2019 Darling of Camp

dll2000

On 6/15/2019 at 5:05 PM, HuskieBear said:

Listening to Hoge and Jahns podcast today with Kevin Fishbain on it, all three of them were in agreement that Monty, Ridley, and Shelley looked really good out there in OTAs, but they didn't mention Whyte or Denmark. It could just be because the first three guys are working with the 1st and 2nd team guys, while the other two are working with the 3s, but i found it interesting that the two guys out of our draft class that are seemingly "build a player" guys, whyte with his speed and denmark with his size, didn't really stand out when only in shorts

Idk about Denmark, but there have been plenty of guys who talked about Whyte, including Hoge & Jahns.  

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The darling of camp has to be Montgomery, right? The fan base is largely predicting huge things from him. As far as guys a little further down the depth chart Wims is probably the guy to whom I’d point. 

I am judging it as an underdog who got the most praise.  

I don't think Montgomery or Wims qualify.  Monty was a 3rd round pick and Wims proved to be good player last year.

To me this award is more for new guys who are 6th round picks or lower.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think Montgomery or Wims qualify.  Monty was a 3rd round pick and Wims proved to be good player last year.

In that case I might go with Shelley.  He seems to have earned his way onto the roster.

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Then who is it? Duck?

23 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Well I give the camp darling award to Ian Bunting.

I would agree and unlike a Mike Haas or Tanner Gentry this guy probably deserves a shot on the roster...Sowell more than likely beats him out but Bunting has way more upside long term.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, soulman said:

In that case I might go with Shelley.  He seems to have earned his way onto the roster.

The award is for underdog who fans liked and talked about most during camp.

Shelley didn't garner that much fan talk.  He did, however, play very well.  He had one bad missed tackle in a game, but has been starter caliber overall and shown great instincts and upside.

Yet another veteran Bear was gushing about him in an interview.  This time it was Prince A.   Said the dude makes a lot of plays in practice and is a "dog". 

No question in my mind he makes roster and is a future fixture at nickel or possibly even outside. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The award is for underdog who fans liked and talked about most during camp.

Shelley didn't garner that much fan talk.  He did, however, play very well.  He had one bad missed tackle in a game, but has been starter caliber overall and shown great instincts and upside.

Yet another veteran Bear was gushing about him in an interview.  This time it was Prince A.   Said the dude makes a lot of plays in practice and is a "dog". 

No question in my mind he makes roster and is a future fixture at nickel or possibly even outside. 

One of the things Shelley was singled out for in that preseason video which analyzed ten plays and players was just how quickly he can close on a receiver or the ball.  We could see that in the video and even on that play against NYG where the receiver shed his tackle he covered a lot of ground very quickly to even get in position to make the attempt.

Contrast that to others including some of our ILBs who wouldn't even have gotten close enough to make the attempt and the receiver goes in untouched.  I think Prince is right.  That kid plays bigger than he is and he plays with a chip on his shoulder all the time letting anyone know that game's not too big for him.  I love that pick by Pace.

• Like 2