Opinion: NFL Needs to get rid of Compensatory Picks

Toneloke38

8 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Unlikely since it has nothing to do with the CBA, which is a labor agreement between the league and the player's union.

What I meant was they are talking about a strike until a new CBA is agreed to.  Which very likely has the potential to impact free agency.  Which subsequently will impact "good teams" strategy when it comes to free agency and comp picks.  

1 minute ago, Tomahawk said:

What I meant was they are talking about a strike until a new CBA is agreed to.  Which very likely has the potential to impact free agency.  Which subsequently will impact "good teams" strategy when it comes to free agency and comp picks.  

I guess it's all related in a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way, but any change to the Compensatory Pick process would be made by the league - without any sort of player input.

The intent of it is to balance the league.  The reality is it has proven to do the opposite.  The premier teams get better by replacing high paid aging vets with young healthy draft picks.  It has never worked as intended in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Toneloke38 said:

The intent of it is to balance the league.  The reality is it has proven to do the opposite.  The premier teams get better by replacing high paid aging vets with young healthy draft picks.  It has never worked as intended in my opinion.

It is intelligent to keep getting conp picks for averages players though. 

We have had 1 year where we could get comp picks on mass in the last decade 2015, we used it to our advantage. Comp picks help good and intelligent teams, and we are going to need 1-2 years of gaining comp picks in the next few years to stay strong. The reality is you can only afford to pay at best 3-4 guys top money the rest have to be young or on team friendly deals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toneloke38 said:

Holy Trolls... haha.. Ditch hasn't changed at all.

We're you on the old forum? @Tonelokes41

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

I was against comp picks as long as we were not getting them but I am ok with them now that we seem to be in line for them. :D

This

• Like 2

Comp picks were supposed to help compensate a team that lost a impactful free agent. What it turned in to, for the most part, were bad teams overpaying backups and role players from the good teams so yeah the system is broken. It isn't going to help small make teams because all NFL teams make a great profit and no owner should be strapped for cash (I know Davis' son was).

If you really lose an impactful starter then a late 3rd really isn't going to do much for you anyway. If you chose not to offer a contract to a role player you shouldn't be compensated for it so if they keep it then it should only consider players who were offered a qualifying offer from their previous team. If you offered X amount and the player signed elsewhere your pick would be from what your offer was.

I vote to eliminate and have an 8 round draft. I've been on that boat for awhile. It doesn't work as intended so why keep it.

28 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Because we stand to benefit from it.

Well yeah but I don't think it was intended to help teams that had an abundant of talent. If we go to the SB teams are going to overpay our 3rd WR and maybe our #3 CB who had a big game in the playoffs but that makes it more of a lottery than fair compensation. I don't care that much one way or the other because odds are a comp pick isn't going to be a starter in the league, even the 97th pick which would be about as high as you could get unless someone was stripped of a pick has like a 20% of becoming a solid starter.

They can wait 10 years to eliminate it now that we are on the other side of the spectrum but an 8th round just makes more sense with how the NFL works currently with tags and salary caps.