Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

14 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This looks like a very promising EDGE class. Better than last year, yeah?

Not currently but I think they have the same amount of elite guys as last year at this point IMO, its up to guys like Terrell Lewis, Yetur Gross-Matos Joshua Kaindoh, Curtis Weaver, Kenny Willikes, to inflate the class

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

I actually  think this upcoming class EDGE class will be comparable talent-wise, but last year had a glut of DT prospects enhancing the whole DL group.

Comparable talent wise?  Last year had 6 players taken in the freaking top 15 and 3 taken in the top 4 picks of the draft.  No way that happens again this season.  Chase Young will be top 3 arguably, Raekwon Davis has elite potential but has to play a lot better than he did last season.  AJ Epenesa might be picked top 10 but that is a little stretch.  Gaziano and Willekes could be late 1st rounds and same with Gross-Matos and Derrick Brown should be a 1st round pick as well.  But the overall depth and quality of last year, that will be hard to beat.  Hell a guy like Ed Oliver falls to 9 because of the depth, and a guys like Zach Allen fell to the 3rd and same with Jaylon Ferguson.  That group last year was special, doubt it will be matched by this years group.  12 1st round picks on the DL, and 13 if one counts Josh Allen as a DL, that will not be done again in 2020.  

2 Nick Bosa
3 Quinnen Williams
4 Clelin Ferrell
9 Ed Oliver
12 Rashan Gary
13 Christian Wilkins
16 Brian Burns
17 Dexter Lawrence
19 Jeffrey Simmons
26 Montez Sweat
28 Jerry Tillery
29 LJ Collier
49 Ben Banogu
58 Trysten Hill
65 Zach Allen
68 Jachi Polite
71 DreMont Jones
84 Khalen Saunders
85 Jaylon Ferguson

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not currently but I think they have the same amount of elite guys as last year at this point IMO, its up to guys like Terrell Lewis, Yetur Gross-Matos Joshua Kaindoh, Curtis Weaver, Kenny Willikes, to inflate the class

I will be very interesting to see how Terrell Lewis plays this year, has been so long since he has been healthy, major injuries the past two seasons.  Will see if he can finally stay on the field and if he is the athlete he once was in small moments.  

Anfrenee Jennings will be curious how he plays this season, he had a good season last year but again needs to be able to stay healthy.  I think a guy like Evan Weaver could be a decent 3/4 OLB, can also play ILB and might end up there but he has some burst on the edge and is strong enough to hold the point, super productive tackler as well.  Carter Coughlin does not get talked about enough, he has been quite productive the past few seasons and has improved each year, good at getting to the QB and could have a great season this year.  Daelin Hayes I expected a lot more out of last year, will see if he can put it together this season as a good athlete on the edge and Jabari Zuniga I think will have a fine season, uses his hands well and despite not being a huge guy can get off blocks and get downhill well.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I will be very interesting to see how Terrell Lewis plays this year, has been so long since he has been healthy, major injuries the past two seasons.  Will see if he can finally stay on the field and if he is the athlete he once was in small moments.  

Anfrenee Jennings will be curious how he plays this season, he had a good season last year but again needs to be able to stay healthy.  I think a guy like Evan Weaver could be a decent 3/4 OLB, can also play ILB and might end up there but he has some burst on the edge and is strong enough to hold the point, super productive tackler as well.  Carter Coughlin does not get talked about enough, he has been quite productive the past few seasons and has improved each year, good at getting to the QB and could have a great season this year.  Daelin Hayes I expected a lot more out of last year, will see if he can put it together this season as a good athlete on the edge and Jabari Zuniga I think will have a fine season, uses his hands well and despite not being a huge guy can get off blocks and get downhill well.  

- The B1G is going to be loaded with DL in this coming draft

- There are people who are still really excited about Lewis's potential

- Man, if either Hayes or Kareem can put it all together, they can be a real riser

- Talk about a guy who is supremely underrated, its Joe Gaziano

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

- The B1G is going to be loaded with DL in this coming draft

- There are people who are still really excited about Lewis's potential

- Man, if either Hayes or Kareem can put it all together, they can be a real riser

- Talk about a guy who is supremely underrated, its Joe Gaziano

I agree, Chase Young will be a top 3 pick easily, AJ Epenesa could go top 10 also.  Gross-Matos could go mid to late 1st and same with Willekes and Gaziano.  Hopefully Willekes can stay healthy, he was so dominating at times last year and could rise up the board if he can stay on the field.  I agree Gaziano is underrated, kid is a star DE and wildly productive and can get to the QB and gives great effort. 

Carlos Davis could be a decent mid round pick, he is strong in the middle and Lorenzo Neal is a solid player inside.   Raequan Williams could rise up the boards this year with another good season no doubt as well.  Stinks Bobby Roundtree got hurt and might never play football again, he was a solid prospect I thought on the DL and could have maybe came out early and been a mid round pick.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

The EDGE talent. Not the overall DL. Plus there was no EDGE taken in R2. 

Might as well say 3/4 OLBs then.  Josh Allen is better than any 3/4 OLB in the 2020 draft by the way and it is not even close.  And if you call Brian Burns, Montez Sweat edge players they also are better than anyone in the 2020 class unless you call Chase Young a 3/4 OLB where I think he will stick as a 4/3 DE.  Also could throw Rashan Gary in a 3/4 OLB group potentially beacuse he might end up playing there, will see.  

Epenesa, Gaziano, Willekes I think will all stick at DE, maybe Gross-Matos could play some 3/4 OLB but he also will probably stick at DE.  Jonathan Gavin could be a 3/4 OLB as could Kaindoh and  K'Lavon Chaisson could be in the mix as well if he can come back from his injury.  Just again to me the talent level is not even close to the same, sure some good pure DE talent in this up coming class but overall not close.  

Oh and I would call Ben Banogu an 'EDGE' player, he could easily play 3/4 OLB if he was asked, he is a damn good athlete who can play on the line or as a stand up rusher.  

20 hours ago, Danger said:

I think Gross-Matos' stock, as of right now is on par with where most of us perceived Clelin Ferrell's stock to be entering the draft, mid-late first round. Certainly has volatility in his stock though.

Yeah I moved him into top 15 range come 2020 potentially.  He is so damn explosive and quick off the ball, great at running down the play and just arriving quickly to the action.  Really blew up last season and if he continues that growth and progress this year he could be something special.  Made Alaric Jackson look just bad and he is a potential 1st round pick and as a SOPH was a 2nd team All Big Ten player, and Gross-Matos beat him more than once in that game.  Mind you Jackson I feel might be more of a OG at the next level but still, Gross-Matos if he progresses even more from what he showed last year he will be amazing.  

• 2 months later...