Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And who are these guys?  Because honestly outside of Biadasz there are no real guards who deserve a 1st round pick now that Alaric Jackson and Alex Leatherwood are out.  

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma has late 1st round value if he comes out but might not, maybe Jonah Jackson possibly.  I could see those OTs all being 1st round guys but you take Austin Jackson and Trey Smith out things change fast.  Unless one thinks those guys on the Oregon line are high 1st rounders which I do not, same with the seniors on the Auburn OL.  And if Kraemer returns to school like Eichenberg it hurts the depth on the OG/OT spot as well.

OT
Tristian Wirfs Iowa JR
Andrew Thomas Georgia JR
Jedrick Willis Alabama JR
Trey Adams Washington RS
Austin Jackson USC JR
Mekhi Becton Louisville JR

OG
Trey Smith Tennessee JR
Jonah Jackson Ohio State GS*
Deonte Brown Alabama RS JR
John Simpson Clemson
Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS

C
Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin RS JR
Creed Humphrey Oklahoma RS SOPH
Nick Harris Washington

None of this is set in stone at this ridiculously early stage in the process, plenty of guys come out of nowhere every year and the Senior Bowl is a good place to make a name for yourself - particularly as an offensive linemen who aren't watched as closely as individuals throughout the season. Last year Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary, Garrett Bradbury, Erik McCoy, Dalton Risner and Nate Davis all came out of the event with their reputations significantly enhanced.

There's a whole bunch of interesting smaller school guys who could put their names forward with a good showing, some of the bigger names such as Nick Harris, Prince Tega Wanogho and Logan Stenberg who are talented enough to something away from their units for the first time. Josh Jones has plenty of admirers and a good draft season could see him into the 1st round with his athletic upside. Matt Hennessy has huge PFF grades for the past two seasons at Temple and I haven't been able to get a close look at him. Similarly Keith Ismael from San Diego State comes out of the Mountain West with a string of accolades and awards, just can't get much film on him. Matt Peart from Conneticut could be the most intriguing, had a huge athletic upside and put up big PFF grades on a bad team - excited to see how he does. 

others can answer questions around their health - such as Trey Adams

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

None of this is set in stone at this ridiculously early stage in the process, plenty of guys come out of nowhere every year and the Senior Bowl is a good place to make a name for yourself - particularly as an offensive linemen who aren't watched as closely as individuals throughout the season. Last year Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary, Garrett Bradbury, Erik McCoy, Dalton Risner and Nate Davis all came out of the event with their reputations significantly enhanced.

There's a whole bunch of interesting smaller school guys who could put their names forward with a good showing, some of the bigger names such as Nick Harris, Prince Tega Wanogho and Logan Stenberg who are talented enough to something away from their units for the first time. Josh Jones has plenty of admirers and a good draft season could see him into the 1st round with his athletic upside. Matt Hennessy has huge PFF grades for the past two seasons at Temple and I haven't been able to get a close look at him. Similarly Keith Ismael from San Diego State comes out of the Mountain West with a string of accolades and awards, just can't get much film on him. Matt Peart from Conneticut could be the most intriguing, had a huge athletic upside and put up big PFF grades on a bad team - excited to see how he does. 

others can answer questions around their health - such as Trey Adams

Lindstrom and McGary increased because of the athletic ability they showed, same with McCoy and Bradbury but not sure any have done great at the next level.  Bradbury has just been ok and has gotten pushed around a lot and struggles with power.  Risner of that first group you mentioned is the only star right off the bat but the others could improve, but no surprise he was, he had a better college career that all of them and was way under drafted, he should have been a 1st rounder all the way last year. 

So you are going off PFF grades?  I guess whatever you want to do go for it.  I do not pay for those and rarely look at them.  Would be curious who was the highest graded OT, OG or C prospects based on not giving up QB pressures.  I did read Tristan Wirfs only gave up 2 sacks, 2 QB hits and 3 QB hurries in 735 snaps which is pretty impressive I think.

Josh Jones is not nearly as athletic as some make him out to be, Becton is a better athlete than Josh Jones as a big dude.  Tega-Wanogho is just ok but I agree maybe he could help show himself being away from that SR lead Auburn OL with the same guys usually around him.  Stenberg I agree and I already have him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, kid is a beast blocker.

Hennessy and Ismael I am not that familiar with so yeah the pre draft work helps that.  Nick Harris to me is very little and his arms are very short so that could be a big problem at the next level.  Aggressive blocker though and has played forever at Washington and has been a starter from very early in his career.  

