Official 2020 WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

If you guys had 2 first round caliber WRs, you might have won more than 8 games.

You would think that...but our coaching staff was that bad until a couple years ago.  

There was zero development.  You would think they could have developed a couple guys by accident.  They could not.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Where do you think he would have been drafted?

Take away the blood clout issue and I think he would be in the 1st round mix.  I believe Gil Brandt made a tweet about him a few weeks ago saying he would have been a first rounder if he came out this year.

15 minutes ago, VanS said:

Just as a point of reference, Preston Williams (who was starting for the Dolphins this past season as a rookie before he blew out his knee) had to transfer from Tennessee in 2016 cause he wasn't getting playing time.  WR is a position Tennessee has been loaded at with talent the last few years.  Poor coaching and god awful QB play since 2016 tends to hide it since its such a dependant position.  

With that said, I'm actually extremely critical of Tennessee players since I watch them so much.  Remember how outspoken I was about Derek Barnett not being a 1st round prospect despite his insane production?  He was the most highly ranked prospect from Tennessee is years and I was his most outspoken critic on here.  

No, you're not. You tend to be more overly optimistic than extremely critical. You can point to Barnett, but we have Josh Dobbs and Cameron Sutton on the other side (not counting the plays this year).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VanS said:

Take away the blood clout issue and I think he would be in the 1st round mix.  I believe Gil Brandt made a tweet about him a few weeks ago saying he would have been a first rounder if he came out this year.

Well yeah, I think everyone would agree that he would have been a first rounder this year if he didn't have blood clots.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

You would think that...but our coaching staff was that bad until a couple years ago.  

There was zero development.  You would think they could have developed a couple guys by accident.  They could not.

Notice how Kyle Phillips (Jets) and Shy Tuttle (Saints) both came to Tennessee as 5 star prospects in 2015.  Neither did much of anything for 4 years.  Both end up as undrafted free agents last year who not only make the active roster for their respective teams but also start several games and play major snaps.  Emmanuel Moseley (49ers) went undrafted in 2017.  Two years later he was starting at CB in the Super Bowl opposite Richard Sherman.  And so on.

The 2015-16 Tennessee teams were loaded with guys currently playing or about to play in the NFL and somehow they never won more than 9 games.  

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

Notice how Kyle Phillips (Jets) and Shy Tuttle (Saints) both came to Tennessee as 5 star prospects in 2015.  Neither did much of anything for 4 years.  Both end up as undrafted free agents last year who not only make the active roster for their respective teams but also start several games and play major snaps.  Emmanuel Moseley (49ers) went undrafted in 2017.  Two years later he was starting at CB in the Super Bowl opposite Richard Sherman.  And so on.

The 2015-16 Tennessee teams were loaded with guys currently playing or about to play in the NFL and somehow they never won more than 9 games.  

Cause Dooley and Butch were abominations.  No argument there.

However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna put Callaway, Juaun, DT, or any other Tennessee player high on my board for this year.  Jeudy and Lamb are clearly superior to any of our WRs and its not close.  I could maybe see you making the argument for Callaway being in that third tier of WRs.  I love Juaun, but he is no Anquan.  DT had a big upside, but tiny floor.

Could they pan out?  Maybe.  Not gonna bet on it though.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, you're not. You tend to be more overly optimistic than extremely critical. You can point to Barnett, but we have Josh Dobbs and Cameron Sutton on the other side (not counting the plays this year).

Overly optimistic given what we have seen in the NFL thus far but that could easily change.  Both guys haven't even played out their rookie deals yet.   I still stand by my opinion that I am more critical than optimitic.  If I was optimistic I would be pushing the most highly regarded player from Tennessee in recent memory rather than being one of the lone negative voices against.  You would not believe how much Tennessee fans used to get on me for saying Barnett would not be a great pro given all the media hype surrounding him.  If I was the homer you claim I am I wouldn't have done that.

I simply have an indepedant view when it comes to evaluating players and I don't let the opinions of others influence me in the slightest.  Most people aren't like this.  They tend to follow a herd mentality and get easily influenced by whatever the consensus is.

