Opinion: NFL Needs to get rid of Compensatory Picks

Toneloke38

In a League with a salary cap where all teams have equal ability to pay players the same amount of money, it makes absolutely no sense to reward the good teams who can no longer afford their players who let them walk in Free Agency.  For example, awarding the Patriots each year Compensatory Picks keeps them better than other teams and gives them an unfair competitive advantage.  I understand that other teams could use the same scheme to get better, but it's the good teams that end up receiving all the benefit while the lesser teams tend to get stuck at the bottom as a result of not being able to receive compensatory picks, as they are generally the teams that need to add free agents to improve, and there lost free agents aren't of the same level/quality.

• Like 2

I guess I should have asked why you guys think it makes sense to have compensatory picks.  Why should teams be rewarded for losing players in free agency?  To me it seems non-sensical, and it typically hurts the Browns because that's generally more players that get picked before we get our allotted draft picks.

But yes the better run teams like the Patriots have built the process into their competitive advantage..

Edited by Toneloke38

Compensatory picks have very little to do with a teams record and everything to do with how teams manage their salary cap.   You say "good teams" get richer.  Well no they dont.  They do get younger, and tend to not overpay for FAs.  Bad teams continue to overpay for FA that really don't impact them as much as they hope for.

Some of this is likely to change when the CBA gets brought up before next year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Toneloke38 said:

I guess I should have asked why you guys think it makes sense to have compensatory picks.  Why should teams be rewarded for losing players in free agency?  To me it seems non-sensical, and it typically hurts the Browns because that's generally more players that get picked before we get our allotted draft picks.

It makes sense because it helps balance out the league. 

Worrying about a few extra players going at the end of the 3rd round is not something many teams do. Good teams anyway.