Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

What's everyone's thoughts on Van Jefferson. I really liked his cameo in the senior bowl, but didn't really take too much notice of him before the draft. I thought he would be a 4th round pick onwards, which a lot of the projections had him, but the consensus after the draft is that he's a potential sleeper. McVay obviously loves his technicians at WR and it's a position we typically do well in, so I was surprised we took a WR so high. 

For a polished route runner, with a reasonable catch radius, I was surprised that his speed at the Senior Bowl was the fastest recorded. As with anything there seems to be a lot of love for him now, but it'd be interesting to see what those who noticed him before the draft think. 

Do you think he can be a player on the same level as Kupp, Woods in this offence? Does he have a chance at becoming a starter sooner rather than later?

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Right after Jeudy & Lamb. @Counselor is right. He wouldn't have made it past Minnesota.

I honestly like him more than Jeudy.

I understand Jeudy has some amazing tools to be a a top WR/unique talent, but I just feel right now DeVonta is so much better.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kramxel said:

I honestly like him more than Jeudy.

I understand Jeudy has some amazing tools to be a a top WR/unique talent, but I just feel right now DeVonta is so much better.

I like him more than Jeudy as well. Last year he was the best WR at Alabama. I would have picked him before Ruggs/Jeudy or Lamb in this draft. 
It's crazy to think that next year's WR class seems even more stacked than the glorious one we just got

Edited by MagicMT

So I’ve got a dynasty keeper league and I have picks 8 and 9 in the first round 

I plan on drafting a receivers

but I’m not sure which ones has the best long term outlook. I’m guessing backs go top 5 picks 

so you’ve got 

with receivers 

mid Jeudy and Lamb go 6,7 what should I do 8 and 9

im leaning Ruggs and Jefferson. But I really love Aiyuk and Reagor too. It’s standard ppr. We got time but I’m tryna plan 😂 

2 hours ago, MagicMT said:

I like him more than Jeudy as well. Last year he was the best WR at Alabama. I would have picked him before Ruggs/Jeudy or Lamb in this draft. 
It's crazy to think that next year's WR class seems even more stacked than the glorious one we just got

But I thought he stayed because he knew he'd drop with Ruggs and Jeudy going pro this year?

On 4/29/2020 at 11:37 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Anything on KJ Osborn? I keep hearing returner, but is he a decent receiver?

I would ignore the returner aspect. That became a convenient reference point late in the season and leading up to the draft because he broke a couple of long ones and his stats look good. But overall he is not dangerous return guy. One gear and not particularly elusive. He's a weaver with good instincts. Obsborn wasn't even being used there by Miami until others disappointed like Jeff Thomas.

KJ Osborn transferred from Buffalo and instantly became one of the most respected and popular members of the team. He became a fan favorite largely because of that aspect and how it contrasted to so many recent goofballs the Canes have had, including Thomas. Not only a well spoken team captain type but also a solid route runner with sticky hands across the middle. He caught the back of the ball on some slants early in the season, which also led to his popularity because it was so stunning given the dropsie receivers Miami has fielded of late.

However, just when Osborn got the reputation for great hands he had some inexplicable drops in easy situations, like quick outs with nobody there. 

Osborn does not play as fast as his timed speed. He probably got drafted due to that sub-4.5 clocking. Canes fans thought he was more of a 4.6 type. That's what it looks like on the field. But Osborn is so dedicated I know darn well he worked on his start technique and everything else to squeeze the last hundredth out of his body. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, DerbyRam said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Van Jefferson. I really liked his cameo in the senior bowl, but didn't really take too much notice of him before the draft. I thought he would be a 4th round pick onwards, which a lot of the projections had him, but the consensus after the draft is that he's a potential sleeper. McVay obviously loves his technicians at WR and it's a position we typically do well in, so I was surprised we took a WR so high. 

For a polished route runner, with a reasonable catch radius, I was surprised that his speed at the Senior Bowl was the fastest recorded. As with anything there seems to be a lot of love for him now, but it'd be interesting to see what those who noticed him before the draft think. 

Do you think he can be a player on the same level as Kupp, Woods in this offence? Does he have a chance at becoming a starter sooner rather than later?

Jrry and I had a small discussion regarding him leading up to the draft. I personally had him as a mid-to-late 3rd rounder. I believe my #13 or #14 WR overall in this class. 

He's one of the top 5 best route runners in this class, so it makes sense why McVay wanted him (similar to why Shanahan wanted Aiyuk). My biggest issue with him is that he has a fairly soft play demeanor and isn't great at making plays through contention. He's relatively scrawny so if he's able to put on some additional weight and play with more assertiveness, I think it could be a really good pick. The route running and athleticism are there, which IMO are two things you can't coach up a whole lot. 

• Like 1

On 30/04/2020 at 7:14 PM, SteelKing728 said:

But I thought he stayed because he knew he'd drop with Ruggs and Jeudy going pro this year?

Well that was just my opinion and probably why I'm sitting on the couch on Sundays and not working for any NFL organization. 
It's probably a smart move for him as well, going into next year being the #1 target (or 2nd if Waddle steps up) for Alabama and having a chance of improving his stock.