Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Not enough YAC

Bigger WRs who aren’t physical confuse me a bit and I have a hard time not being biased in a negative way once I notice it. I got that with him a bit as I do with Collin Johnson. 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 1:35 AM, Jeezla said:

I think Jeudy is closer to Hopkins. Lamb is Tyler Boyd up until the catch, and then he turns into a tall and lean Kamara.

Not trying to be a ****, but that Jeudy comp is horrible man.

Jeudy is an elastic band, able to contort and transfer his weight laterally in a hiccup, to tie defensive backs in knots and create immense separation at any level of the field. He’ll step into the pros and be one of the elite route runners on day one.

One thing Jeudy is not, or at least, has not so far proven to be (because his play style hasn’t required it), is a contested catch savage with elite power through contact to ****** any ball. Skills that happen to be the primary attributes of Hopkins. Of course Hopkins can run routes like a beast and get open, all the greats have that ability, but his main way of winning is not remotely the same as that of Jeudy.

I’m from across the ocean so not a basketball guy, but I think the following analogy is correct. Hopkins is the power forward who wins with strength and body control at the point of contact. Jeudy is the point guard who wins before the point of contact with precision and quickness.

Hopkins is heavy metal, Jeudy is jazz.

• Like 6

I have the 1.01 and 1.05 in dynasty. I’m probably set on Swift at 1.01. It’s almost a certainty that one of the two WRs will be there at 1.05 for me. Jeudy is my man but I’m looking for clarity on Lamb should it be him that is left at the pick. I have long been a fan of Ceedee, but as I get deeper into the evaluation, I find I’m hesitating more and questioning his ability to separate at the pro level consistently.

Jeudy’s route running is so ridiculously developed and precise that he honestly carries practically no bust potential in my eyes. I can’t see how a player with the movement ability to get as open as he does can suddenly not be able to do the same in the NFL. Ceedee however... he has a ton of admirable skills with his yac and ball skills but I have seen many guys with similar attributes struggle to get open and get those opportunities going against top flight corners. If they can’t separate, they quickly become 50/50 ball guys at best and fade out.

What are your thoughts on Ceedee Lamb’s ability to create separation and be more than a ‘battle at the point of the catch’ guy in the pros?

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I have the 1.01 and 1.05 in dynasty. I’m probably set on Swift at 1.01. It’s almost a certainty that one of the two WRs will be there at 1.05 for me. Jeudy is my man but I’m looking for clarity on Lamb should it be him that is left at the pick. I have long been a fan of Ceedee, but as I get deeper into the evaluation, I find I’m hesitating more and questioning his ability to separate at the pro level consistently.

Jeudy’s route running is so ridiculously developed and precise that he honestly carries practically no bust potential in my eyes. I can’t see how a player with the movement ability to get as open as he does can suddenly not be able to do the same in the NFL. Ceedee however... he has a ton of admirable skills with his yac and ball skills but I have seen many guys with similar attributes struggle to get open and get those opportunities going against top flight corners. If they can’t separate, they quickly become 50/50 ball guys at best and fade out.

What are your thoughts on Ceedee Lamb’s ability to create separation and be more than a ‘battle at the point of the catch’ guy in the pros?

I think he's got solid short area quickness and changes gears deceptively. He's consistently beating guys with his first & second step after the catch despite not going all that fast. ....he's a skinny Allen Robinson to me.

Edited by BrownLeader

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Not trying to be a ****, but that Jeudy comp is horrible man.

Jeudy is an elastic band, able to contort and transfer his weight laterally in a hiccup, to tie defensive backs in knots and create immense separation at any level of the field. He’ll step into the pros and be one of the elite route runners on day one.

One thing Jeudy is not, or at least, has not so far proven to be (because his play style hasn’t required it), is a contested catch savage with elite power through contact to ****** any ball. Skills that happen to be the primary attributes of Hopkins. Of course Hopkins can run routes like a beast and get open, all the greats have that ability, but his main way of winning is not remotely the same as that of Jeudy.

I’m from across the ocean so not a basketball guy, but I think the following analogy is correct. Hopkins is the power forward who wins with strength and body control at the point of contact. Jeudy is the point guard who wins before the point of contact with precision and quickness.

Hopkins is heavy metal, Jeudy is jazz.

It's not a comp, I'm just saying I think Jeudy more closely resembles Hopkins than Lamb does. Neither guy is Hopkins.

Tyler Johnson deserves more recognition, so I want to highlight something about his game that really blows me away: his route tempo. Here are four plays:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

These four plays show Johnson varying his route tempo. Those variances show just how advanced he is in terms of his route running and football IQ. In the first play, you see a slower tempo off the LOS. This makes sense. It's a play-action passing play with an extra blocker, and Auburn isn't blitzing. Johnson comes off the line slower and throws a little shoulder fake in at the top of his route (to get the DB to move just a little in the wrong direction). By doing so, he gives his QB a large window between the DB covering him and the LB sucked up on the PA fake in which to throw. If he had come off the LOS with a less patient cadence, he would have run himself out of the window before the end of the PA fake.

