Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

44 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would put Gallimore on top then leave the list as is.

Gallimore is the type of prospect who will either become a game wrecking terror with his quickness on the interior, or be JAG. There is no in between. I like him, but I've liked similar prospects in the past who became average rotational players.

@Gross-Matos - Chandler Jones is the one and only comparison. I wrote a little summary about it in the player comp thread. Doesn't mean YGM will turn into the elite sack artist that Jones has become. But as prospects they are like twins. Their size and combine testing are identic. Their movements and approach when rushing the passer and setting the edge are very similar. I would go as far and say YGM is for sure studying a heavy dose of Chandler Jones tape.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks Blacklock has zero technique as a pass rusher? He is such a freak and it shows on tape, but he doesn't have fast hands or any sort of rip/arm over move. He just bull rushes guys slowly and steadily into the backfield. That's great, but I'd like to see him win with his obvious quickness more often.

He is maybe the best hustling DT that I can remember. He chases everything down and does it without looking like it's out of his wheelhouse. The dude can scoot and he doesn't take plays off.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Is Bradlee Anae of Utah a Day 2 pick to any of you? 

Possibly day 3. I think guys like Uche, Baun, Okwara, Gross-Matos and possibly a D.Taylor/Greenard probably go before him.

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, to be fair I don't know what he looks like, someone long and athletic but not twitchy. Aldon Smith? That would be a flattering comparison.

softer Preston Smith

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Trying to think of a team that would value Espenesa in the 1st. I think it would be the Pats because he fits a similar mold to what they like their ends to do. Ravens would move him around a bunch like Z Smith and maybe the Packers, in a similar vein. Does Seattle still play with an oversized left end?

Browns, Broncos, Falcons, Jaguars. Epenesa will probably play a fair amount inside as much as on the edge.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Yeah I didn’t love it. Just trying to think of someone quick off the top of my head. Chandler is a much better comp 

He has that kind of raw upside, but that’s such a rich comparison. Too rich for me. 

...but then again, comps can be used to ID a player’s ceiling. I called Diontae Johnson last year an Antonio Brown clone despite realizing the difference in actual ability.

I actually spoke with Penn State’s defensive coordinator this past weekend about Gross-Matos. They absolutely love him and his inside-outside versatility. Although he spent most of his time drooling over their Sophomore linebacker Micah Parsons. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He has that kind of raw upside, but that’s such a rich comparison. Too rich for me.

You have to realize Chandler Jones as a prospect had the same question marks as YGM and then some. Yet he still got picked by the Pats in the 20s. The comparison is spot on from so many angles. Chandler Jones having himself a HOF worthy career has nothing to do with that comp. YGM would already be be a great success if he turns into half the player Jones is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

...but then again, comps can be used to ID a player’s ceiling. I called Diontae Johnson last year an Antonio Brown clone despite realizing the difference in actual ability.

I actually spoke with Penn State’s defensive coordinator this past weekend about Gross-Matos. They absolutely love him and his inside-outside versatility. Although he spent most of his time drooling over their Sophomore linebacker Micah Parsons. 

Micah Parsons could very well be a top 10 pick next year. Also how the heck are you able to get a conversation with Brent Pry?

34 minutes ago, Danger said:

Micah Parsons could very well be a top 10 pick next year. Also how the heck are you able to get a conversation with Brent Pry?

Glazier clinic. Got to chat with V'Angelo Bentley and Tim Banks too.

Saw a ton of cutups of PSU's defensive schemes. Pretty interesting stuff. And I had no idea they spouted that kind of run defense. Their run defense gave up under 3 ypc....that's insane.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Glazier clinic. Got to chat with V'Angelo Bentley and Tim Banks too.

Saw a ton of cutups of PSU's defensive schemes. Pretty interesting stuff. And I had no idea they spouted that kind of run defense. Their run defense gave up under 3 ypc....that's insane.

I just want you and everyone else to know that I was the first one on the Jayson Oweh hype train. That is all.