Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I dont think he gets out of the top 15 after last night. Could go higher if he tests well. 

He was good but I thought he was more dominating the previous two games.  Chaisson did make some errors being overly aggressive and played a little wild I thought, once he completely ran by Etienne and he took off for a big game down the sideline while Chaisson looped inside and completely gave up edge contain.  But I am sure they gave him free run in this game and did not mind a few little breaks in the lie of scrimmage edge as long as he gave good effort going after the passer which he did.  Is he better than say Josh Allen from last year on UK, no way in hell, even better than Brian Burns?  I would say Burns had a better college career overall and was more consistent game in and game out, and is a longer athlete as well.   But in terms of this years class easily could say he is at the top of the athletic 3/4 OLB types no doubt.  Great character, has a great work ethic and is a great teammate.  

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm not as high on him as others are

Yeah in terms of holding the edge and being great against the run and getting off blocks without just speed, yeah he is not great.  But as an athlete few are as productive as he has been at a high level as a 3/4 OLB projected.  Could Josh Uche long term be a better pro as a edge rusher, probably, he is much stronger at the point of attack but my guess is Chaisson runs very well and performs great athletically and does awesome in the interview process as well.

He benefits from not a great 3/4 OLB class and really next year will not be that great either.  Sure some could turn out like Terrell Lewis, Zach Buan, Jonathan Greenard and Anfernee Jennings but there are arguably issues with all of them in terms of longevity, health and overall talent upside.  I will say again, yeah give me Josh Allen over Chaisson every day of the week but lucky for him Allen is already in the league.  

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He was good but I thought he was more dominating the previous two games.  Chaisson did make some errors being overly aggressive and played a little wild I thought, once he completely ran by Etienne and he took off for a big game down the sideline while Chaisson looped inside and completely gave up edge contain.  But I am sure they gave him free run in this game and did not mind a few little breaks in the lie of scrimmage edge as long as he gave good effort going after the passer which he did.  Is he better than say Josh Allen from last year on UK, no way in hell, even better than Brian Burns?  I would say Burns had a better college career overall and was more consistent game in and game out, and is a longer athlete as well.   But in terms of this years class easily could say he is at the top of the athletic 3/4 OLB types no doubt.  Great character, has a great work ethic and is a great teammate.  

Last year's class, or even what I think about him is a complete irrelevance to my post. In THIS class, his skill-set as a speed rusher will be highly sought after where teams will be looking for edge rushers after Chase Young. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah in terms of holding the edge and being great against the run and getting off blocks without just speed, yeah he is not great.  But as an athlete few are as productive as he has been at a high level as a 3/4 OLB projected.  Could Josh Uche long term be a better pro as a edge rusher, probably, he is much stronger at the point of attack but my guess is Chaisson runs very well and performs great athletically and does awesome in the interview process as well.

He benefits from not a great 3/4 OLB class and really next year will not be that great either.  Sure some could turn out like Terrell Lewis, Zach Buan, Jonathan Greenard and Anfernee Jennings but there are arguably issues with all of them in terms of longevity, health and overall talent upside.  I will say again, yeah give me Josh Allen over Chaisson every day of the week but lucky for him Allen is already in the league.  

With Chaisson, he offers so much as a player who can drop into coverage or follow tight ends over the middle or runningbacks out of the flat, that it in my mind outweighs his cons as an edge setter.

A defensive coordinator who works with deceptive pass rushes, Chaisson is the perfect player to threat with the pass rush and then drop him into coverage to free up others.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

-Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable having him do anything non-pass rush related initially at the next level whether it is at the 3-4 OLB or End, he looks smaller than 6'4 250 and even worse plays smaller than that. Also in terms of pass rush, if he doesn't win initially, he pretty much gives up, no counter moves no nothing, he needs a lot of work. In the run game, doesn't squeeze off down blocks, easily fooled of opposing offenses, often is rag dolled, he  is just not a cerebral, high effort, good technique type of player, he pretty much has some twitchy tools and that's it IMO.

