Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Would be nice if Uche lasted to 52 but I don't see anyway that happens now especially since he'll likely shine at the combine. 

We shall see. It was easy to see from film that Uche is a special athlete. But if he climbs, somebody talented will fall. It always happens. We'll have a shot at a damn good player.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lieker said:

I’m intrigued by Blacklock, Gallimore, Davis, and Madubuike for the Packers. Are any of these guys good fits in a Pettine defense? Good compliment to Kenny Clark?

I believe all of them would have to appeal to the Packers as big bodied interior defenders that can move. I'd also add Marlon Davidson to this list. I do hope that Gallimore and Madabuike go to a team as a 4-3 under but there's nothing to say that they wouldn't be good fits as 5-techs in an odd front. Blacklock's game actually reminds me of Kenny Clark. Raekwon Davis is a good run defender, which the Packers obviously need, and his length would be an asset at the 5-tech position as well. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:05 PM, Jeezla said:

Gallimore vs Blacklock - Who is the better prospect?

Looking at it again, I'm starting to like Blacklock slightly better, just based off of how he moves coming off an Achilles injury the season before, he is very explosive and I'm not sure he was 100%. He has really, really good change of direction, and stout at the POA. I think he is just a better football player

2 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Ross Blacklock will be the steal of the draft if he falls below mid 2nd.

I love Blacklock's explosion off the ball, but he doesn't have any moves. He just kind of holds his POA. That's fine, but I don't think he has the twitch or the fast hands to be a great pass rusher at this stage in his game. I'd like to see him stack, shed, and then rip off and make a play. He just kind of stacks guys up and then that's it.

I will say that he has a great motor for a big man. He runs down screens like a linebacker and will chase anything away. He has tools, but he's underdeveloped as a pass rusher.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TVScout said:

I would not be surprised if he gets picked by the new staff in Dallas.

If Kinlaw or no one else is available then yea he may be best option. But i'm weary of spending such a high pick on such a raw prospect. H/e his work ethic may make him a steal at 17 so who knows. 

Just now, goldfishwars said:

If James Lynch is there at 23 then the Patriots are taking him, absolutely no question. He fits everything they look for in a defensive lineman (plays the run and pass - can be slotted around), which is a position they covet and will be in the market for.

Or a safety from Rutgers, or a defensive player from Florida who immediately flames out or a skills player with long term injury concerns with literally zero juice and does not fit in the scheme.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

If James Lynch is there at 23 then the Patriots are taking him, absolutely no question. He fits everything they look for in a defensive lineman (plays the run and pass - can be slotted around), which is a position they covet and will be in the market for.

That would suck, I hope the Vikings can get him.  Kid can ball and could play DT in a 4/3 arguably as well as a true DE also.  I have the Patriots getting Austin Jackson potentially and moving Wynn to guard, or get a Trey Adams type to improve the OL, but Lynch would make sense there as well if Kinlaw is gone.  I could see the Patriots getting Josh Uche also and the kid becoming a super star in that system.  If not sure the Titans might gobble him up if he is still around.  

Hey why is nobody talking Leki Fotu. He has some intriguing athleticism. He gets off the ball in a hurry, and has jarring strength in hands. He moves really well for 330 lbs. he has good initial quickness. I have two gripes with him tho, he has some technique issues. If he works on staying low, he’ll be much better. My other issue is, is he looks too disciplined on tape (to the point of fault). He never breaks his gap assignment, even when the play is clearly not going his way and he should feasibly cut back to challenge the play from the back side. It could also be an IQ thing since even in a passing down, a savvy center can steer him to one side with out fearing his great quickness cutting back inside. But boy when a ball carrier goes to his gap it’s over for that runner.  

Edited by YogiBiz

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

Hey why is nobody talking Leki Fotu. He has some intriguing athleticism. He gets off the ball in a hurry, and has jarring strength in hands. He moves really well for 330 lbs. he has good initial quickness. I have two gripes with him tho, he has some technique issues. If he works on staying low, he’ll be much better. My other issue is, is he looks too disciplined on tape (to the point of fault). He never breaks his gap assignment, even when the play is clearly not going his way and he should feasibly cut back to challenge the play from the back side. It could also be an IQ thing since even in a passing down, a savvy center can steer him to one side with out fearing his great quickness cutting back inside. But boy when a ball carrier goes to his gap it’s over for that runner.  

I like him too. Think there's some interesting upside with him. Apparently he's only been playing DI for 2 years now too, so I'm confident his best football is ahead of him. Tight hips at times and his pad level consistency is definitely an issue, but you can see how naturally strong he is on reps where he stands almost straight up and still doesn't give ground to the double team. Underrated athlete too. A couple years of refinement with him could yield a team a hyper disruptive player on the interior imo. And his price tag is probably just a Late 2nd/Early 3rd Round pick.

I was beyond happy to see he's still just 21 years old too. Whenever you're dealing with Utah, Utah State, BYU, etc etc. The chance of a prospect being over aged is significantly higher. So while there's definitely some work to be done with him, I think he'll prove worthy of the investment.