Official 2020 Non-Rush LB Thread

CalhounLambeau

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sounds good to me. You're gonna hear every good off the ball LB linked to us if our vets don't get it together. 

Coverage backers in the NFL are such a commodity though. I've heard good things about isaiah simmons as well.

Isaiah Simmons has out of this world potential as a OLB.  Was interesting early in his career as a bigger safety but this move to OLB that he did last year and he played so well, I expect even more out of him this season and to be easily a 1st round pick.  His upside is just huge.

He has such range as a LB, can really run and cover, has good awareness and closing speed.  Kid can ball, like the play below that is honestly one of the most impressive plays in coverage I have seen from a LB in awhile.  

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Evan Weaver is a joy to watch play football.  I had him as a 1st round pick this up coming draft in February and nothing has changed, if anything might move him up a little.  Guy plays with a constant motor, is a better athlete than most think, is super smart, strong, aggressive, confident.  Is a great ILB prospect and could flourish in a 3/4 or 4/3 defense, could even rush the passer if asked also.  Originally I had him as more of a OLB but could be great at ILB and probably will end up there, should be the first ILB taken in the draft and could be a top 15 pick.  Is on pace to break or get close to Luke Kuechly's college tackling single season record.  Plays honestly a lot like him in terms of the passion he plays with, leadership and the ability to read plays and find the football.  Luke has a little better range arguably, is a little better athlete and seems to be a little longer but will see what he measures out as.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 8:03 PM, Jeezla said:

How did Paddy look against Wisconsin? Anyone see the game?

The overall defense for NW played very well but Fisher didn’t really stand out in any way. I remember him making one rally nice play for a TFL but other than that didn’t hear his name much. In his defense the Badgers only ran 60 plays so his opportunities were limited but like I said, didn’t really stand out at all.

I think NW defense was also overshadowed by how well the Badger D played.

Edited by badgers0821

12 hours ago, Small Town Values said:

Isaiah Simmons - Does he have an NFL comparison past / present or are we witnessing the potential for something new?

Karlos Dansby comes to mind, former Auburn safety then converted to OLB in college.  Simmons still kind of is doing a little of both and has a higher upside than Dansby and is a better prospect coming out of college but physically both are similar in terms of their size and athletic ability in coverage.  I do feel Simmons will work out better than Dansby did though across the board.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Small Town Values said:

Isaiah Simmons - Does he have an NFL comparison past / present or are we witnessing the potential for something new?

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Karlos Dansby comes to mind, former Auburn safety then converted to OLB in college.  Simmons still kind of is doing a little of both and has a higher upside than Dansby and is a better prospect coming out of college but physically both are similar in terms of their size and athletic ability in coverage.  I do feel Simmons will work out better than Dansby did though across the board.

Urlacher was a safety that converted to linebacker.  He played at 6'4" 235-240 in college then put on a bunch of muscle for the NFL.  

But both Urlacher and Dansby played MLB and I dunno if Simmons has the frame to put on that much weight.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Urlacher was a safety that converted to linebacker.  He played at 6'4" 235-240 in college then put on a bunch of muscle for the NFL.  

But both Urlacher and Dansby played MLB and I dunno if Simmons has the frame to put on that much weight.   

True Urlacher was a safety in college but was a pure solid ILB at the next level, I think Simmons will never be a pure solid ILB in a 4/3 defense like Urlacher.  He is a OLB all the way and maybe just maybe could play safety as well for the right team and system if they asked.  And at 6-4 230 I think Simmons could easily put on 20 pounds if he wanted to or if it was absolutely needed.  And sure he has the versatility to play a 3/4 ILB position similar to Ryan Shazier and could do quite well blitzing and in coverage obviously.  But in a 4/3 I would not say he is a ILB but will see.

Honestly though even Ryan Shazier is a good comp, not sure Simmons has that type of speed though that 4.3 range 40 was insane not to mention 42"vert and 25 rep bench and 130 broad.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That was my first thought as well... A rangier Dansby

• Like 1