Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

With Tua's injury, I think now we may actually have the opportunity to see the best prospect in the draft get drafted #1 overall again! The only time this has happened in the past five years was in 2017 (Myles Garrett). I suppose there's a good chance Burrow or Herbert sneaks into the top spot, considering that the Bengals are the ones projected to be drafting right there, but Young's chances at going first definitely improved.

Man, it really sucks that Chase Young was suspended for a couple games. This is a player that could threaten 25 sacks in a single college football season. He's insane. I thought his production would be down with teams knowing what they were getting after last season, similar to prospects like Jadeveon Clowney or Myles Garrett, but he's scheme proof so far! He just can't be stopped. 

Gross-Matos is a really, really good player, but I doubt he's the type of player that will contend for the league lead in sacks in the NFL. He might have a few seasons of reaching double-digit sacks, but he seems to me like a Jadeveon Clowney-type player for the NFL. A very good defender that can move around the formation and is a good pro pass-rusher, but is probably going to make most of his impact as an elite run defender.

20 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Any 3T penetrator types outside of Brown And Kinlaw to look at?

Take a look at James Lynch for Baylor. 14.5 TFL and 10.5 sacks this season. He might be coveted by 3-4 teams as a 3-4 end and might need to add a little mass at 3T but I think he could be a good one in the league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Jaylen Twyman (if he declares)

Agreed, he is really quite awesome, has a unique build, long arms and has put together some great sack numbers this season as a RS SOPH.  I hope he comes back for another season, he could totally be a 1st round pick in 2021 with another good year.  

Some others would be these guys, I think Davidson could be awesome as a penetrating DT in the right system, Windsor can for sure do it and has really come on this year, Agim has a lot of upside as does Landers and Jones has some quickness to him at a pretty impressive size.

Marlon Davidson Auburn
Robert Windsor Penn State RS
McTelvin Agim Arkansas
Robert Landers Ohio State
Benito Jones Ole Miss

• Like 1

I watched some of the guys currently projected to go on Day 2 recently. From what I saw, Curtis Weaver is very underrated. He looks like a first round pick to me. Has speed and power. Advanced and varied pass rush plans. Great hand usage. Isn't overly bendy, but he has enough to corner. Jonathan Greenard was underwhelming compared to watching him in games without focusing on him. Thought his physical tools were pretty meh. Smart player. Technically sound. But I don't see the upside I thought he had.

On the flip side, I see a lot of upside in Jabari Zuniga. He has the traits, but there are some inconsistencies in his game standing in the way right now. Namely, he needs to develop more advanced pass rush plans and secondary moves, and he needs to get off the ball quicker more consistently. But he has an explosive get-off, great closing speed, the ability to get skinny through gaps, and a legit power game. The tools are there for him to be a legitimate three-down EDGE. 

Darrell Taylor from Tennessee was also a pleasant surprise. He needs to get stronger, but he has potential as a 3-4 OLB. Kind of similar to Christian Miller last year. Intriguing tools as a pass rusher with the ability to drop into coverage and flashes against the run. On the flip side, I didn't see it with Charles Snowden, Anfernee Jennings, or Terrell Lewis in my first run through their film. But I want to see more of Snowden for sure.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I watched some of the guys currently projected to go on Day 2 recently. From what I saw, Curtis Weaver is very underrated. He looks like a first round pick to me. Has speed and power. Advanced and varied pass rush plans. Great hand usage. Isn't overly bendy, but he has enough to corner. Jonathan Greenard was underwhelming compared to watching him in games without focusing on him. Thought his physical tools were pretty meh. Smart player. Technically sound. But I don't see the upside I thought he had.

On the flip side, I see a lot of upside in Jabari Zuniga. He has the traits, but there are some inconsistencies in his game standing in the way right now. Namely, he needs to develop more advanced pass rush plans and secondary moves, and he needs to get off the ball quicker more consistently. But he has an explosive get-off, great closing speed, the ability to get skinny through gaps, and a legit power game. The tools are there for him to be a legitimate three-down EDGE. 

Darrell Taylor from Tennessee was also a pleasant surprise. He needs to get stronger, but he has potential as a 3-4 OLB. Kind of similar to Christian Miller last year. Intriguing tools as a pass rusher with the ability to drop into coverage and flashes against the run. On the flip side, I didn't see it with Charles Snowden, Anfernee Jennings, or Terrell Lewis in my first run through their film. But I want to see more of Snowden for sure.

I’ve had Weaver as a first rounder and seen him mocked there quite a bit.

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Biggest question mark with Weaver from what I've heard is that he's pretty limited athletically and would struggle at the next level, no one really questions his smarts or technique.