Official 2020 TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

Back to normal at TE again?

Some of the best seniors: Jared Pinckney, Vandy, Mitchell Wilcox, South Florida, Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic, Jacob Breeland, Oregon,  Jared Rice, Fresno State,  Brycen Hopkins, Purdue,  Cheyenne O'Grady, Arkansas.

Some of the best juniors/sophomores:  Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri,  Grant Calcaterra, Oklahoma,  Hunter Bryant, Washington,  Colby Parkinson, Stanford,  Matt Bushman, BYU,  Chase Allen, Iowa State,  Miller Forristall, Alabama,  Pat Freiermuth, Penn State (true sophomore, 3rd year post high school)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit?usp=sharing

Want to watch all the available cuts, get up-to-date measurements, DOB's for the 2020 TEs, find it here. 

Edited by CalhounLambeau

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Terrible TE class. I like Albert Okwuegbunam and...that's about it.

Hopkins and Breeland could be nice move pieces. But, yeah, otherwise this is just an abysmal year. Let's hope some relative unknowns step it up.

13 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Screenshot-20190610-002726-2.png

I would be shocked if Okwuegbunam does not end up being the top TE in the nation.  Fine looking athlete and is super long, Pickney had a breakout season last year but I think the coverage on him will be completely different this season and things might be a lot harder for him.  Will see if he can duplicate that type of great production.

I do not get the Hunter Bryant love, the guy is just a large WR playing TE, sure there is a lot of that around but could argue Cade Otton his teammate is a more promising looking TE at the next level because his superior size.  Bryant if put at WR would just be average if that and to be a true TE needs to put on a lot more weight and not sure he will be able to do that.  In football today though he can hide there and make some splash plays.   Luke Farrell I like on Ohio State as a complete TE and he might have a breakout year, and Parkinson could easily declare early, he is better than Kaden Smith his teammate that declared lats year.

Where is Sean McKeon in all of this?  I think he is a very solid prospect and has very good size and pass catching ability.  Needs to get stronger but he could have a breakout season this year and if he was on a team without so many TEs to pick from he would have been a lot more productive.  And Jake Ferguson as a RS SOPH I feel is a potential early entry guy with his jump ball ability and how aggressive he plays, could be a drafted TE with another fine season.  

Harrison Bryant I like a lot and he could have a great season with Francois possibly throwing him the football, he has the size and speed for the position.    Too bad Cameron Green retired from football, he could of had another productive season and was a nice looking athlete for a HB/TE

On 6/6/2019 at 12:15 AM, tannenballs said:

How?

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/04/get-to-know-penn-state-tight-end-pat-freiermuth-how-can-he-top-a-stellar-freshman-season.html

Freiermuth reclassified from the Class of 2017 to 2018 which meant an extra year at prep school but also another year of maturity, body development, and more. He played five seasons instead of the typical four at the Brooks School in North Andover, Mass., where he blossomed into a stud pass catcher and one of Massachusetts top high school players who also took pride in the blocking part of his future, which so few high school players do at that level.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Freiermuth is a nice looking prospect, is interesting he could come out as a RS SOPH type with that one Prep year.  I would say Jake Ferguson has more potential though arguably, is just as good of an athlete and is arguably a better jump ball type pass catcher.  He is a RS SOPH and I think could easily declare early as well, and Freiermuth might because it is a some what weak class potentially at TE but depends on how well he does this year.  

Might be better for both to stay in school but will see.  Mike Gesicki was an athletic freak show and even he fell to 2nd round in the draft when he had 1st round athletic ability I thought.  Sure not a typical all around TE but is such a rare looking athlete for the position.  

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Freiermuth is a nice looking prospect, is interesting he could come out as a RS SOPH type with that one Prep year.  I would say Jake Ferguson has more potential though arguably, is just as good of an athlete and is arguably a better jump ball type pass catcher.  He is a RS SOPH and I think could easily declare early as well, and Freiermuth might because it is a some what weak class potentially at TE but depends on how well he does this year.  

Might be better for both to stay in school but will see.  Mike Gesicki was an athletic freak show and even he fell to 2nd round in the draft when he had 1st round athletic ability I thought.  Sure not a typical all around TE but is such a rare looking athlete for the position.  

I've watched both extensively. Freiermuth is just as good at snagging the ball as Gesicki, but plays with a bigger body and frame and is a better blocker, as a freshman than Gesicki as a Senior.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I've watched both extensively. Freiermuth is just as good at snagging the ball as Gesicki, but plays with a bigger body and frame and is a better blocker, as a freshman than Gesicki as a Senior.

I agree Freiermuth is more well rounded and is a better player clearly early in his career compared to Gesicki who was more raw.  But I doubt Freiermuth can put up the athletic numbers Gesicki did, and again still he was only a 2nd rounded with those fine numbers.

4.54 40 and that ranks 10th overall at TE in the last 10 years at the combine.

41.5 vertical is 3rd overall at TE in the last 10 years at the combine

10'9" broad is 6th overall at TE in the last 10 years at the combine

6.76 3 cone is 3rd overall at TE in the last 10 years at the combine

4.10 short shuttle is 3rd overall at TE in the last 10 years at the combine

11.33 60 shuttle is 2nd overall at TE in the last 10 years  at the combine

oh and he did a solid 22 reps at 225

Those are rare numbers he put up and he has a ton of upside, just saying it will be hard I feel for Freiermuth to match those numbers athletically even with a fine freshman season, this next year will show a lot because the talent around him will be a lot less especially at QB and RB so most focus will be put on him at TE.   Will see what he can do, he is a bigger stronger dude compared to Gesicki, more of an all around TE but athletically I am not sure they are that close.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bananabucket said:

@Ozzy Any opinion on Brycen Hopkins?

He runs well for a TE, can stretch the field and has a good build also.  Nice size and speed combo, he is a top 6 TE in the up coming draft and that is with two RS and Prep SOPHs I have declaring early.  So if those two stay in school he could be even higher, but it is not an overall strong TE group.   Hopkins is a versatile TE who you can move around to different spots and even split out wide, I expected a little better season out of him last year as a JR but hopefully he can do that this season and become more of a end zone threat and being a little more productive

• Like 2