Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

14 hours ago, lark25 said:

People actually asked if this years crop could be better than last years. 2019 was one of the best and deepest EDGE classes I mean Maxx Crosby in the 4th? Not to mention the obvious dudes in R1!

I remember thinking earlier in the process that this class could be better than last year. Then I actually looked at the classes. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I remember thinking earlier in the process that this class could be better than last year. Then I actually looked at the classes. 

Same.  I think that's because of Chase Young's tear at the start of the season.  When you have a prospect like him coming out, it immediately makes you elevate the class.

But yeah, after him, the dropoff is pretty big.  Another sizable one after YGM and Epenesa.

Chase Young is great but I don’t know he will be as good a pro as the Bosa bros. He’s not a Myles Garrett prospect in terms of being an absolute freak.

Epenesa never really out produced Anthony Nelson who was more athletic and went in the 4th. I think in a weak class he goes early 2nd or maybe someone reaches but last year Epenesa should’ve been no better than a 3rd

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Chase Young is great but I don’t know he will be as good a pro as the Bosa bros. He’s not a Myles Garrett prospect in terms of being an absolute freak.

I suspect this may be one reason he bowed out. I have my doubts that he will be as good as the Bosas as well. He sure wasn't eager to prove himself. A true competitor would rise to the challenge instead of playing it safe. I hate playing it safe, especially in any aspect relating to football.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I suspect this may be one reason he bowed out. I have my doubts that he will be as good as the Bosas as well. He sure wasn't eager to prove himself. A true competitor would rise to the challenge instead of playing it safe. I hate playing it safe, especially in any aspect relating to football.

People say this same thing every year about really great prospects. Of course, it proves to be wrong, but it doesn't stop them from saying it again the next year. This is a business, and players make business decisions. This "true competitor" nonsense shows a lack of understanding of that reality.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lark25 said:

Epenesa never really out produced Anthony Nelson who was more athletic and went in the 4th. I think in a weak class he goes early 2nd or maybe someone reaches but last year Epenesa should’ve been no better than a 3rd

Epenesa's 2018 and 2019 seasons were each better than any season Nelson had at Iowa, and A.J. outproduced Nelson in 2018 despite being a true sophomore versus a redshirt junior. I haven't decided where I stand on Epenesa yet, but this isn't a valid criticism.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

People say this same thing every year about really great prospects. Of course, it proves to be wrong, but it doesn't stop them from saying it again the next year. This is a business, and players make business decisions. This "true competitor" nonsense shows a lack of understanding of that reality.

I would view it as Young having smart people around him who told him that he has literally nothing to gain by doing drills.  Similar to top prospects not playing in meaningless bowl games.  Focus on the interviews and let your tape speak for itself.

I don't care about Young's competitiveness at the combine, I care about it on Sunday.

Why risk a Jeffery Simmons situation(I know his was in a pre-draft workout but the point holds) or Jaylon Smith situation where you lose millions in that first contract?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Heard similar things about Christian McCaffrey skipping the bowl game. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 10:50 AM, Ragnarok said:

I view Andrew Thomas the same way.  Top 5 pick all season and dropped after the season ended.

Yep. Andrew Thomas is my 8th Ranked guy and #1 OT and Brown as my 5th Ranked guy. It’s just a massive case of “over thinking”. 

Thomas is such a polished Left Tackle and will be very dominant in the NFL. I almost think Thomas to the Giants at 4 is a lock. 

I love Alex Highsmith and Darrelll Taylor in the 3rd this year. We’re all looking for the next Maxx Crosby, and those are two candidates. I think Highsmith is better suited for a 3-4 though, but I think he can play in any scheme. 

Edited by BayRaider

54 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Heard similar things about Christian McCaffrey skipping the bowl game. 

I get the bowl game, didn't like it, but I get it. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Yes and no. It's not always just a "business" decision. Some prospects have reason to fear such tests...whether that be a lack of preparation or iffy measurables. Is that Chase Young? Only time will tell. So, no, the true competitor bit isn't nonsense, but to each their own. If it doesn't fit your argument, toss the whole possibility out! I get it. It may not be PROBABLE, but it IS POSSIBLE.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Similar premise, no? Both the athletic testing and the single bowl game - for the top end, elite prospects - shouldn’t really matter all that much. With both, you have a lot more to lose by either coming up short or getting injured than you do gain with a good performance. They’re both business decisions that true ‘live for the game’ type guys wouldn’t abide by. 

They’re the same IYAM. A guy like Young is in all likelihood going to go number two overall - and I believe that that’d be the case even if he ran a 4.5 and had a great 3-cone. But if he comes out and runs a 4.8 and tests poorly overall? Maybe Washington changes their tune, who knows. Much more to lose.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yes and no. It's not always just a "business" decision. Some prospects have reason to fear such tests...whether that be a lack of preparation or iffy measurables. Is that Chase Young? Only time will tell. So, no, the true competitor bit isn't nonsense, but to each their own. If it doesn't fit your argument, toss the whole possibility out! I get it. It may not be PROBABLE, but it IS POSSIBLE.

Andrew Luck didn't throw at the Combine. What was he hiding?

• Like 1