Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

Would love to replace Pat Elflein next year.  Is he there in round 2 or 3?

too good to be a 3, but the more exposure he gets he will be a high to mid 2 (but then again he is a RSoph) so we might luck out and get him back for another year, if he stays he'll be a sure fire 1st.

When you watch him, the talent is evident, plus I LOVE his temperament.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Question. Can anyone give me a breakdown on Austin Jackson?

He's a really good 1st-round caliber prospect. I'd put his athleticism on par with like an Andre Dillard. He's a really easy mover, just so smooth. The main difference between him and Dillard is that while Dillard is really strong in the weight room - and yes, he's strong on the field, too, but his punch isn't what it could be - Jackson flashes the ability to he a bulldozer. In pass pro, he's not the most refined, but he's just so athletic that he beats everyone anyways. I've seen him overextend when he can get away with less movement, but his recoverability is very good and he usually regains his balance lightning quick. A very technical edge rusher could take advantage of that, but if they're not fast enough in their reaction time, they won't have success because he's so quick to regain balance. He generally generates good push in the ground game, and he flashes the ability to pancake defenders, with functional power through his whole body making him a fit for both power and zone blocking schemes. Ideally, I think he'd be a zone blocker in the NFL where a team could take advantage of his athleticism and movement skills. He's also a little raw, and I think a zone scheme would hide his flaws early on while he refines his counter repertoire. He flashes a variety of counters, but there are also a lot of times where he just beats edge rushers by having too good of an anchor to get beaten by their power and moving too quickly to get beaten by their speed. He's a great lateral athlete that flashes real punch to shock defenders. He could be good in a power scheme, but like I said before, I think he would be best in a zone. His ceiling is sky high. He's an A+ guy as far as intangibles go. Donated bone marrow to his ailing sister. He's been a leader in the SC locker room pretty much every since he stepped into the program in 2017, but he slipped under the radar because the offense was so bad last year, and in general, the line was. Heck, his OL coach last year got fired mid-way through the season. He was quietly pretty good on a bad line last year, though. I think he'll rocket up draft boards once the season is over, barring an ugly game. I'd put him in the 10-25 range as far as prospects go, but he could rise after the Combine or his pro day if he declares.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Would love to replace Pat Elflein next year.  Is he there in round 2 or 3?

John Simpson is a better scheme fit and is far more athletic.  Jonah Jackson also, Davis's teammate is a better guard prospect I feel and has arguably played better on the field.  I would not mind Alaric Jackson, Alex Leatherwood or Tommy Kraemer because all have guard and tackle versatility, could play either position in the NFL.  Still scheme fit Simpson could be the best because of his athletic ability.  

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Is it still Andrew Thomas or bust for tackles?

Trey Adams could be very good and has been solid this year, and Tristian Wirfs upside is gigantic athletically.  So those two are solid but then it takes a down turn, Leatherwood I like because of his versatility but yeah after Thomas it does not a bit of a drop, especially after Thomas, Adams and Wirfs.  Mekhi Becton could rise up draft boards potentially he is a massive dude and a great athlete.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Trey Adams could be very good and has been solid this year, and Tristian Wirfs upside is gigantic athletically.  So those two are solid but then it takes a down turn, Leatherwood I like because of his versatility but yeah after Thomas it does not a bit of a drop, especially after Thomas, Adams and Wirfs.  Mekhi Becton could rise up draft boards potentially he is a massive dude and a great athlete.

I'm a bit behind in watching games this year given everything going on.  Would be nice if Trey Adams ever lived up to his physical tools.  I know there were quite a few in the Packers' forum that thought that Adams was a potential FRP last year, and he was a massive flop.

6 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

He's a really good 1st-round caliber prospect. I'd put his athleticism on par with like an Andre Dillard. He's a really easy mover, just so smooth. The main difference between him and Dillard is that while Dillard is really strong in the weight room - and yes, he's strong on the field, too, but his punch isn't what it could be - Jackson flashes the ability to he a bulldozer. In pass pro, he's not the most refined, but he's just so athletic that he beats everyone anyways. I've seen him overextend when he can get away with less movement, but his recoverability is very good and he usually regains his balance lightning quick. A very technical edge rusher could take advantage of that, but if they're not fast enough in their reaction time, they won't have success because he's so quick to regain balance. He generally generates good push in the ground game, and he flashes the ability to pancake defenders, with functional power through his whole body making him a fit for both power and zone blocking schemes. Ideally, I think he'd be a zone blocker in the NFL where a team could take advantage of his athleticism and movement skills. He's also a little raw, and I think a zone scheme would hide his flaws early on while he refines his counter repertoire. He flashes a variety of counters, but there are also a lot of times where he just beats edge rushers by having too good of an anchor to get beaten by their power and moving too quickly to get beaten by their speed. He's a great lateral athlete that flashes real punch to shock defenders. He could be good in a power scheme, but like I said before, I think he would be best in a zone. His ceiling is sky high. He's an A+ guy as far as intangibles go. Donated bone marrow to his ailing sister. He's been a leader in the SC locker room pretty much every since he stepped into the program in 2017, but he slipped under the radar because the offense was so bad last year, and in general, the line was. Heck, his OL coach last year got fired mid-way through the season. He was quietly pretty good on a bad line last year, though. I think he'll rocket up draft boards once the season is over, barring an ugly game. I'd put him in the 10-25 range as far as prospects go, but he could rise after the Combine or his pro day if he declares.

I would be surprised if he comes out, he is still pretty raw as a prospect and needs some more time to develop.  With another year he would no question be in the conversation to be a for a 1st round pick.  This year I seriously doubt he is a 1st round pick.  

Liam Eichenberg I think is a better player right now than Austin Jackson but he along with Cole Kmet said in an interview they are coming back to school so that could open some things up draft wise especially at OT much less TE.  Same with Walker Little at OT and what he does and Jedrick Willis, Alaric Jackson and Cole Van Lanen

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm a bit behind in watching games this year given everything going on.  Would be nice if Trey Adams ever lived up to his physical tools.  I know there were quite a few in the Packers' forum that thought that Adams was a potential FRP last year, and he was a massive flop.

flop?  Why because he was injured?  That was the main reason for his poor play last year.  He could have been a 1st round pick if he played but was hurt the first 10 games last year and took some time to come back, did not look the same and was not in shape.   The season before that he played 7 games then his season was over because of an injury.

This year he has stayed health and has looked good and solid I think, would be very surprised if he is not a 1st round pick if he passes everything physically.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

flop?  Why because he was injured?  That was the main reason for his poor play last year.  He could have been a 1st round pick if he played but was hurt the first 10 games last year and took some time to come back, did not look the same and was not in shape.   The season before that he played 7 games then his season was over because of an injury.

This year he has stayed health and has looked good and solid I think, would be very surprised if he is not a 1st round pick if he passes everything physically.  

Looked good? I think he’s looks average to below average.