Official 2020 TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

You guys are looking too much into the athletic testing numbers with Harrison Bryant. He's really the only TE in this class who could create (separation, getting open and YAC) on his own. I'm with @HoboRocket. He might be a little small and sure, it would help to "test" better at that size, but this is the TE position. I put more stock into the tape and functional movement on the football field.

Devin Asiasi, despite the lack of production, probably has the most polished tape. The guy was playing in a pro style offense and was doing what NFL TEs do on Sundays; reading coverages, finding tight windows/holes, catching balls with defenders all around him etc. I think he and Bryant (Harrison) end up being the two best TEs from this class.

Khmet doesn't look to be anything but a decent RZ option at the next level. He needs to be schemed open because he is so slow off the line, can't separate and he can't block for his size. The lack of awareness is the worst part. The guy is going to suffer some bad injuries if he doesn't get better there. 

It's not a BAD class. I think people look at it and compare it to last year's class subconsciously. There are some decent options for guys that can get you from point A-B, but not much more than that. 

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

You guys are looking too much into the athletic testing numbers with Harrison Bryant. He's really the only TE in this class who could create (separation, getting open and YAC) on his own. I'm with @HoboRocket. He might be a little small and sure, it would help to "test" better at that size, but this is the TE position. I put more stock into the tape and functional movement on the football field.

Devin Asiasi, despite the lack of production, probably has the most polished tape. The guy was playing in a pro style offense and was doing what NFL TEs do on Sundays; reading coverages, finding tight windows/holes, catching balls with defenders all around him etc. I think he and Bryant (Harrison) end up being the two best TEs from this class.

Khmet doesn't look to be anything but a decent RZ option at the next level. He needs to be schemed open because he is so slow off the line, can't separate and he can't block for his size. The lack of awareness is the worst part. The guy is going to suffer some bad injuries if he doesn't get better there. 

It's not a BAD class. I think people look at it and compare it to last year's class subconsciously. There are some decent options for guys that can get you from point A-B, but not much more than that. 

Asiasi creates separation on his own.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Asiasi creates separation on his own.

Not sure if it's a PAC-12 thing, but I mostly saw him going up against zone defenses. Though admittedly, I haven't watched every single cut up there is out there. He certainly can get open, and that's what's lacking in this positional group. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2020 at 3:04 PM, goldfishwars said:

Thoughts added, bearing in mind Tight End has proven to be the one position with the steepest learning curve for players coming out. Very few prospects come out and hit the ground running. Man even the Iowa guys last year, who were both touted as can’t miss prospects had a quiet first season.

Harrison Bryant - Tiny school + bad athlete = not a good combination

Adam Trautman - Tiny school, decent blocker – of all the tight ends I’m most intrigued by him, but yeah tiny school usually equals a steeper learning curve so you might be looking at year three before he contributes. 

Cole Kmet - So meh, such a meh prospect. He was never a feature of that Notre Dame offense and he can't block despite being huge. 

Brycen Hopkins - decent athlete, poor hands, absolutely smothered when pressed on tape 

Albert Okwuegbunam - Unbelievably raw, I don’t care that this guy runs fast – he literally doesn’t know what he’s doing on a football field

Hunter Bryant - Undersized, main selling point was supposed to be his athleticism and let’s just say he completely underwhelmed 

Jacob Breeland - Meh, eh, meh, uh, hmmmm

Dalton Keene - Have not seen this guy yet, perhaps he’s the great hope of the class. 

Jared Pinkney - Terrible athlete, average tape, couldn’t do anything at the Senior Bowl and just has nothing of anything to contribute to the NFL whatsoever 

For those who like Thadeus Moss for his in-line blocking, he’s under 6’2 and under 250 pounds. There’s just not many guys who succeed in that role at that size and he’s got very little else to offer. Probably will need to make it via the special teams route. 

Yep, pretty much agreed on all points.

Such a meh class, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they all end up with roles like....Nick Vannett, Geoff Swaim, Rhett Ellison etc. those types. 

Depends where they go, but I'll predict Kmet is the most productive out of all throughout career - and even then, as a 3rd of 4th preferred option on an offense.

People expect BB to draft one of these because NE doesn't have a TE - I predict he won't touch any of them, just like last season

Edited by Hunter2_1

40 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Isn't Trautman old for the class too? Like won't he be a 24 year old rookie? That and a steep learning curve? Yeah, I'm out.

Never understood this thinking. If he were a RB ok I get it but TE? Even if he takes 2 yrs to get going he'll be what 26 or 27. Don't see his age as a problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sherm said:

Never understood this thinking. If he were a RB ok I get it but TE? Even if he takes 2 yrs to get going he'll be what 26 or 27. Don't see his age as a problem.

Age caps upside. When was the last time an older prospect (24 year old rookie) that went day 1 or 2 worked out? Or even in general. 

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Age caps upside. When was the last time an older prospect (24 year old rookie) that went day 1 or 2 worked out? Or even in general. 

Dallas Goedert was drafted 2 yrs ago by Philly in the 2nd rd. He had just turned 23. Adam Trautman is currently 23(from what I can find) and a pretty good pro comparison is Goedert in terms of skill set and potential. If not for Zach Ertz we'd be talking about a player who could be top 5 at his position.

• Like 1