Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

8 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Looked good? I think he’s looks average to below average.

If you think Adams is below average then who in the nation is above average at OT?  And you cannot include Oregon Duck players in the conversation, everyone should know by now Penei Sewell will be a top 10 pick next year. 

Sure maybe Adams will fall to the 2nd round because of injury issues potentially that teams might be afraid of.  But same happened to Risner last year, dropped in the 2nd round and starts now and is doing great and has been really impressive.  Jawaan Taylor dropped and is a starter, same with Cody Ford and Elgton Jenkins has got some starting time in GB and Erik McCoy has got starting experience at times for the Saints.  

So does not matter where one is picked come draft time, 1st round or 2nd, but considering the other tackles around in the up coming draft Adams is one of the better ones easily and has a ton of upside and is much more athletic than people give him credit for.  

On 11/13/2019 at 9:25 PM, CWood21 said:

Is it still Andrew Thomas or bust for tackles?

I don't really see it as that.  I think Wirfs is legitimately up there with him in the top 10.  I'd like to see him sustain blocks a bit longer, but honestly he has everything else you would want in an OT.  

Beyond that, I really think this is a deep group in the late 1st to 3rd round range, and to add to that, guys who fit a lot of specific schemes.  While there's guys like Thomas/Wirfs, who fit in every scheme, what brings these guys down is that they're not as good a fit universally.  Niang is a pure body mover type RT, who has adequate feet in pass pro, but what's impressed me about him is how he processes information, and recognizes stunts and anticipates blocks.  Prince Tega Wanogho is an incredibly raw athletic freak.  He's got a LOT of work to do but he beats guys with pure athleticism.  Aleric Jackson is a guy who's got the athleticism and power to fit in any scheme but he's raw, handwork and balance is not there yet, he just doesn't trust his athleticism/power despite his movement skills and footwork being great.  Too much lunging and biting on fakes and counters.  Josh Jones is similar, but not nearly as purely athletic.  He's much more functionally athletic and powerful, and doesn't have quite the ceiling, but he's more refined than I thought he would be.  Very smooth in pass pro and blocking at the 2nd level.  Trey Adams is almost a Eric Fisher, Joe Staley, Nate Solder level athlete.  To me he seems most like Solder, with the injury history and all.  Just so athletic and smooth in pass pro, but what makes him special, is that he's so good at eating up space in pass pro, and is an expert jump setting the edge rusher and disrupting their takeoff and path.  That'll make him a really good fit for particular schemes, including the Chargers, Rams and Falcons (though the Falcons don't need another OT).  Mekhi Becton is a guy who's just a pure power player who's a freakish athlete. Guy just dominates people with freakish strength and functional athleticism.  Dude has absoultely nuts rotational strength, he throws people out the club on a regular basis.  A guy who doens't get nearly as much credit as he deserves (though it's yet to be seen if he actually comes out) is blind side RT (because of Tua) Jedrick Willis.  Dude is an absolute beast and might be my favorite OT not in the top 2 this year.  Guy is just so technically sound and crafty, utilizing a variety of different sets and extremely good hands/punch to win in pass pro, with good/adequate feet to match. He's head and shoulders better than Leatherwood IMO.  There's also a few interesting guys a bit later like Ben Bartch and Charlie Heck who I think can be legit starters in the NFL despite more limited film on them. Some of the small school guys I trust have deemed Bartch the best small school OL since Marpet.

All of these guys outside of Wirfs/Jones are a bit more specific to match to teams, but there's a LOT of talent, especially if a few of these guys come out.  I think people underrate a lot of these guys for one reason or another not deservingly.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Is Josh Jones this years Andre Dillard? No real hype currently outside of PFF, but probably going to kick butt in the SB and at the combine, and become a 1st round pick?

There is no way Josh Jones runs a 4.96 40 time, he is a big freaking dude and sure is ok athletically but is not that fast or quick.  Is more of a mauler with a mountain wingspan.  Probably a nice mid round pick but not sure he is a high level prospect honestly.  Dillard was because of how he played especially as a senior and how he performed at the combine.  Doubt Josh Jones will be top athletically in multiple categories like Dillard was.  

I could see Austin Jackson if he declares rising pretty high like Dillard did and performing very well athletically.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 10:17 PM, Ozzy said:

There is no way Josh Jones runs a 4.96 40 time, he is a big freaking dude and sure is ok athletically but is not that fast or quick.  Is more of a mauler with a mountain wingspan.  Probably a nice mid round pick but not sure he is a high level prospect honestly.  Dillard was because of how he played especially as a senior and how he performed at the combine.  Doubt Josh Jones will be top athletically in multiple categories like Dillard was.  

I could see Austin Jackson if he declares rising pretty high like Dillard did and performing very well athletically.

No, he's the Tytus Howard of this draft

6 hours ago, Counselor said:

Who is this Louisville Tackle I’ve seen mocked in the first in @BowserBroncos mock?

I assume it is Mekhi Becton, I have him in the 2nd round but with a great combine could maybe go late 1st round.  I think Austin Jackson if he declares has a better chance though going in that 1st round range if he declares.  Becton is a mountain of a dude and is pretty athletic for his size and a decent pass protector along with being a good run blocker.  Does have some injury history though.

6 hours ago, dulatows said:

Does Isaiah Wilson project as a top guard versus an low end starting tackle? He looks the part.

I have of course Trey Smith being a guard when he could be a RT but would be better at guard.  I have Alaric Jackson converting to guard in the NFL along with Alex Leatherwood possibly.  Isaiah Wilson could do it but I think he could be just fine a RT potentially.  Only way he moves to guard at that length he has is if he cannot handle RT in the NFL.  Heck even Andrew Thomas could be a guard in the right system, and Jon Runyan could be really good there potentially as well.

13 hours ago, Counselor said:

Who is this Louisville Tackle I’ve seen mocked in the first in @BowserBroncos mock?

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I assume it is Mekhi Becton, I have him in the 2nd round but with a great combine could maybe go late 1st round.  I think Austin Jackson if he declares has a better chance though going in that 1st round range if he declares.  Becton is a mountain of a dude and is pretty athletic for his size and a decent pass protector along with being a good run blocker.  Does have some injury history though.

Yeah, I agree with Ozzy. I had him as a day 2 pick. But I already saw him being mock in the 1st. Jackson, Josh Jones and Becton could have chances of 1st round with a good draft season. That's why I think guys like Leatherwood and Trey Adams may fall out the 1st round.

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

Is Alex Leatherwood's ceiling higher at OT or Guard?

And can Jedrick Wills play LT or is he just a RT?

Leatherwood could play RT but honestly I think he could be much better at guard so yeah guard.

Jedrick Willis should be a RT I feel, has more power and is a nasty run blocker.  If the Vikings want an athletic tackle with high upside Austin Jackson would make a ton of sense.  They are probably out of the running for Wirfs and Trey Adams would fit nicely but does have a injury history and is not as young as Jackson is.  But the Vikings most likely go DT if there is a good one there.