Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Again, being right about a few guys is not the same thing as being consistently right. I've watched PFF closely for years. They have their hits and misses, like anybody else. As expected, they're good at telling you who is great and who is bad, but that's the easiest part of the job. They're not that good at sorting guys who fall in between. 

I can't believe how many people on here read that.  I honestly never look at PFF ever during the season of off season unless I see some link someone posts on here.  Only thing really good about them is the pass pro stats on the OL they have because one cannot find those anywhere and few even calculate them.  But clearly they do not take into account who they play or the competition level. 

I remember in 2018 someone hyping the Michigan corners as the best in the country based on a PFF stat with David Long and Lavert Hill as the best combo of corners in college football based on completion percentage.   But it was early in the season and they have not played anyone and they played Ohio State later in the year and got killed obviously through the air.  

But yeah to me reading what PFF says then bringing it around here just seems like why?  Then one is just saying what they said and making it seem like your own opinion.  I never get that but whatever.  Twitter I never follow either but a lot like to throw out a name, and realize if they do not turn out not many will remember that, but if they do more will recall it so throw it out there first and what get it trending...whatever...

9 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

He got abused by an impressive Baylor DLineman (not Roy I think) but that was the 1 of the only bad film I saw of him.

Yeah it was Roy that abused him actually in both Baylor games at times.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I can't believe how many people on here read that.  I honestly never look at PFF ever during the season of off season unless I see some link someone posts on here.  Only thing really good about them is the pass pro stats on the OL they have because one cannot find those anywhere and few even calculate them.  But clearly they do not take into account who they play or the competition level. 

I remember in 2018 someone hyping the Michigan corners as the best in the country based on a PFF stat with David Long and Lavert Hill as the best combo of corners in college football based on completion percentage.   But it was early in the season and they have not played anyone and they played Ohio State later in the year and got killed obviously through the air.  

But yeah to me reading what PFF says then bringing it around here just seems like why?  Then one is just saying what they said and making it seem like your own opinion.  I never get that but whatever.  Twitter I never follow either but a lot like to throw out a name, and realize if they do not turn out not many will remember that, but if they do more will recall it so throw it out there first and what get it trending...whatever...

Yeah it was Roy that abused him actually in both Baylor games at times.  

TBF, David Long was/is actually a good prospect. I'm not a big Lavert Hill guy, though.

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

TBF, David Long was/is actually a good prospect. I'm not a big Lavert Hill guy, though.

Very true, David Long can play but he is good not a great prospect like that post made him/them out to be, because it was a skewed not accurate statistic.  Sure the number showed they were great at the time but took no consideration into who they went up against at all.  

But sure forever people will throw a PFF link up to prove a point as if that proves anything other than a statistical number that is not normally recorded or shown to the public.  Would love to see a individual OL stats or even sacks/pressures given up in the box score but it is never going to happen.  

12 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Most PFF hate is clearly rooted in the fear of new things and new information and its annoying so hence I rant. 

Then you weren't reading my take properly, FWIW.  My point is that PFF's grade is too simplistic, and used that way.  As the ensuing conversation by others reference consistently.  I actually prefer more advanced metric systems that already take into account the competition.   I think metrics and analytics are a crucial tool - but the grade without context is not nearly as sophisticated as more advanced versions. 

If you think my pointing out the clear grade on PFF is fear of new things - it's not, I just prefer more advanced analytics.  As you said, it's a starting point - but it's used all the time by ppl as the supposed end-argument.  And that's not my impression, that's the entire convo the last page.    Take it FWIW.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Anyone else LOVE Tyler Biadasz? He’s my top rated OL. 

Yes. Somebody told me he didn't play well against Oregon, so I'll have to take a look at that game, but the film I've seen is impressive as hell. For example, he might have lost only one snap in the entire Iowa game. He's not long or incredibly athletic, but he's skilled, strong, and heady. He's a technician who just wins down after down.

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Anyone else LOVE Tyler Biadasz? He’s my top rated OL. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yes. Somebody told me he didn't play well against Oregon, so I'll have to take a look at that game, but the film I've seen is impressive as hell. For example, he might have lost only one snap in the entire Iowa game. He's not long or incredibly athletic, but he's skilled, strong, and heady. He's a technician who just wins down after down.

The tough part though is If their athleticism is capped and they dominate by being an excellent technician - it might not translate to NFL success with the jump in speed / strength.  

I do like that he’s got the size for the NFL, though.   Just scarier as a Rd1 / early 2 to take that profile.  

Oregon’s DL gave him fits, FWIW.  If he was being drafted in the mid-2nd - 3rd, no argument.   Mid-late 1st or early 2nd seems high.  

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The tough part though is If their athleticism is capped and they dominate by being an excellent technician - it might not translate to NFL success with the jump in speed / strength.  

I do like that he’s got the size for the NFL, though.   Just scarier as a Rd1 / early 2 to take that profile.  

Oregon’s DL gave him fits, FWIW.  If he was being drafted in the mid-2nd - 3rd, no argument.   Mid-late 1st or early 2nd seems high.  

I would be more concerned about the technician bit if he weren't country strong with great body control and good enough quickness. He's a Center. He doesn't need to be an elite athlete. He blocks extremely well on the second level. I'll have to watch the Oregon game and pinpoint what caused problems.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

This is exactly what they were saying about Travis Frederick. Then he was drafted late first and everyone laughed at the Cowboys. 5 Pro Bowls and 3 All-Pros later...

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

And still Biadasz is not the best Oline prospect in this draft. 

Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t select him before the OT’s (Thomas/Wirfs/Wills), but I have a higher grade on Biadasz not factoring in positional importance. 

I usually do my grades without attaching need or position to the player. So it’s not uncommon for my top 20 to have kickers, fullbacks, or guards in there despite the fact I’d never burn a high draft pick on those positions. 

I know that’s kind of a weird way to structure your big board, but that’s how I’ve done it for a while now. 

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Oregon DL gave him fits?  They had zero sacks and three TFLs, zero QB hits, Jordon Scott played tough aggressive football and made some plays no question but the rest of the Oregon DL were not super productive I thought.  Scott played great a few times on a few splash plays but not sure Biadasz got dominated or something.  Oregon won that game because of the standout play in the secondary with physical tackling and getting interceptions not a dominating DL.  

5 hours ago, Counselor said:

And still Biadasz is not the best Oline prospect in this draft. 

I think no one at all is saying Biadasz is the best OL in the draft, he is the best interior OL in the draft hands down and is arguably the only interior guy who will be drafted in the 1st round potentially.  

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Oregon DL gave him fits?  They had zero sacks and three TFLs, zero QB hits, Jordon Scott played tough aggressive football and made some plays no question but the rest of the Oregon DL were not super productive I thought.  Scott played great a few times on a few splash plays but not sure Biadasz got dominated or something.  Oregon won that game because of the standout play in the secondary with physical tackling and getting interceptions not a dominating DL.  

I think no one at all is saying Biadasz is the best OL in the draft, he is the best interior OL in the draft hands down and is arguably the only interior guy who will be drafted in the 1st round potentially.  

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t select him before the OT’s (Thomas/Wirfs/Wills), but I have a higher grade on Biadasz not factoring in positional importance. 

I usually do my grades without attaching need or position to the player. So it’s not uncommon for my top 20 to have kickers, fullbacks, or guards in there despite the fact I’d never burn a high draft pick on those positions. 

I know that’s kind of a weird way to structure your big board, but that’s how I’ve done it for a while now. 

Ozzy you were saying? He says he has a higher grade on him meaning the best OL in the class to him.