In the second play, you see Auburn bringing a heavy blitz. You also see Johnson coming off the LOS with a lot more urgency. He knows he has to move quickly to get to the hole in the coverage because his QB is going to have a blitzer in his face. In the third play, Johnson recognizes that he has a one on one against a mismatch and is running a long-developing route (deep double move). He again comes off the LOS with urgency because he knows there is a mismatch to exploit and needs to move quickly in case there's pressure on his QB.

Finally, on the fourth play, we see Johnson come off the LOS with a slower tempo again. It's a PA fake with a lot of congestion in the middle of the field. He needs to give his QB a window coming off the fake. (Well, to be technical, it's an RPO.) Watch him leverage his stem outside to get the CB moving in the wrong direction and then cut back inside at just the right moment to be in a massive window when his QB is ready to throw. If he doesn't leverage this route properly and comes off the LOS with more urgency, he would have run himself into the congestion and prevented Morgan from having a window.

What this shows clearly to me is that Johnson has a high-level understanding of the big picture of what the offense is trying to do and is able to read defenses. Through his route running and route tempo, he's creating windows for his QB. He's also adapting his route based on what his offense is doing, what the defense is showing, and the potential match-up advantages he spots. Johnson isn't just a quick player who runs great routes. He has a high football IQ and a very advanced understanding of how to beat defenses.

• Like 8

On 1/7/2020 at 6:01 PM, Counselor said:

Does anyone else see Jarvis Landry in KJ Hill?

Sometimes I feel like these whack a do amateur sports writers browse our forum and steal our comparisons or evaluations. Unless some of you are these undercover trash column sports writers. Just read a yahoo article released today making this comparison.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Tyler Johnson deserves more recognition, so I want to highlight something about his game that really blows me away: his route tempo. Here are four plays:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

These four plays show Johnson varying his route tempo. Those variances show just how advanced he is in terms of his route running and football IQ. In the first play, you see a slower tempo off the LOS. This makes sense. It's a play-action passing play with an extra blocker, and Auburn isn't blitzing. Johnson comes off the line slower and throws a little shoulder fake in at the top of his route (to get the DB to move just a little in the wrong direction). By doing so, he gives his QB a large window between the DB covering him and the LB sucked up on the PA fake in which to throw. If he had come off the LOS with a less patient cadence, he would have run himself out of the window before the end of the PA fake.

In the second play, you see Auburn bringing a heavy blitz. You also see Johnson coming off the LOS with a lot more urgency. He knows he has to move quickly to get to the hole in the coverage because his QB is going to have a blitzer in his face. In the third play, Johnson recognizes that he has a one on one against a mismatch and is running a long-developing route (deep double move). He again comes off the LOS with urgency because he knows there is a mismatch to exploit and needs to move quickly in case there's pressure on his QB.

Finally, on the fourth play, we see Johnson come off the LOS with a slower tempo again. It's a PA fake with a lot of congestion in the middle of the field. He needs to give his QB a window coming off the fake. (Well, to be technical, it's an RPO.) Watch him leverage his stem outside to get the CB moving in the wrong direction and then cut back inside at just the right moment to be in a massive window when his QB is ready to throw. If he doesn't leverage this route properly and comes off the LOS with more urgency, he would have run himself into the congestion and prevented Morgan from having a window.

What this shows clearly to me is that Johnson has a high-level understanding of the big picture of what the offense is trying to do and is able to read defenses. Through his route running and route tempo, he's creating windows for his QB. He's also adapting his route based on what his offense is doing, what the defense is showing, and the potential match-up advantages he spots. Johnson isn't just a quick player who runs great routes. He has a high football IQ and a very advanced understanding of how to beat defenses.

Careful yahoo is going to steal this 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Very good post Jrry

I love Tyler Johnson. He's just tailor made for McVay's system. There are so many concepts that he executes well that translate directly into our system. I'm a Gator fan, and he's what people are hyping Van Jefferson up to be imo (not that Van is bad, but Johnson is better).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I love Tyler Johnson. He's just tailor made for McVay's system. There are so many concepts that he executes well that translate directly into our system. I'm a Gator fan, and he's what people are hyping Van Jefferson up to be imo (not that Van is bad, but Johnson is better).

Mahomes would love him. Would be a decent Watkins/Robinson replacement me thinks.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Sometimes I feel like these whack a do amateur sports writers browse our forum and steal our comparisons or evaluations. Unless some of you are these undercover trash column sports writers. Just read a yahoo article released today making this comparison.

Reminds me of E. Sanders(not as thick though). Very smooth player and route runner. Prob won't ever be a big numbers guy but he should be consistent and productive for whatever team he goes to.