21 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I see Shenault as a hybrid between a Deebo and a Percy Harvin...but bigger.

Thanks for the Percy Harvin comp.  I knew he reminded me of someone but couldn't quite get the name.  Harvin is who I was thinking.

14 hours ago, massraider said:

Duvernay made McGinn's list of top 100, maybe a 3rd rounder. 

Him going to BAL would be fun

Given how stacked this WR class is, that seems like it would be a pretty realistic spot for him to go. Seems he is certainly trending upwards by draft analysts as we get closer to the draft.

8 hours ago, VanS said:

Here are my final WR rankings:

1. Tee Higgins (Clemson) - Top 10 grade.....NFL comp: AJ Green
  2. Marquez Callaway (Tennessee) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: DeAndre Hopkins
  3. Bryan Edwards (South Carolina) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Allen Robinson
  4. Jauan Jennings (Tennessee) - 1st round grade......NFL comp: Carl Pickens
  5. KJ Hamler (Penn St.) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Desean Jackson/Tyreek Hill
  6. Brandon Aiyuk (Arizona St.) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Chris Godwin
  7. Laviska Shenault (Colorado) - 1st round grade
  8. Justin Jefferson (LSU) - 2nd round grade
  9. Denzel Mims (Baylor) - 2nd round grade.......NFL comp: Torrey Smith
  10. CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma) - 2nd round grade
  11. Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) - 2nd round grade
  12. Jeff Thomas (Miami) - 2nd round grade

Your lists are always entertaining. I need to read up more on Callaway and Thomas apparently. I also really like Jennings. I don't think that he will be draft in the first few rounds but he's a great football player...a blue collared guy who is going to figure out a way to stick in the league. I see him more as a move TE/big slot guy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VanS said:

Here are my final WR rankings:

1. Tee Higgins (Clemson) - Top 10 grade.....NFL comp: AJ Green
  2. Marquez Callaway (Tennessee) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: DeAndre Hopkins
  3. Bryan Edwards (South Carolina) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Allen Robinson
  4. Jauan Jennings (Tennessee) - 1st round grade......NFL comp: Carl Pickens
  5. KJ Hamler (Penn St.) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Desean Jackson/Tyreek Hill
  6. Brandon Aiyuk (Arizona St.) - 1st round grade.....NFL comp: Chris Godwin
  7. Laviska Shenault (Colorado) - 1st round grade
  8. Justin Jefferson (LSU) - 2nd round grade
  9. Denzel Mims (Baylor) - 2nd round grade.......NFL comp: Torrey Smith
  10. CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma) - 2nd round grade
  11. Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) - 2nd round grade
  12. Jeff Thomas (Miami) - 2nd round grade

Is this a serious post? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I see Shenault as a hybrid between a Deebo and a Percy Harvin...but bigger.

Laviska Shenault is going to be the WR that teams overthink in this draft and end up regretting the hell out of it after his rookie season.

He is this years DK Metcalf/Courtland Sutton.

This guy was rated coming into the year as a top 10 pick in this draft and WR1/WR2. He has gotten so little media coverage since his core injury and now guys like Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs and Justin Jefferson are now rated above him on most boards?

I get the injuries--but those injuries that he is now 100% from should not take him from being WR1/WR2 in this class to WR7. Teams are going to be making a BIG mistake by passing on him. 

I personally would love to see him in Green Bay with Rodgers, Adams and Jones. He reminds me so much of Brandon Marshall.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Laviska Shenault is going to be the WR that teams overthink in this draft and end up regretting it after his rookie season.

He is this years DK Metcalf/Courtland Sutton.

This guy was rated coming into the year as a top 10 pick in this draft and WR1/WR2. He has gotten so little media coverage since his core injury and now guys like Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins and Justin Jefferson are now rated above him on most boards?

I get the injuries--but those injuries should not take him from being WR1/WR2 in this class to WR7. Teams are going to be making a mistake by passing on him

Yeah his injury has put him out of the minds of most draft sites. But when healthy I love his physical play and versatility. His ceiling reminds me of Dez Bryant.