Official 2020 Non-Rush LB Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 10/6/2019 at 8:07 AM, Ozzy said:

Sure he had his worst game of the year against Oregon and at times is put in positions he should not be put in.  But honestly that Cal defense has basically one other pro on the D, Bynum and that is it, maybe Paul also but he would be a long shot for the next level.  If Weaver was protected more by a fine DL ahead of him he would be even more productive than he has already been.

I think possibly if he cannot hang at ILB in coverage he could easily hold the edge and be tough enough to be a 3/4 OLB.  That is what I originally had him marked at after last season.  If put around the line of scrimmage and not asked to cover as much he could be awesome, and if put in a 3/4 ILB position he could be awesome as well.  The kid can play and one poor game does not make a career, he is the clear super star of that defense and teams can game plan around him and make him do things he is not great at.  Sure Bachie with his range one could maybe say he is a better ILB than Weaver but not many in the up coming draft are better than he is, in the right system he would do great.

Just think if he was on the Patriots, kid would kill it and they would know how to use his physicality as a LB similar to what they do with Hightower.  Weaver is not that far off of what Leighton Vander Esch was, finds the football, super competitive, great tackler, aggressive, might be a little less athletic but not by much.

Since when do football teams not like competitive tough defensive linebackers who are always around the football and can tackle?  And for anyone to say Weaver is a bad athlete, yeah right.  

Ashtyn Davis?

7 hours ago, Counselor said:

Ashtyn Davis?

I might need to watch him more but he has never really stood out to me to be honest.  Last year they had Kunaszyk and Funches at LB to help keep Weaver a little more free and not allow teams to totally focus on him.  This year sure they got Paul maybe as well on the outside at LB but you can game plan around Weaver easier when there is less talent around him.  Look at Ohio State or Clemson or Bama.  All those units have multiple pro level talents and one cannot just focus on a guy especially in the front seven.  Cal is not on that same level, just imagine how productive Weaver would be on Auburn right now if he had a DL like that keeping him free.  I just do not see Weaver with a bunch of other studs there on Cal in terms of top level NFL talent, but usually does not matter and he can still be effective same with Woodward on Utah State.  He has been very good this season without a lot around him, a little weak at the point of attack but is super athletic and has a nose for the football and is a really consistent tackler.  

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

@MSURacerDT55

I haven’t seen much talk on Tuf Borland. Do you have any thoughts on him? I’ve only seen highlights up to this point. 

That is because Junior ILB Baron Browning has taken his starting spot I believe, he is a much better player and a better athlete.  Borland has seen the field but not as much because of Browning playing so well.

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is because Junior ILB Baron Browning has taken his starting spot I believe, he is a much better player and a better athlete.  Borland has seen the field but not as much because of Browning playing so well.

Good to know, thanks! Did Borland just not fully recover from his achilles tear?

17 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

@MSURacerDT55

I haven’t seen much talk on Tuf Borland. Do you have any thoughts on him? I’ve only seen highlights up to this point. 

My honest assessment of him is that he is a throwback 2 down linebacker with below average athleticism, bro, he is slooooooooow. But he has pretty good instincts, takes on blocks well and tackles well (when he is in position). He's not a good fit for a fast flow defense, but he's invested a lot of time in the program and is a leader, so they give him reps. Going into next year is going to be interesting because he either needs to change his position here at tOSU or grad transfer somewhere else IMO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@CalhounLambeau, you had a chance to watch David Woodward yet? I wasn't expecting him to declare, so I hadn't really seen him until today. Wow. He blew me away. Kid is a complete, three-down LB. Sideline-to-sideline speed, man and zone coverage ability, can play through blocks, and guys go down when he hits them. Also adept at forcing fumbles. He's going to fly up draft boards if he's healthy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

@CalhounLambeau, you had a chance to watch David Woodward yet? I wasn't expecting him to declare, so I hadn't really seen him until today. Wow. He blew me away. Kid is a complete, three-down LB. Sideline-to-sideline speed, man and zone coverage ability, can play through blocks, and guys go down when he hits them. Also adept at forcing fumbles. He's going to fly up draft boards if he's healthy.

What games did you watch @jrry32? And from what year? I was curious about him when I saw he declared but don’t remember being blown away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's my LB2 after Simmons. Bugs me that Utah State never announced what his season ending injury was. 

• Like 1