-As far as Uche, I've only seen flashes of him, but watched him a bit more, he has twice the functional strength Chaisson, he plays more like he's 6'5 265 as opposed to being 6'2 250, he has pretty decent pass rushing moves and is constantly working his hands. He also is really disciplined in the run game, takes really good angles and whats more appealing about him is him in the passing game, he plays very well in space, he pretty damn decent in coverage to be a primary rush guy. Uche in a 4-3 has a Yannick Ngakoue/Frank Clark feel to him, he's really growing on me

-Jennings is a safe, clean 3-4 OLB prospect that doesn't get nearly enough credit for his pass rushing ability that he should

-Buan is Joe Schobert, He's a Mike or off ball

-Greenard is such a gifted pass rusher who's body is failing him

-Terrell Lewis has some really good movement skills, fluid, got some decent pass rushing moves, good high level developmental prospect IMO

Edited by MSURacerDT55

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Allen was clearly a better pass rusher as a senior at Kentucky. But I think Chaisson does flash big time bull rush and edge setting ability...in flashes, pound for pound, better then Allen to me. And he's better in space and coverage than Allen. It's just not consistent.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable having him do anything non-pass rush related initially at the next level whether it is at the 3-4 OLB or End, he looks smaller than 6'4 250 and even worse plays smaller than that. Also in terms of pass rush, if he doesn't win initially, he pretty much gives up, no counter moves no nothing, he needs a lot of work. In the run game, doesn't squeeze off down blocks, easily fooled of opposing offenses, often is rag dolled, he  is just not a cerebral, high effort, good technique type of player, he pretty much has some twitchy tools and that's it IMO.

-As far as Uche, I've only seen flashes of him, but watched him a bit more, he has twice the functional strength Chaisson, he plays more like he's 6'5 265 as opposed to being 6'2 250, he has pretty decent pass rushing moves and is constantly working his hands. He also is really disciplined in the run game, takes really good angles and whats more appealing about him is him in the passing game, he plays very well in space, he pretty damn decent in coverage to be a primary rush guy. Uche in a 4-3 has a Yannick Ngakoue/Frank Clark feel to him, he's really growing on me

-Jennings is a safe, clean 3-4 OLB prospect that doesn't get nearly enough credit for his pass rushing ability that he should

-Buan is Joe Schobert, He's a Mike or off ball

-Greenard is such a gifted pass rusher who's body is failing him

-Terrell Lewis has some really good movement skills, fluid, got some decent pass rushing moves, good high level developmental prospect IMO

There's nothing wrong with Chaisson's motor. His technique and recognition are inconsistent but I've seen him walk back much bigger guys at the poa. He can track down WRs in the open field and play sound coverage down the seam and the flat. He flashes big time edge ability. It's a question of whether he'll get stronger and more precise as a pro. Given his character I think it's a good bet he will.

--------------------------------------

Uche kind of, only plays with power. I think It's the finesse part he needs.

Jennings is probably a back up ILB as a pro. If he's smart guy, maybe a Devon Kennard.

Buan doesn't have the a to b quickness Schobert had but I think he could be a Jake Ryan like ILB or a Kyle Emanuel like OLB.

2 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Allen was clearly a better pass rusher as a senior at Kentucky. But I think Chaisson does flash big time bull rush and edge setting ability...in flashes, pound for pound, better then Allen to me. And he's better in space and coverage than Allen. It's just not consistent.

I haven't evaluated Chaisson, but I highly doubt that. Josh Allen could have played as an off-the-ball LB like Anthony Barr is. He was that good in coverage and space.

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I have a lot of respect for your opinions, so it's nice to see that you're seeing what I am with Uche. His tools are just off the charts. I didn't expect a guy his size to have a power game like that. He just has to learn to capitalize on it better. Kid will bullrush the OT all the way into the QB's face. He just needs to learn that go-to move to shed the OT after he puts him on skates. I'm shocked he's seen as a 3rd round pick right now. 

• Like 1