Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Julius Peppers in college athletically made Myles Garrett look like a piece of garbage.  Top four in total sacks in NFL history, give me him as a prospect all day over Garrett.  Joey Bosa arguably is better than Garrett also as a prospect, only thing keeping him back is injuries from time to time but has been damn good so far early in his career.

Chase Young would be bad on Mississippi State?  Why?  Might want to pick a different team, Simmons and Sweat were 1st round picks off Miss State last year and Young would have been on that roster with them.  Might want to pick San Jose State instead for Chase Young to be on in terms of lacking talent around him.

Did that hurt Ed Oliver being on Houston?  Not really, only his poor attitude hurt him and the injuries he had and still he looks to be a fine pro.  

You talking five star tackles he faced?  Sure he did not face Alabama, Georgia or less extent Auburn on the OL and that might matter a little in terms of sacks.  He did face  Cole Van Lanen Wisconsin, Jon Runyan Michigan, Termayne Anchrum Clemson, Rasheed Walker Penn State and Caleb Jones Indiana and all have a chance to be in the NFL but sure they are not on the level of the Bama or Georgia OL.    

But based on your logic, do not pick Nick Bosa because he played on Ohio State, same with Sam Hubbard and Joey Bosa etc.  That inflated their production?  Ok sure, and how could that not be said for any prospect on any great team in the history of college football?  Better not pick Ed Reed, he was on a stacked Miami team that inflated his stats?  Right....  

I never said Chase would be bad. I clearly said hes great and would get the same hype as Myles. Just not the same numbers. And yes. Majority of his stats did come against poor teams, which he should do. But you cant go on stats alone cause of it. Because you threw 6 tds against Coastal Carolina, doesnt mean you can throw 3 against Georgia. Chase was able to stat pile against bad teams. So stats shouldnt be brought in and his play should.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

I never said Chase would be bad. I clearly said hes great and would get the same hype as Myles. Just not the same numbers. And yes. Majority of his stats did come against poor teams, which he should do. But you cant go on stats alone cause of it. Because you threw 6 tds against Coastal Carolina, doesnt mean you can throw 3 against Georgia. Chase was able to stat pile against bad teams. So stats shouldnt be brought in and his play should.

Penn State and Wisconsin are bad teams?  Since when?  He had 7 sacks and 3 FF and 15 tackles in those games combined and played well against Indiana who is a solid team, FAU who won their conference, Cincinnati who were runners up in their conference title and Miami Oh who won their conference along with other Big Ten teams who were pretty solid.  Not to mention the year before against a solid Washington team, or a solid Northwestern team in the title game or another good Penn State team etc.  To say he put up sack numbers against poor competition like Myles did in that UTSA game his junior year, in a season where he would have only had 4 sacks all season outside of that one game, well that is just simply not correct at all.

Stats are production, you want no production great have no production.  But production does matter, call it stats or just simply call it good play and getting things done.  The DE position is not the same as playing QB for a pass happy offensive system, not even close.  Khalil Mack put up consistently dominating numbers against weaker competition, so what it helped show he can freaking crush the pocket and get after the passer.  Ohio State has far better competition to play than Buffalo, but to pretend Chase Young would not be absolutely dominating on Buffalo, well yeah he would be.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

waiting for that Trevis Gipson band wagon..

giphy.gif

Gipson is interesting, can really knife into the backfield and has come on this year.   I am not waiting for but already on the Bravvion Roy train, not to mention Jonathan Greenard train if you are talking just 3/4 OLB pass rushers.  

CraftyWastefulDeviltasmanian-size_restri

Including the audio even...

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Did that hurt Ed Oliver being on Houston?  Not really, only his poor attitude hurt him and the injuries he had and still he looks to be a fine pro.  

I still dont get this, what did he do to be labeled as a having a poor attitude? I thought it was clear that he was a victim of a duch move by Applewhite. And has been a model citizen since, I don't get it

13 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

So you want us to ignore the one time Chase faced a 5* OT. And look at all the times he faced what averaged 2* lines? lol

Im not saying Chase isnt a great player. But stick him on a team like Mississippi State for his college career. Them stats would be cut in half. Though the hype would still be there for potential just like with Myles. Cause the way you sound. Every Hawaii qb the past 20 years is destined for the NFL HOF.

This is flat out a dumb argument, 100% 

Edited by MSURacerDT55

21 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Look. One of those B1G fans that think everyone should view their conference as more than North-ACC.

giphy.gif

I can be on Mars, it's still a dumb argument, and hopefully you don't speak for those south of B1G country  (even though you have no idea where I am)

As a matter of fact, I wish FF had a bookmark feature so we could revisit this a few years from now and all laugh

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

I kinda like UAB DT Garrett Marino as a late round flyer that an NFL DL coach could polish up. Looks athletic, moves well laterally, fairly stout vs the run, and he gets pressure when he uses his hands/rip&swim moves, which is unfortunately only like 3 times a game. Nice 3T project.

Edited by Jeezla

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I kinda like UAB DT Garrett Marino as a late round flyer that an NFL DL coach could polish up. Looks athletic, moves well laterally, fairly stout vs the run, and he gets pressure when he uses his hands/rip&swim moves, which is unfortunately only like 3 times a game. Nice 3T project.

I have not seen a ton of him either but in terms of straight passion and effort there is a ton to like about him.  Really intense football player, little crazy and off the wall but that is good.  But if Anthony Rush his 6-5 350 teammate from last season was not even drafted doubt Marino will be but who knows, he is most likely a UDFA.  Love the effort and desire, will be curious how he works out.

Calvin Taylor Jr from Kentucky will be one to watch, 6-9 310 DT/DE that had a heck of a year.  Only real season of being productive but it was impressive for a big dude like him, he could fit well as a 3/4 DE maybe and could be a late round drafted player possibly.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have not seen a ton of him either but in terms of straight passion and effort there is a ton to like about him.  Really intense football player, little crazy and off the wall but that is good.  But if Anthony Rush his 6-5 350 teammate from last season was not even drafted doubt Marino will be but who knows, he is most likely a UDFA.  Love the effort and desire, will be curious how he works out.

Calvin Taylor Jr from Kentucky will be one to watch, 6-9 310 DT/DE that had a heck of a year.  Only real season of being productive but it was impressive for a big dude like him, he could fit well as a 3/4 DE maybe and could be a late round drafted player possibly.

Move him to OT

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Counselor said:

How many blocks this year? I know three games in a row last year

He didn't have any blocks this year. However, he really did a great job of bulking up and adding some muscle to his frame while retaining his explosion. He was a second-team All-American as a DL. They started lining him up on punts and he really impressed me with both his penetration (came really close to a couple punt blocks from the interior) and his blocking abilities. He's always had a great motor and been a great guy around the team, and he's been improving athletically year after year. Came through in the clutch a lot, including against Alabama.

• Like 1