2019 Darling of Camp

dll2000

Who do you think will emerge as camp favorite this year?

Usually it’s a late round pick or UDFA or local product or underdog in some way. 

I think last year it was Wims.  Could have been Tolliver, but he got hurt just when he started making noise.  

Previous year was Gentry and before that some say Braverman, but Braverman never really made many plays even in practice except on air.  Not going to go through whole history.

I think Cohen was an instant favorite as well. 

I think it’s going to be Shelley because he is small which gives him underdog like-ability and I think he is better than people assume.  Also he seems to have a dynamic out going personality and charisma.   

Whyte, Hall and Raymond make some wow plays they could easily rocket up list. Whyte and Hall have the speed, Raymond has the hands. 

Betts I doubt is good enough to be consistent, but I bet he makes a few big wow plays because he has some slick pass rush moves that will leave you grabbing air.  Unfortunately I bet he also gets pushed off screen a few times in run game. 

Denmark is a mystery.  Kind of an athletic project. 

Pineiro is a good call as any.  Remember the love for Pat. "Megapunt" or whatever. 

Now we can yell "Not Parki" for him. Lmao. 

I think Montgomery will be a fan favorite, but i am going with Hall. He has top shelf deep speed while we were below average in big plays and as an UDFA he will get a bonus level of love that may be objectively insane. Watch out if he has big plays on a few consecutive days. We are talking Gentry plus Jesus here. Lol. 

20 hours ago, G08 said:

I want to say I read a tweet saying that Piniero hasn't been looking too good... trying to find it

Like to see him get some more rope and chances based on raw ability and potential.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Like to see him get some more rope and chances based on raw ability and potential.  

A big leg is great but the problem you find with someone utilizing that much power/torque on his approach is less accuracy. It seems like that is rearing its head in OTAs but I don't know for sure. 

I like the kid and am rooting for him. 

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

A big leg is great but the problem you find with someone utilizing that much power/torque on his approach is less accuracy. It seems like that is rearing its head in OTAs but I don't know for sure. 

I like the kid and am rooting for him. 

He was 95% in college with several over 50.  College is wider hashes too.  NFL is mostly straight on kicks.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbits from Hoge and Jahns show:

Duke Shelley has been a stand out in mini camps according to Hoge Jahns and a guest they had, and at Bears celebration panel Bears personnel director Josh Lucas said, "Shelley will play a lot of football for a long time in Chicago." They are really liking him. Guest mentioned he had two pass break ups in end zone during practice that were really impressive.

Remember after draft Nagy said he won't teach rookies the Z because its too hard, even though he just did with Miller.  Ridley has been running in practice at Z with Miller out and by all accounts is looking really good.

H and J said Montgomery does not look slow at all and has been extremely impressive looking in how he moves.  Obviously there is no hitting.  They mentioned reporters thought Cohen caught a screen by way he was moving and turns out it was Montgomery.

They are really impressed with the first three draft picks and they dont usually say that at this time.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

That there are so many candidates for this is a great problem to have. All mentioned are good candidates, but this is also the first TC fans will get to see Mack too.

I think Stephen Denmark has a real chance to be a fan favorite this summer. He’s super fast and huge. He’s going to look like a create-a-player at corner in shorts. 

43 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That there are so many candidates for this is a great problem to have. All mentioned are good candidates, but this is also the first TC fans will get to see Mack too.

I think Stephen Denmark has a real chance to be a fan favorite this summer. He’s super fast and huge. He’s going to look like a create-a-player at corner in shorts. 

Listening to Hoge and Jahns podcast today with Kevin Fishbain on it, all three of them were in agreement that Monty, Ridley, and Shelley looked really good out there in OTAs, but they didn't mention Whyte or Denmark. It could just be because the first three guys are working with the 1st and 2nd team guys, while the other two are working with the 3s, but i found it interesting that the two guys out of our draft class that are seemingly "build a player" guys, whyte with his speed and denmark with his size, didn't really stand out when only in shorts

• Like 2