Official 2020 Non-Rush LB Thread

CalhounLambeau

15 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Anyone have anything to say regarding Troy Dye? He strikes me as a similar prospect to Simmons, but a poor mans in every way.

To me he is not similar and is not near the athlete obviously.  Decent linebacker but could never play safety in the NFL, Simmons might be able to play it in the right system, either way no point to compare the two because outside of their height and weight they are not really alike.  That is like saying Justin Strnad is like Isaiah Simmons because he is 6-3 235 and an ok athlete.  The fact Simmons has and is playing safety is what makes him so interesting as a possibly OLB or even safety at that impressive size.  Dye, Strnad etc do not have those same skills, if they did they would be getting 1st round talk like Simmons is.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:58 AM, Ozzy said:

Evan Weaver is a joy to watch play football.  I had him as a 1st round pick this up coming draft in February and nothing has changed, if anything might move him up a little.  Guy plays with a constant motor, is a better athlete than most think, is super smart, strong, aggressive, confident.  Is a great ILB prospect and could flourish in a 3/4 or 4/3 defense, could even rush the passer if asked also.  Originally I had him as more of a OLB but could be great at ILB and probably will end up there, should be the first ILB taken in the draft and could be a top 15 pick.  Is on pace to break or get close to Luke Kuechly's college tackling single season record.  Plays honestly a lot like him in terms of the passion he plays with, leadership and the ability to read plays and find the football.  Luke has a little better range arguably, is a little better athlete and seems to be a little longer but will see what he measures out as.

Dude sucks going laterally. Is a force, though.

18 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Pete Werner is as underrated a prospect there is at OLB...

He is good but as a JR I doubt he comes out early for the draft this year.  Could be something next year though once Harrison is to the NFL and he will have even more opportunities to make plays, I have been more impressed with Browning on Ohio State and how good he has looked though and the improvements he has made, physically he is outstanding.

Could argue JR Garret Wallow on TCU, JR Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and RS SR Justin Strnad Wake Forest are more underrated outside linebackers than Werner is arguably.

6 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Evan Weaver is not a 1st round dude by any measure.

Absolutely love Weaver being a Bears fan but as others have said he struggles greatly moving side to side. Tough as nails, sure tackler, great at coming down hill, above average instincts and understanding of the game but he’s a two down thumper who occasionally can sit down in the right zone from time to time but is going to be a liability in pass coverage.

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 2

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

Absolutely love Weaver being a Bears fan but as others have said he struggles greatly moving side to side. Tough as nails, sure tackler, great at coming down hill, above average instincts and understanding of the game but he’s a two down thumper who occasionally can sit down in the right zone from time to time but is going to be a liability in pass coverage.

Sure he had his worst game of the year against Oregon and at times is put in positions he should not be put in.  But honestly that Cal defense has basically one other pro on the D, Bynum and that is it, maybe Paul also but he would be a long shot for the next level.  If Weaver was protected more by a fine DL ahead of him he would be even more productive than he has already been.

I think possibly if he cannot hang at ILB in coverage he could easily hold the edge and be tough enough to be a 3/4 OLB.  That is what I originally had him marked at after last season.  If put around the line of scrimmage and not asked to cover as much he could be awesome, and if put in a 3/4 ILB position he could be awesome as well.  The kid can play and one poor game does not make a career, he is the clear super star of that defense and teams can game plan around him and make him do things he is not great at.  Sure Bachie with his range one could maybe say he is a better ILB than Weaver but not many in the up coming draft are better than he is, in the right system he would do great.

Just think if he was on the Patriots, kid would kill it and they would know how to use his physicality as a LB similar to what they do with Hightower.  Weaver is not that far off of what Leighton Vander Esch was, finds the football, super competitive, great tackler, aggressive, might be a little less athletic but not by much.

Since when do football teams not like competitive tough defensive linebackers who are always around the football and can tackle?  And for anyone to say Weaver is a bad athlete, yeah right.  

• Like 2

Agree with a lot of that @Ozzy. I love the way Weaver plays ball and the intangibles he brings to the field. Unfortunately, my personal view really, the NFL has been and continues to go further away from this style of player. I’d take Weaver all day over Jahlani Tavai who the Lions took in the 2nd round of last years draft, so there’s a chance. I don’t think Weavers athleticism is horrid but he can be exposed and it’s definitely not the strength of his game by any means. The lack of quick twitch is a concern for redirecting while in coverage and also if he were to play on the end as OLB in a 3-4. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

51 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Agree with a lot of that @Ozzy. I love the way Weaver plays ball and the intangibles he brings to the field. Unfortunately, my personal view really, the NFL has been and continues to go further away from this style of player. I’d take Weaver all day over Jahlani Tavai who the Lions took in the 2nd round of last years draft, so there’s a chance. I don’t think Weavers athleticism is horrid but he can be exposed and it’s definitely not the strength of his game by any means. The lack of quick twitch is a concern for redirecting while in coverage and also if he were to play on the end as OLB in a 3-4. 

Maybe but I feel the Ravens would take him as a starting ILB right now in their defense and many other teams would do the same.  Sure maybe not on Dallas with the speed they have at LB and what they are asked to do but on Washington also, yeah I think Weaver could start for them no doubt.  If freaking Cole Holcomb can start in the NFL because of injuries and being forced to play, Weaver can start regardless of injuries. 

With the right team and system he would do just fine I feel, again one bad game for him does not make his career.  I found this article today, basically all it is talking about is how the Oregon coaching staff was concerned over Weaver and how to limit his impact on the game.  Clearly they did that but it was out of respect for his abilities not because they think he cannot play.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/10/how-can-oregon-ducks-minimize-impact-of-cal-all-american-lb-evan-weaver.html

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, lark25 said:

How do you rate Bachie, MSURacer? Assuming you’re a Spartans fan

-I actually like him a lot, he has really good instincts and anticipation, I think he can be a starter on the next level given he tests at least average (which I think he can)

-the MSU is for Murray State, I'm all Buckeye though

Edited by MSURacerDT55