Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Funny. How much more bend does he need to show here to impress you?

Also, he didn’t get any sacks against Clemson, but his presence was definitely felt. 

I see a lot of stiffness in that clip.  That lil shoulder dip might work against college tackles but I doubt it will in the NFL.

Chase Young is being talked about like he's another Myles Garrett.  I simply don't see that.

8 hours ago, VanS said:

I see a lot of stiffness in that clip.  That lil shoulder dip might work against college tackles but I doubt it will in the NFL.

Chase Young is being talked about like he's another Myles Garrett.  I simply don't see that.

You honestly make my day :D:D:D:D:D

On 1/1/2020 at 5:51 PM, Jeezla said:

James Lynch vs Neville Gallimore. Who would you rather have if you had to pick one?

Gallimore easily for me, he has tremendous athletic upside and is still getting better as a player. Reminds me of Javon Hargrave 

On 1/1/2020 at 4:26 PM, Danger said:

My biggest question is from what I've seen and heard, Chase Young just seems to rush the passer and doesn't seem all that special in other areas of EDGE/DL play. How much is he asked to do things outside of getting to the QB, and is he anywhere near as good at it as he is at going after the QB? Ohio State fans need not respond on this one, nor will I acknowledge a response because it'd be a biased answer.

Considering its tOSU, you really don't need him to do anything outside of his normal job because you have really good players at other positions so you really dont need it, and if you really pay attention to film, he is extremely disciplined, as a matter of fact, you probably won't find a player with that type of elite athletic traits take that much pride in detail and not being fooled. There isn't a box that he doesn't check 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 1/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, VanS said:

Stats mean nothing to me.  They can be as much a product of circumstance and outside factors as they can be a product of a player's actual talent.  I just watch the player and see if he jumps out to me.  If he does jump off the screen then I rate him highly.  If he doesn't jump out I don't.  What makes a player stand out is doing things that separate him from everyone else on the field.   

All I needed to do was watch a few snaps of Myles Garrett to see he was something I hadn't seen before on the football field from a defensive end.  I've watched Chase Young a bunch and he never really jumped off the screen to me.  He honestly reminds me the most of former Baylor DE Shawn Oakman.  He looks amazing in his uniform standing on the sidelines but on the field he looks very pedestrain. 

Shawn Oakman was 6-8 287 with skinny legs and ran a 4.87 40 at the combine.   Young probably runs in the 4.5 range and shows some damn good athletic ability Shawn Oakman never had.  On the field Chase Young looks pedestrian?  How did he get an invite to the Heisman trophy ceremony then?  Because he looked so pedestrian?  Sure maybe if you only watched the Clemson game recently and have not watched him all season this year or last year.  

People seem to forget Myles Garrett his last two games in college he looked quite disinterested and was very unproductive in the bowl game against Kansas State and the last game of the year against LSU, both losses and both he did not have a sack.  Mind you that last year he only had 8.5 sacks total and that was with getting 4.5 in one game against UTSA.  Has been ok as a pro I suppose but also has one of the worst plays ever in NFL history and will be forever remembered for that.  Young probably does not have a 41" vertical or a 128 broad jump but probably easily beats a 4.64 40, but is not as strong as Myles Garrett but is arguably quicker off the ball.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:26 PM, Danger said:

My biggest question is from what I've seen and heard, Chase Young just seems to rush the passer and doesn't seem all that special in other areas of EDGE/DL play. How much is he asked to do things outside of getting to the QB, and is he anywhere near as good at it as he is at going after the QB? Ohio State fans need not respond on this one, nor will I acknowledge a response because it'd be a biased answer.

He is asked to rush the passer on Ohio State and that is exactly what they need him to do.  Hamilton is the run stopper along with Cornell a big.  Young is asked to rush the edge and get to the QB, he can be a terror against the run obviously if asked to do so but that is not the priority.  True he has disappointed in terms of sack numbers these last two games against Wisconsin and Clemson.  But both games the offense did a lot of misdirection and threw the ball very quickly because they did not have a choice.  Young still got pressure especially 2nd half in that Wisconsin game.  The Clemson game he was more hidden but Lawrence and the QB run game hurt his aggressiveness no doubt. 

People seem to forget quickly that to start the year he basically had a sack in ever game he played and some games had 2, 3 or 4 sacks in that game alone.  Oh and 6 forced fumbles as well.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He is asked to rush the passer on Ohio State and that is exactly what they need him to do.  Hamilton is the run stopper along with Cornell a big.  Young is asked to rush the edge and get to the QB, he can be a terror against the run obviously if asked to do so but that is not the priority.

I don't care about the last two games. Everyone knows Chase Young is the best around when it comes to getting to the QB no questions asked. I want to know, How much does he do everything else that would be asked of his position, and how well does he do so when he actually does? That's all really.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

People seem to forget Myles Garrett his last two games in college he looked quite disinterested and was very unproductive in the bowl game against Kansas State and the last game of the year against LSU, both losses and both he did not have a sack.  Mind you that last year he only had 8.5 sacks total and that was with getting 4.5 in one game against UTSA.  Has been ok as a pro I suppose but also has one of the worst plays ever in NFL history and will be forever remembered for that.  Young probably does not have a 41" vertical or a 128 broad jump but probably easily beats a 4.64 40, but is not as strong as Myles Garrett but is arguably quicker off the ball.

