Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Excited to see what he does because he  has the kind of bend and explosion you can't teach. 

I don't see what they see. Taylor has been productive which is great and he is a solid pick potentially mid rounds but better than AJ Epenesa?  I do not freaking think so, no way Taylor is more athletic than AJ, sure AJ has not officially declared and might return to Iowa but if he comes out he is head and shoulders above Darrell Taylor.  

Not to mention K'Lavon Chaisson if he declares, he has played lights out against OU and Georgia in the last two games.  If he can stay healthy he is by far an better athlete and more explosive and quick edge rusher in a 3/4 than Taylor.  If Taylor is indeed ranked that highly then it is just because of a lack in quality 3/4 OLB edge rushers honestly, there are not very many of them around.

Even Terrell Lewis gets big time hype and honestly he is a walking injury and even this season he was so so, looked great early on but then tailed off big time.  Josh Uche, Zach Baun, Jonathan Greenard will all be helped by the lack of elite 3/4 OLB types and they will be picked higher than maybe they should because who else you gonna take if you need one?  

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:
7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Excited to see what he does because he  has the kind of bend and explosion you can't teach. 

Why haven't I heard of this guy before? From what I've just seen/read he should be surfacing in the first round of most mock drafts.

Is he a better prospect than Okwara? Both have similar size, lack of production for a big school, but tons of athletic upside?

Edited by Jeezla

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I don't see what they see. Taylor has been productive which is great and he is a solid pick potentially mid rounds but better than AJ Epenesa?  I do not freaking think so, no way Taylor is more athletic than AJ, sure AJ has not officially declared and might return to Iowa but if he comes out he is head and shoulders above Darrell Taylor.  

Not to mention K'Lavon Chaisson if he declares, he has played lights out against OU and Georgia in the last two games.  If he can stay healthy he is by far an better athlete and more explosive and quick edge rusher in a 3/4 than Taylor.  If Taylor is indeed ranked that highly then it is just because of a lack in quality 3/4 OLB edge rushers honestly, there are not very many of them around.

Even Terrell Lewis gets big time hype and honestly he is a walking injury and even this season he was so so, looked great early on but then tailed off big time.  Josh Uche, Zach Baun, Jonathan Greenard will all be helped by the lack of elite 3/4 OLB types and they will be picked higher than maybe they should because who else you gonna take if you need one?  

Put me squarely on the Uche bandwagon. I think that dude has the potential to be another Yannick Ngakoue. Yes, he needs seasoning, but his tools are off-the-charts good. We're talking about a guy who looks like a natural LB in coverage, has the speed and bend to threaten the corner, and was putting guys like Tristan Wirfs and Alaric Jackson on their heels with his speed-to-power bullrushes. If that dude gains some counter/secondary moves and better pass rush plans, he'll be a monster in the NFL.

6 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why haven't I heard of this guy before? From what I've just seen/read he should be surfacing in the first round of most mock drafts.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong at the Senior Bowl, but I didn't see the hype with Taylor. He reminded me of Christian Miller. I loved Christian Miller in the 3rd round as a developmental OLB. I would be quite happy with Taylor in the 3rd round as a developmental OLB. But a first round pick? Naaaaah.

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

Put me squarely on the Uche bandwagon. I think that dude has the potential to be another Yannick Ngakoue. Yes, he needs seasoning, but his tools are off-the-charts good. We're talking about a guy who looks like a natural LB in coverage, has the speed and bend to threaten the corner, and was putting guys like Tristan Wirfs and Alaric Jackson on their heels with his speed-to-power bullrushes. If that dude gains some counter/secondary moves and better pass rush plans, he'll be a monster in the NFL.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong at the Senior Bowl, but I didn't see the hype with Taylor. He reminded me of Christian Miller. I loved Christian Miller in the 3rd round as a developmental OLB. I would be quite happy with Taylor in the 3rd round as a developmental OLB. But a first round pick? Naaaaah.

I agree Uche is a monster and had a great season, to me I would take Uche over Darrell Taylor in terms of a 3/4 OLB prospect.  

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Epenesa doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to test well.

Could argue he has one of the quickest first steps of any true DE in college football.  Early in his career he won mostly off speed rushes where this year he has shown a little more combo with some power.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He's not a been a good run defender, but got plenty to like as a pure pass rusher with refinements needed. I would definitely see him as a developmental day two project right now. Be interesting to see what he does at the Senior Bowl. 

16 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Epenesa doesn't strike me as a guy that's going to test well.

Probably won't but we all see what we see but his power game more than supplements for his slight lack of athleticism 

22 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I am becoming a fan of his 

Also this is a reminder for all to check out Ron'dell Carter from JMU

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Probably won't but we all see what we see but his power game more than supplements for his slight lack of athleticism 

I am becoming a fan of his 

Also this is a reminder for all to check out Ron'dell Carter from JMU

Derrek Tuszka is arguably a better next level prospect, kid is a solid DE with a great motor.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Derrek Tuszka is arguably a better next level prospect, kid is a solid DE with a great motor.

He pretty good but im not going as far to say arguably, dude is isnt quite 250 so he's limited to a 3-4 OLB and im not sure about his overall athleticism namely constant change of direction. He had a good game though 

On 1/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, BrownLeader said:

He and Armstead were soft interior athletes at Oregon. They've steadily gotten stronger and harder as pros.

I agree with you, but Buckner turned it around his senior year big time. I was a huge detractor of his until I watched his senior tape. Night and day.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:27 PM, BrownLeader said:

Epenesa is that guy this year.

Epenesa was never soft. He always played with violent hands. I should have admittedly read more of this thread rather than just this post, but were you implying that he was a soft player at Iowa?