Official 2020 OT/IOL Thread

CalhounLambeau

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Very true but the man also seems quite thin in the lower and upper extremities,

Ummm, what. He's got bigger arms and thighs than Thomas, and more well defined calves. The guy's weight is well distributed 

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

gets out of position a lot at times, over blocks down field and creates poor blocking angles sometimes

I don't see this at all. 

does not have a thick lower base

Uhh, are we looking at the same guy?

and does have a little bit of a injury history.  

He's missed 1 game since becoming a starter. 

Edited by YogiBiz

On 1/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, YogiBiz said:

I can definitely see why this would be a knock on Ruiz, but I have long felt Michigan has had a lackluster O-Line coaching staff as they always seem to always vastly under perform in that department.

Totally agree, they didn't play to their talent level this year - but all three interior guys coming out are NFL starter talent. 

Edited by goldfishwars

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Thats what I keep coming away with. I think he is the #2 OT. Some people see his weight and ding him, but the man moves on tape. 

How did you manage to remove me from the quote lol.  But I wholeheartedly agree. The more I watch on Becton, the better he looks. Flat-out dominant and with that athleticism? Yes please on virtually any NFL squad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Will see how he times out, and his versatility does help I suppose but again I am not sure I see him as a tough 3/4 ILB, I would argue Markus Bailey is more versatile and is far more physical at the point of contact and can rush the edge if asked and is a better open field tackler.  But he was injured this year so could not show it as much.  And his teammate Chris Orr I like a lot as a 3/4 ILB with his pass rush skills and is more physical and strong than Baun.  Baun might be more versatile in coverage but even a guy like Josh Uche I would take over Baun, Uche is surprisingly decent in coverage and is way stronger at the point of contact.  Uche can walk tackles backwards, Baun cannot do that as much and is more a speed guy.

I was surprised TJ Edwards last year was not drafted and not surprised he has done well when given a chance, and I am not surprised at all Connelly has been good when he has gotten an opportunity.  But not sure that means Baun should be overvalued just because of those guys being undervalued.

If anyone is a sleeper 1st round pick as a 3/4 OLB with versatility it is Josh Uche I think.

PracticalHorribleBear.webp

ImpracticalPeacefulGuanaco.webp

SafeHiddenAmericanwirehair.webp

Uche underwhelmed on the field in his time in Ann Arbor. But since this is the OL thread I’ll just leave it at that, don’t want to clutter this up with LB talk 👍🏻.

5 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Uche underwhelmed on the field in his time in Ann Arbor. But since this is the OL thread I’ll just leave it at that, don’t want to clutter this up with LB talk 👍🏻.

So did Danielle Hunter, that didn't stop him much in the league. The draft is about projection and traits, not stats

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So did Danielle Hunter, that didn't stop him much in the league. The draft is about projection and traits, not stats

Didn’t say anything about stats, I watched him play...and there are always going to be players who don’t play well in college that do well in the NFL, it’s a silly argument.

18 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Didn’t say anything about stats, I watched him play...and there are always going to be players who don’t play well in college that do well in the NFL, it’s a silly argument.

But Uche did do these things well at UM, its on film....He actually became a favorite of mine because of what I saw on film, go watch....

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

But Uche did do these things well at UM, its on film....He actually became a favorite of mine because of what I saw on film, go watch....

I don’t really want to re-watch every game this year.
Oh he became a favorite of yours? That changes everything!

Agree to disagree.

Edited by badgers0821

10 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Ummm, what. He's got bigger arms and thighs than Thomas, and more well defined calves. The guy's weight is well distributed 

I don't see this at all. 

Uhh, are we looking at the same guy?

He's missed 1 game since becoming a starter. 

Saying he has bigger thighs than Thomas is not saying much because Thomas is also thin in the lower body specifically around his ankles.  Becton missed more than one game this season alone, and that is not including the bowl game he sat out.   I would consider the Miami game missed due to injury, basically missed the entire game and only played  a little bit before he got hurt and did miss the NC State game also I believe.  Not to mention sitting out the bowl game of course, and if I remember correctly he did miss a game or two as a FR or SOPH, I somewhat recall watching Louisville and he was not in that second season and possibly the first after he became the starter but not totally sure on that.

Watch the Notre Dame game this year, he gets out of position more than once and some of his blocking angles are a little odd considering where the play is supposed to go.  

louisville-western-kentucky-football-nas

To me that is someone with oddly small hands and thin ankles for being that large.  Maybe it is just his arms are so huge his hands look small but regardless it does not look well proportioned to me.

Wirfs on the other hand, huge hands, proportional to his body and thick legs and big thick base.  He is far more well proportioned from top to bottom and it is not even a question in my book as to who has the better build.  

GettyImages-1057626124-1024x683.jpg

Edited by Ozzy

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Anyone else have Ruiz as their #1 C?

Too many mistakes but it will depend on the team.  Harris will be #1 for pure zone blocking schemes.  Cushenberry and Ruiz are 1a and 1b in my eyes for a more power blocking team but both could start their careers at OG while they learn.  I think both are a bit raw.