Will see how these guys look, if some of them they perform well it could changes things for the class no doubt.  But none really did that great this season outside of maybe Cleveland and Damien Lewis.  Those guys on Miss State Eiland, Reese and Williams kind of disappointed I thought but maybe Reese and Eiland come back to school and really I hope they do.  

OT
Jon Runyan Michigan RS
Isaiah Wilson Georgia RS SOPH
Ezra Cleveland Boise State RS JR
Jared Hilbers Washington
Greg Eiland Miss State RS JR
Charlie Heck UNC RS
Termayne Anchrum Clemson
Stewart Reese Miss State RS JR
Nick Kaltmayer Kansas State RS
Terrence Steele Texas Tech RS
Scott Frantz Kansas State RS

OG
Damien Lewis LSU
Steven Gonzalez Penn State RS
Donell Stanley South Carolina RS
Mike Horton Auburn
Darryl Williams Miss State RS
Dallas Warmack Oregon RS
Sean Pollard Clemson
Parker Braun Texas RS
Michael Onwenu Michigan

C
Jake Hanson Oregon RS
Cesar Ruiz Michigan JR
Landon Dickerson Alabama
Donell Stanley South Carolina RS
Zach Shackelford Texas

The more I hear a lot of the OL guys talk about this class, the more I like it.

One interesting thing I just saw that was eye opening was Duke Manyweather comparing Charlotte LT Cameron Clark to Terron Armstead...that's crazy but I think he's going to be a very good OL.

Add Kevin Dotson (who he also mentioned as a day 1 starter at OG), he likes Robert Hunt, he said the same about Ben Brandsen, along with 3 top tier OT's.  Lemieux is another guy who is a very good OG. Muti is entering this class who I think is very good. And then on top of that, there's a TON of second teir OT's who have their issues but all can be legit players.

As for Peart, I really like what I've seen.  He's been really good, and I like what I saw from him.  He's got a lot of work to do, but he's a very toolsy guy that can be developed.  He's not a freak like you think of with Kaleb McGary, but he's long and a very efficient mover.  Think of him as a less devleoped Josh Jones. He's somewhat Morgan Moses, that's the end goal with him.  He's got a big frame that needs to fill out. 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, goldfishwars said:

There is a lot to like about Josh Jones but like I have said before he will be drafted higher than he should be arguably just because the need for OT talent and there is not a ton of it in this draft.  So if a team needs one they only have a few top guys to pick from and he could easily sneak into the 1st round just because of that.  

Sure he freaking "grades" out well by PFF.  But this season he played what two pro level DEs all season long?  Brendon Hayes who had 2 sacks in the game probably not on Jones side I assume, and Ronnie Perkins had 1 sack and 2 TFLs in the game and again I assume it was not against Jones but I do not know for sure.  Jones did lay on a few guys and flatten them in pass pro against OU which was cool but again was not really stressed much or asked to block high level guys often throughout the season.   And Perkins or Hayes are not amazing next level prospects anyways.

Senior bowl I agree will be huge for him, but in terms of strength and overall athletic ability at his massive size he is interesting.  Will see how he does against some actual competition though.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Not sure Jones even played OT all season. Could've sworn he got moved to OG.

I did not see every game Houston played but apparently this year Gio Pancotti was the only offensive lineman to play all 12 games.  Josh Jones played 9 of them and had a season ending injury late in the year.  Houston had 8 different starting combinations and 12 different players made at least one start on the OL.

So again back to the issue of PFF grading not actually telling the entire story of what happened this past year.  Never once in those little write ups did it say he missed games this year or go injured.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I did not see every game Houston played but apparently this year Gio Pancotti was the only offensive lineman to play all 12 games.  Josh Jones played 9 of them and had a season ending injury late in the year.  Houston had 8 different starting combinations and 12 different players made at least one start on the OL.

So again back to the issue of PFF grading not actually telling the entire story of what happened this past year.  Never once in those little write ups did it say he missed games this year or go injured.

And again, the big flaw with PFF is that they assume the competition is equal.  It's not.

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Eh not really, the grade is the grade - but their rankings account for level of competition. 

Ranking sure, but ppl quote the grade so often, which doesn't account for the competition.   It's an even bigger flaw with NFL grades, which get quoted like the end-all and be-all.

Edited by Broncofan