it back one notch or two. I feel like hes gone just 1 unneeded step too far on multiple occasions now. Its almost like this all sounds awesome now, but will get really old really fast if he keeps acting like this in year 3+

Certainly possible. 

Grossi isnt reliable or authoritative. 

Where you at on  this @MistaBohmbastic

This is who Baker is and he's not going to change. Either you like it/ will learn to like it, or he's going to rub u the wrong way for the next decade. 

I wouldn't have said the things he did, but they truly give 0 bleeps about anyone not there or not wanting to be there. Bet he doesnt make the comments if Duke doesnt tell the world he doesn't want to be there.

Also, I'd be surprised if Toni has any sources at this point. 

I get Duke’s frustration. It’s a business; he understands that, but it’s different when you’re actually living it. I wouldn’t want to get traded mid season either, but that’s life. Watching Hyde go through it last year is on his mind, I’m sure. The saddest part is Hyde got moved because Hue and Haley were idiots.

Cold hard facts, though. Duke is a good, not great, player who is overpaid. He pocketed like $6 million last year, and the cash goes down from here. I still doubt whether we truly “shopped” him, rather than just listening to offers. Hopefully, he finds the right landing spot, and this doesn’t become a big distraction.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 9:00 PM, Kiwibrown said:

We get him for two years  on a team friendly contract. If he gives 1.5 years of good play, some play off effort, and a 3rd or 4th round comp pick Dorsey and hunt will be more than even.

How do you figure we get him for 2 years?  It's a 1 year deal.  He WILL be a RFA.  So we will likely place at least a 2nd round tender on him.    But that doesn't mean a team won't give him a contract we won't match.  

Until Duke doesn't show up for practice, or sits out of a game, there is no story here.   Granted continuing to have this discussion in the media is going to lead to strife,  it's also going to increase the likelihood we trade him for a bag of half eaten chips just to remove the drama from the locker room.  

• Like 1