Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Definitely not Wirfs. I think he has awesome feet. He's not technically proficient yet, but he definitely could play on the left side.

Jedrick Wills could probably do it, but he's a little more slow-footed.

That's what sets Thomas at the top for me personally.

Good to hear on Wirfs, and I guess it may depend on team need but finding a legit LT that's a natural over there is a big plus.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's what sets Thomas at the top for me personally.

Good to hear on Wirfs, and I guess it may depend on team need but finding a legit LT that's a natural over there is a big plus.

Yeah Thomas is virtually safe to play LT. He will mirror any speed rusher in the league with relative ease.

However, I don't think he'll generate any push in the run game. He'll be a great fit on some teams and a bleh fit on others. If you are a run-first team, you're going to want Wills/Wirfs over Thomas.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah Thomas is virtually safe to play LT. He will mirror any speed rusher in the league with relative ease.

However, I don't think he'll generate any push in the run game. He'll be a great fit on some teams and a bleh fit on others. If you are a run-first team, you're going to want Wills/Wirfs over Thomas.

I mean we've had the mauler in the run game/heavy feet guy in Cam Robinson and he hasn't figured it out yet. Came off an ACL but man is he horrible in pass pro.

I gotta dig in on them more but from what I've seen/you said Wills just doesn't make much sense. Wirfs is intriguing but I gotta say I'm not huge on drafting a guy top 10 who has to transition to the other side.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I mean we've had the mauler in the run game/heavy feet guy in Cam Robinson and he hasn't figured it out yet. Came off an ACL but man is he horrible in pass pro.

I gotta dig in on them more but from what I've seen/you said Wills just doesn't make much sense. Wirfs is intriguing but I gotta say I'm not huge on drafting a guy top 10 who has to transition to the other side.

Wills has never had problems mirroring speed, but he does have heavy feet. He reminds me of Ereck Flowers if he had functional strength. I hated Ereck Flowers as a prospect because he was softer than Charmin. Wills is a hard-piping MF'er that takes souls when he gets his hands on you. I don't think Flowers struggled to mirror speed...it was that he didn't jar anyone with his hands and he was incredibly lazy. Wills is neither of those things. But in terms of movement ability, I think Ereck Flowers for Wills.

that is not in any way a full comparison for Wills though. He's better than Flowers by a mile.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Definitely not Wirfs. I think he has awesome feet. He's not technically proficient yet, but he definitely could play on the left side.

Jedrick Wills could probably do it, but he's a little more slow-footed.

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Wills has never had problems mirroring speed, but he does have heavy feet. He reminds me of Ereck Flowers if he had functional strength. I hated Ereck Flowers as a prospect because he was softer than Charmin. Wills is a hard-piping MF'er that takes souls when he gets his hands on you. I don't think Flowers struggled to mirror speed...it was that he didn't jar anyone with his hands and he was incredibly lazy. Wills is neither of those things. But in terms of movement ability, I think Ereck Flowers for Wills.

that is not in any way a full comparison for Wills though. He's better than Flowers by a mile.

To me that's a key component in staying at LT in the NFL.   Frankly, I think Austin Jackson has better footwork than Wills - but isn't battle-tested.    The Q for me would be if Jackson should go ahead of Wills if you absolutely must have a LT.   I hate that the Pac-12 schedules don't offer much insight as to how they handle power or their push in a grinding run game.   But yeah, I was hoping DEN would pick early enough that Wirfs would be there....but doubtful now at 15.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

@Broncofan I can't quote that post for some reason.

But I agree with you. Austin Jackson has unreal feet. But he kind of sucks. He has no mean streak and has terrible technique when engaged with DE's. He makes mental mistakes a lot.

If Wirfs is there at pick #10, he's almost guaranteed to be a Cleveland Brown.

Yeah, Jackson's going to be a guy who absolutely lights up the Combine - but whose tape really needs scrutiny, because the Pac-12 D level of competition is nowhere near the same as SEC, Big 10, or even ACC (although SEC/Big10 are their own level right now).   And he certainly wasn't lights out even against lesser competition, which is a huge Q (although his Bowl game, I recall he acquitted himself well - need to go back, it's been a while lol).  He's got the tools, but the skills aren't even close to NFL-level success yet.   Kolton Miller draft-rise seems very possible, with all the Q's that came with Miller then with Jackson now.

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, Jackson's going to be a guy who absolutely lights up the Combine - but whose tape really needs scrutiny, because the Pac-12 D level of competition is nowhere near the same as SEC, Big 10, or even ACC (although SEC/Big10 are their own level right now).   And he certainly wasn't lights out even against lesser competition, which is a huge Q (although his Bowl game, I recall he acquitted himself well - need to go back, it's been a while lol).  He's got the tools, but the skills aren't even close to NFL-level success yet.   Kolton Miller draft-rise seems very possible, with all the Q's that came with Miller then with Jackson now.

He's my "bust" pick for those prospects being talked about in the top half of the 1st.

Edited by BleedTheClock

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's my "bust" pick for those prospects being talked about in the top half of the 1st.

The scary part for me as a  DEN fan is that if Thomas/Wirfs/Wills are gone, and Lamb/Ruggs are gone, we could go there.   I was pounding the table for a LT back when it seemed a lock that we'd stay in the 10-11 range - at 15, I'd kill if Wirfs somehow made it there, but not counting on it.   And I know Lamb is a pipe dream.   Ruggs I have some doubts on given his pecking order in 'Bama, but my concerns on Jackson are high enough, even though we need to replace Bolles, I think we're better off going in a different direction.  Sucks, because 6-8 weeks ago, Jackson really intrigued me, but it's hard to disregard having bad games vs. mediocre competition.  That doesn't fly in the NFL.

The scary part for me as a  DEN fan is that if Thomas/Wirfs/Wills are gone, and Lamb/Ruggs are gone, we could go there.

I really dont think DEN is going to target a OT. While he wasnt perfect, Bolles was much better the second half of the season. And he has Risner to lean on when needed. Elway was pretty supportive of him when asked last week. He also outlined the cohesion he was building w/ Risner. I would stick with him and hope Risner is like the George to his Lenny, ideally with less dead rabbits once it plays out.  

On the other side, James is just making far too much money to be written off. Guaranteed money to boot. 

I think a R2/R3 IOL is much more likely, then hopefully a developmental OT, then we revisit this if Bolles doesnt show out his last rookie contract year. 

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I really dont think DEN is going to target a OT. While he wasnt perfect, Bolles was much better the second half of the season. And he has Risner to lean on when needed. Elway was pretty supportive of him when asked last week. He also outlined the cohesion he was building w/ Risner. I would stick with him and hope Risner is like the George to his Lenny, ideally with less dead rabbits once it plays out.  

On the other side, James is just making far too much money to be written off. Guaranteed money to boot. 

I think a R2/R3 IOL is much more likely, then hopefully a developmental OT, then we revisit this if Bolles doesnt show out his last rookie contract year. 

I think if Thomas & Wirfs are gone, and likely Wills too, it probably plays out as you outlined.   Ugh, gotta say I think Bolles' "improved" play was simply Lock sensing pressure and getting away from it - vs. some very meh pass rushes.   But I definitely don't support reaching for T out of perceived need, either - that's what got us in this mess in the first place.