Your team's potential draft gem?

Suffering_Bills

2 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I remember the pre-draft Bob McGinn quotes about Josh Oliver. Saying he went through three coordinators and how San Jose State has terrible facilities, nutrition, etc and how Oliver would really blossom in the NFL over time. We'll see. 

He's looked really good in these underwear practices so thats a start

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I guess the only one that fits for the Colts is Khari Willis.  If he can beat out Clayton Geathers for the starting SS spot then he could make somewhat of an impact.

I could make an argument for many players in the Colts draft. 

Willis is a decent choice. If he steals the starting SS job anytime by the end of 2020 he could run away with it. I thought he was underestimated on tape with the pre-draft early 6th-UDFA projections. Kid jumped off tape a lot. 

Bobby Okereke is an option. If he can improve upon the instincts shown by Anthony Walker and become a steady “Mike” next to Leonard, and makes one splash play per game, he could have a powerful impact.

If Marvell Tell is even on the team in 2021, at any position, then I think he might qualify.

I can make an argument for Gerri Green in the 6th, or Ben Banogu, if he reaches his ceiling.

But just to stand out, I will make my actual choice either 7th round O-linemen. Jackson Barton (26th) or Javon Patterson (32nd). If either player sticks on the roster, and is thrust into action due to injury, then they probably already qualify for the purposes of this thread. That will mean they stole a meaningful backup role from an incumbent player. If we win 50+ percent of the snaps they play then they’ve already exceeded expectations. I hope even one makes the final 53. I think that would mean a depth improvement at worst. 

But the sleeper to make a surprise impact, would most likely be Khari Willis or Ben Banogu. Draft position says Banogu is expected to make an impact. But his tape doesn’t make him worthy of that draft slot, IMO. So potential and a hell of a combine helped him land there. We’ll see if he proves to be worth it

• Like 1

I would reach way out there and say Sutton Smith.  Smith has excelled at all levels and I think the Steelers give him a chance to gain strength and weight this season.  At the very minimum, they have a ST captain but I think he can play.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Well, he WAS your guys' highest pick. I'd be more inclined to go with Khalen Saunders, personally.

Juan Thornhill has a good shot too. Hes penciled in as the starter at FS by week one

17 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I remember the pre-draft Bob McGinn quotes about Josh Oliver. Saying he went through three coordinators and how San Jose State has terrible facilities, nutrition, etc and how Oliver would really blossom in the NFL over time. We'll see. 

I love Josh Oliver. He has some Gronk to his game (as a receiver and RAC guy). He could be a good blocker, but was never really asked to play in-line in college. But he is freaking smooth for a big TE. 

9 hours ago, jebrick said:

I would reach way out there and say Sutton Smith.  Smith has excelled at all levels and I think the Steelers give him a chance to gain strength and weight this season.  At the very minimum, they have a ST captain but I think he can play.

Love Sutton Smith. That's a great place for him to land too. Hopefully he busts (Brown fan here), but I really like his game. Crafty pass rusher. Probably the most nuanced pass rusher outside of Clellin Ferrell in the entire draft.

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Juan Thornhill has a good shot too. Hes penciled in as the starter at FS by week one

Yeah, I wanted thornhill on the niners because I viewed him as an immediate starter. Niners have a giant hole at FS. 

17 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Hes probably the leading contender for backup rb and its almost a guarantee that fournette misses some time. 

Yea...but that's like saying Chris Ivory is a potential gem...Armstead just isn't good. The fact he is the backup just says how bad our depth is

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Love Sutton Smith. That's a great place for him to land too. Hopefully he busts (Brown fan here), but I really like his game. Crafty pass rusher. Probably the most nuanced pass rusher outside of Clellin Ferrell in the entire draft.

They are giving Smith every opportunity.  In OTAs he has gotten reps at OLB, ILB and FB.