Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How does he compared to, say, Nick Bosa? 

Two completely different players. Bosa is a technician with jarring power. He was better than Chase Young. Young has a longer frame and more pop off the edge. Young isn’t as good as Garrett, but he profiles more similarly to him than he does to Bosa. 

Either way, I’m not taking Chase Young before any of those dudes. He’s in the Bradley Chubb tier of pass rushing prospects. 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Chase Young is getting HUGE hype on social media (the cornerstone of any informed analysis....). Is he THAT good? Generational talent type?

Just watch film, you'll see why they are hyping him. Trust me, people love to hate tOSU, no one will bend over backwards for a tOSU player unless he is the real deal

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How does he compared to, say, Nick Bosa? 

Twice the athlete, similar bend, takes great angles, slightly less technique (but still good) 

Commentator compared him to Myles Garrett and for once, I kinda agree.

The major difference is the athleticism and strength, which pops off the screen, his combine is going be must see

Edited by MSURacerDT55

20 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Just watch film, you'll see why they are hyping him. Trust me, people love to hate tOSU, no one will bend over backwards for a tOSU player unless he is the real deal

Twice the athlete, similar bend, takes great angles, slightly less technique (but still good) 

Commentator compared him to Myles Garrett and for once, I kinda agree.

The major difference is the athleticism and strength, which pops off the screen, his combine is going be must see

I agree, only real knock on him is lack of production that freshman year but he was on a team with N. Bosa, Hubbard, Holmes, Lewis, D. Jones and Hill.  All of which are in the NFL currently outside of Hill who was drafted but never saw game action and in March just got arrested on a meth charge and with "intent to distribute".  

Young has a great start to this year and could have a huge season which will show a lot because the DL on Ohio State is not nearly as deep as it has been in years past.  And that last year without Bosa helped him so what he can do big time.  At his size with his athletic ability it is no question he will be a top 3 pick in the draft, could play DE or 3/4 OLB I feel.

I would still say Julius Peppers is the standard though at DE in the last 20 years or so, the future Hall of Famer he is arguably just as good of an athlete as Young and is better at the point of attack and stronger.  Guy was a brick sht house.

Chase Young is more similar to Jadeveon Clowney I feel than Myles Garrett in terms of the straight ahead speed and athletic ability.  But Clowney at times was more of a wow athlete than Young has been especially early in his career but will see what Young does this year.  Clowney did get hurt a decent amount which hurt his career later in college and has continued that in the NFL some what.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Bold prediction. Chase Young, AJ Epenesa and Yetur Gross-Matos all go top 10.

I could see that happening, I have Gross-Matos going top 10 as a potential 3/4 OLB edge rusher.  I have AJ dropping a little just based on team needs and honestly Gross-Matos is a better 3/4 fit compared to AJ who could do it but Gross-Matos is a little quicker and has more athletic ability I feel.  Chase and Yetur both had more than one sack their opening game, AJ did not get one, but that is not a huge deal.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I could see that happening, I have Gross-Matos going top 10 as a potential 3/4 OLB edge rusher.  I have AJ dropping a little just based on team needs and honestly Gross-Matos is a better 3/4 fit compared to AJ who could do it but Gross-Matos is a little quicker and has more athletic ability I feel.  Chase and Yetur both had more than one sack their opening game, AJ did not get one, but that is not a huge deal.

I dunno. Gross Matos looks much more filled out in the opener than last year if you ask me. I think he can adjust as needed to either scheme. Not like the last big time Penn State pass rushing prospect, Aaron Maybin who was pretty exclusively limited to a 3-4.

Edited by Danger

16 hours ago, Danger said:

Bold prediction. Chase Young, AJ Epenesa and Yetur Gross-Matos all go top 10.

That's not really bold. I think most people would agree with you that this happens. YGM is the only one that could slide. I don't think he's going to test well. His listed 40 time is 4.5, but I really don't see that on film. He looks like a 4.7 dude, which would not be great for an edge rusher without a nasty bull rush.

Edited by BleedTheClock

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

By the end of the year Davon Hamilton will be considered one of the top NTs in the draft

Didn't play a lot due to the blowout but really looked good when he did.

1:44 - Beat backside cut to make the play at the line, outstanding play.

1:59 - Play/Block recognition, stuck his foot in the ground got flat and showed decent athleticism

5:15 - Another outstanding play where he penetrated got flat and made TFL

5:34 - Explosive off the ball, pushed the pocket despite double team

People are sleeping on him.....

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Didn't play a lot due to the blowout but really looked good when he did.

1:44 - Beat backside cut to make the play at the line, outstanding play.

1:59 - Play/Block recognition, stuck his foot in the ground got flat and showed decent athleticism

5:15 - Another outstanding play where he penetrated got flat and made TFL

5:34 - Explosive off the ball, pushed the pocket despite double team

People are sleeping on him.....

The link does not work and it is blocked.  Will have to watch him for sure but honestly he never stood out to me before, maybe he will take it to another level this season.  Was nice to see Cornell do some things as a senior starter.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What you saying about Willekes? Looks technically decent, long arms but lack of athleticism and burst. Top 3 rounds?

Technically he is awesome, really knows how to get off blocks and uses his hands well and really can get under guys and use his leverage.  Is not a great athlete sure and sucks he has that big arm brace on because of past injuries.  But kid is a baller and plays with a ton of passion and has a huge motor, is one of the most passionate and vocally intense college football players in the nation.  He is a 1st round pick I see all day especially if he stays healthy all season long.  That Michigan State DL is easily the best in the Big Ten across the board.

• Like 2