This your problem.  You're stat counting.

Despite how few sacks Myles Garrett had in college he always jumped off the screen when I watched him play.  His quickness, power, and agility were breathetaking.  Comparing him to Chase Young is laughable to me.  No edge defender comes close to Myles Garrett IMO.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Shawn Oakman was 6-8 287 with skinny legs and ran a 4.87 40 at the combine.   Young probably runs in the 4.5 range and shows some damn good athletic ability Shawn Oakman never had.  On the field Chase Young looks pedestrian?  How did he get an invite to the Heisman trophy ceremony then?  Because he looked so pedestrian?  Sure maybe if you only watched the Clemson game recently and have not watched him all season this year or last year.  

He is asked to rush the passer on Ohio State and that is exactly what they need him to do.  Hamilton is the run stopper along with Cornell a big.  Young is asked to rush the edge and get to the QB, he can be a terror against the run obviously if asked to do so but that is not the priority.  True he has disappointed in terms of sack numbers these last two games against Wisconsin and Clemson.  But both games the offense did a lot of misdirection and threw the ball very quickly because they did not have a choice.  Young still got pressure especially 2nd half in that Wisconsin game.  The Clemson game he was more hidden but Lawrence and the QB run game hurt his aggressiveness no doubt. 

People seem to forget quickly that to start the year he basically had a sack in ever game he played and some games had 2, 3 or 4 sacks in that game alone.  Oh and 6 forced fumbles as well.  

So you want us to ignore the one time Chase faced a 5* OT. And look at all the times he faced what averaged 2* lines? lol

Im not saying Chase isnt a great player. But stick him on a team like Mississippi State for his college career. Them stats would be cut in half. Though the hype would still be there for potential just like with Myles. Cause the way you sound. Every Hawaii qb the past 20 years is destined for the NFL HOF.

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Cause the way you sound. Every Hawaii qb the past 20 years is destined for the NFL HOF.

How dare you? Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan are somewhere ruining DBs lives. 

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Despite how few sacks Myles Garrett had in college he always jumped off the screen when I watched him play.  His quickness, power, and agility were breathetaking.  Comparing him to Chase Young is laughable to me.  No edge defender comes close to Myles Garrett IMO.

I try not to respond to you at all costs but this just simply isn’t true. Garrett had multiple games where he was invisible. His impact on some games was minimal if none at all. There was points in those games where he seems disinterested in even playing football with little effort attempting to rush the passer or hustle trying to corral a RB. Don’t get me wrong, Garrett was a great prospect in his own right but this narrative that he popped every time he was on film, along with other prospects that you pound the table for, is just false. Meanwhile the prospects who you make all your hot takes on get nit picked beyond all hell, where these prospects that you support a blind eye is turned.  This black and white scouting (watching tv really is what we are talking about in all of our cases) and speaking in definitive statements is a poor strategy, to really do anything effectively. 

Now that being said I can’t claim to know how you think or look at prospects, but maybe he was “jumping” off the screen, “stealing your breath away”, and making your knees weak while he was a non factor in those games because of the initial reaction and therefor immovable stance you seem to take with prospects. 

Quick to point out and jump all over any and everybody else’s “problems” yet in denial and avoidance of your own when it comes to how we all “scout”. 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Julius Peppers in college athletically made Myles Garrett look like a piece of garbage.  Top four in total sacks in NFL history, give me him as a prospect all day over Garrett.  Joey Bosa arguably is better than Garrett also as a prospect, only thing keeping him back is injuries from time to time but has been damn good so far early in his career.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

So you want us to ignore the one time Chase faced a 5* OT. And look at all the times he faced what averaged 2* lines? lol

Im not saying Chase isnt a great player. But stick him on a team like Mississippi State for his college career. Them stats would be cut in half. Though the hype would still be there for potential just like with Myles. Cause the way you sound. Every Hawaii qb the past 20 years is destined for the NFL HOF.

Chase Young would be bad on Mississippi State?  Why?  Might want to pick a different team, Simmons and Sweat were 1st round picks off Miss State last year and Young would have been on that roster with them.  Might want to pick San Jose State instead for Chase Young to be on in terms of lacking talent around him.

Did that hurt Ed Oliver being on Houston?  Not really, only his poor attitude hurt him and the injuries he had and still he looks to be a fine pro.  

You talking five star tackles he faced?  Sure he did not face Alabama, Georgia or less extent Auburn on the OL and that might matter a little in terms of sacks.  He did face  Cole Van Lanen Wisconsin, Jon Runyan Michigan, Termayne Anchrum Clemson, Rasheed Walker Penn State and Caleb Jones Indiana and all have a chance to be in the NFL but sure they are not on the level of the Bama or Georgia OL.    

But based on your logic, do not pick Nick Bosa because he played on Ohio State, same with Sam Hubbard and Joey Bosa etc.  That inflated their production?  Ok sure, and how could that not be said for any prospect on any great team in the history of college football?  Better not pick Ed Reed, he was on a stacked Miami team that inflated his stats?  Right....  

• Like 1