Official 2020 Non-Rush LB Thread

CalhounLambeau

We all know 2019 was a rough year. Could 2020 be a redemption?

Some of the best seniors: Shaq Quarterman, Miami, Michael Divinity, LSU, Khaleke Hudson, Michigan, Malik Harrison, Ohio State, Evan Weaver, Cal, Cale Garrett, Missouri, Michael Pinckney, Miami, TJ Brunson, South Carolina, Joe Bachie, Michigan State, Troy Dye, Oregon, David Reese, Florida, Marcel Spears, Iowa State. 

Some of the best juniors:  Isaiah Simmons, Clemson, Dylan Moses, Alabama, Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma, Patrick Queen, LSU, Charles Snowden, Virginia, Jacob Phillips, LSU, David Woodward, Utah State, Nate Landman, Colorado

Discuss the linebackers. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit?usp=sharing

Want to watch all the available cuts, get up-to-date measurements, DOB's for the 2020 LB's, find it here. 

Edited by CalhounLambeau
  • Like 2

<3 Paddy Fisher and David Woodward. Neither are going to be the next Kuechly or Willis, but both should be very good if they keep progressing.

Dylan Moses' ceiling could be Bobby Wagner. Hope he takes a big step in development this year. 

Should be a fun year for scouting off-ball LB's, especially compared to the 2019 draft.

10 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Some of the best seniors: Shaq Quarterman, Miami, Michael Divinity, LSU, Khaleke Hudson, Michigan, Malik Harrison, Ohio State, Evan Weaver, Cal, Cale Garrett, Missouri, Michael Pinckney, Miami, TJ Brunson, South Carolina, Joe Bachie, Michigan State, Troy Dye, Oregon, David Reese, Florida, Marcel Spears, Iowa State. 

Some of the best juniors:  Isaiah Simmons, Clemson, Dylan Moses, Alabama, Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma, Patrick Queen, LSU, Charles Snowden, Virginia, Jacob Phillips, LSU, David Woodward, Utah State, Nate Landman, Colorado

The bolded are the LB's I think will be high end starters. There are a lot of names on your list I haven't seen a snap from yet. I have a lot of work to do.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who are the best coverage/3 down guys?

Joe Bachie is surprisingly good in coverage but is more of a zone guy. He can’t match a slot or anything.

Michael Pinckney is a WLB/SLB that can smother TEs and play zone. Really like his overall game. 

Isaiah Simmons and Malik Harrison have struggled in paas coverage in the past but both have the ABILITY to be awesome in both man and zone eventually. They’re excellent athleted with length to match TEs.

I haven’t really paid attention to Moses covering passes but he’s a great athlete. Maybe the smoothest Bama ILB thats come out recently.

My money is on Joe Bachie becoming the best coverage drop LBer in the class. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Joe Bachie is surprisingly good in coverage but is more of a zone guy. He can’t match a slot or anything.

Michael Pinckney is a WLB/SLB that can smother TEs and play zone. Really like his overall game. 

Isaiah Simmons and Malik Harrison have struggled in paas coverage in the past but both have the ABILITY to be awesome in both man and zone eventually. They’re excellent athleted with length to match TEs.

I haven’t really paid attention to Moses covering passes but he’s a great athlete. Maybe the smoothest Bama ILB thats come out recently.

My money is on Joe Bachie becoming the best coverage drop LBer in the class. 

I think Simmons is better in coverage than you make him out to be, a former safety and is more than an above average coverage linebacker being as athletic as he is.  His upside as a OLB is huge because of his safety skills from the past combined with his standout athletic ability.  I expect a huge year out of him this season.

Bachie is good in coverage for a ILB but just because he is athletic and quick, not sure he is great in coverage but is fast enough to not be an issue.  

Charles Snowden is interesting in coverage, can get his hands up and bat down passes, has crazy length and is a good athlete.  Sure is not a drop back coverage guy but is better than most 6-7 230 pound rush linebackers in a 3/4.  Not sure he ends up there in the NFL but could potentially, is a great athlete but still very thin right now.  

Marcel Spears has made some big plays in coverage at linebacker, quick to react and has more of a safety body but kid can play and has made some huge plays over the past few years.  And Tanner Muse might convert to OLB in the NFL if he shows he cannot hang at safety this year, and those skills will benefit him greatly in coverage if he does make that switch.  

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Bachie is good in coverage for a ILB but just because he is athletic and quick, not sure he is great in coverage but is fast enough to not be an issue.  

He was a stud dropping into the Tampa 2 zone in Michigan State's defense. He's an elite zone dropper IMO.

Through about a dozen guys so far in senior group. I really like Shaq Quarterman. Twitched up, just needs to be reliable. Markus Bailey is a lot less flashy and athletic, but I think he is one of the more reliable guys in run defense situations.

Put a UDFA grade on Khaleke Hudson. Don't know where he really fits for a team because he's not an elite athlete. Too small to play a traditional linebacker role as he gets swallowed up by blocks. Was really disappointed by Michael Pinckney relative to expectations. Thought he was slow and had poor tackling. Not a lot of upside with him relative to other options.

Cameron Brown from Penn State might be some team's version of Isaiah Simmons at a discount, but he's not an easy mover despite being only 230 pounds. Really long but it hurts him with changes of direction and play strength. 

Nothing much going for Thomas Barber (Minnesota), Dontavious Jackson (Florida State), or David Reese II (Florida) either. Marginal athletes who can't be trusted in coverage situations. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Cut this game for Virginia LB Charles Snowden. 6'6" 230. Interesting athlete. 

I agree, he was super impressive any time I watched him last year.  Right now I have him as a 2nd rounder and declaring early but he could easily become a 1st round pick and in terms of versatility as a 3/4 OLB he is as good as any because of his very solid coverage skills and still being able to bend the edge.  Plays bigger than his size, can hold the point and get off blocks and his closing speed is outstanding for a linebacker his size and height.  Gets his hands on passes during his rush and causes a big problems with that, I expect a huge year out of him this season.  Sure last year only had 2.5 sacks and 7.5 TFL but he was way more impactful than those numbers indicate, during multiple games he played big when they needed it and made big time plays.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How is Harris in coverage? He looks really good vs the run. Doesn't seem like the twitchiest guy, but doesn't take false steps and has good instincts (vs the run at least). Kinda seems similar to Paddy Fisher in that regard. I haven't really seen him in coverage at all though.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:48 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who are the best coverage/3 down guys?

David Woodward. He has zero muscle tone, but he's a beast. If he actually put on some muscle this year, every fan that has a team running a 4-3 D will be wanting him. He plays like Darius Leonard.

Edited by Jeezla

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

David Woodward. He has zero muscle tone, but he's a beast. If he actually put on some muscle this year, every fan that has a team running a 4-3 D will be wanting him. He plays like Darius Leonard.

Sounds good to me. You're gonna hear every good off the ball LB linked to us if our vets don't get it together. 

Coverage backers in the NFL are such a commodity though. I've heard good things about isaiah simmons as well.