Official 2020 TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

Cheyenne O'Grady apparently quit from Arkansas' football team on Friday night after a closed door meeting with coaches over accountability from the coaches and playing favorites. Players' parents have said the meeting got extremely heated.

Not a great look for him but apparently he isn't the only one. He's got a lot of game but being suspended nearly every year would scare me as an NFL team.

41 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Cheyenne O'Grady apparently quit from Arkansas' football team on Friday night after a closed door meeting with coaches over accountability from the coaches and playing favorites. Players' parents have said the meeting got extremely heated.

Not a great look for him but apparently he isn't the only one. He's got a lot of game but being suspended nearly every year would scare me as an NFL team.

He has been suspended every year?  Four years in a row?  What were the other suspensions for?  Talented kid but yeah that is very questionable, if he cannot even get along with college coaches who are usually easier and more friendly because they have to be than NFL coaches, he could get eaten up at the next level in terms of coaching and not being able to act like a professional.

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He has been suspended every year?  Four years in a row?  What were the other suspensions for?  Talented kid but yeah that is very questionable, if he cannot even get along with college coaches who are usually easier and more friendly because they have to be than NFL coaches, he could get eaten up at the next level in terms of coaching and not being able to act like a professional.

Not sure if it's been literally every year but he's been in the doghouse with both coaching staffs. It's mostly been things like skipping meetings, the only one that leaves his locker a mess when coaches tell the players to clean them, not focusing on football like he should, etc. Nothing really major and he's usually only been suspended for a quarter or a half.

Maybe if he's getting paid for it he would take it more seriously though.

6 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Not sure if it's been literally every year but he's been in the doghouse with both coaching staffs. It's mostly been things like skipping meetings, the only one that leaves his locker a mess when coaches tell the players to clean them, not focusing on football like he should, etc. Nothing really major and he's usually only been suspended for a quarter or a half.

Maybe if he's getting paid for it he would take it more seriously though.

In many ways he is getting paid for it.  It is called a scholarship with free education, free room and board, free food and free medical/dental.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Yeah he went to the prep school I believe.  I totally expect him to come out early and be the 1st TE taken honestly in this draft, big kid, runs good routes, is physical and strong.  Has a lot of upside and got to love his physical style of play after the catch and on the line of scrimmage.  Rare to have someone that physical at TE be that solid of a pass catcher.  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, HoboRocket said:

Jared Pinkney is potentially a 1st-round caliber tight end. He has some good size and good blocking potential. He plays with his hand in the dirt most of the time, can square up to defenders and has the strength to hold his own in-line. He should transition fairly quickly to the pros. He has good route-running ability and he uses his length to bully linebackers and safeties. He probably isn't going to be a Gronk type tight end where he'll hurt you a ton after the catch. He churns his legs through contact, but he's not that creative and doesn't possess a ton of elusiveness after the catch. He has good hands though, and can make plenty of contested catches in the middle of the field. His burst is just okay, so he doesn't create a ton of separation against stronger defenders when he can't bully them. He has some room for growth as a blocker, that's a good thing because he's already better than a lot of prospects in that regard. I don't know that he's a move tight end, but he's a good receiver who can be a safety valve for the QB and could be a positive contributor as a receiver while being a solid blocker. He sort of reminds me of a better Troy Fumagalli from a couple years back. 

Pinckney has been inconsistent this year, but he's still a pretty good prospect. Plays for a terrible team that struggles to pass the ball with any consistency.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:57 PM, HoboRocket said:

Now, Brycen Hopkins is a really, really good tight end prospect from Purdue. Hopkins is an incredible athlete. Think Evan Engram or Vernon Davis as far as explosion goes. I wouldn't blink if Hopkins ran his 40 in the 4.4 range. And he's not JUST a raw athlete to run vertical routes down the seam like Noah Fant or Mike Gesicki. Hopkins is a super-polished and incredibly refined route runner who runs a wide variety of routes at Purdue. He is super precise and sharp in cuts, a trait that even many receiving tight ends lack. He's explosive off the line, and he's explosive getting into blocks. He's generally a very polished blocker, and gives great effort to fight through blocks. However, he's undersized as a blocker and that will hinder him. Still, he's probably pretty close to being the best blocker that a 240 lbs tight end can be. Like I said, he's really good in that regard, and don't let me sell you short on it. He won't pancake guys and you may want to flex him away from bigger or stronger defensive ends, but he will be an asset when matched up against DBs and LBs as a blocker. He has really soft hands and has been excellent so far in contested catch situations at Purdue. Because Hopkins ran a wealth of routes and has lined up in a variety of roles at Purdue (flexed out wide, in the slot, in-line, or in the backfield), I expect him to have one of the easiest transitions to the NFL that we've seen from tight ends in recent years, a la Evan Engram. If you have the scheme that requires it, Hopkins could be a really good receiver and a solid blocker lined up in-line every snap, but you're probably holding him back from being his best self if you do so. He's at his best when he moves around the formation, as he is a true matchup nightmare that gives defensive coordinators fits. He's explosive out of his stance to beat you early in the route while also being precise and fast to at the top of the route. Literally, the only two things holding him back from being the best TE prospect I've scouted are the fact that he's only 240-245 lbs, and the fact that he hasn't had a ton of experience in the red zone.

Not saying he's the athlete that Vernon Davis is, but as far as explosion goes? His get-off is as good as I've seen. Excellent footwork. I see him as a late round 1, early 2nd round guy similar to Engram, Njoku, or Hunter Henry as far as prospect-level goes (not saying he's the same style of player as Henry); however, I value TEs more than your typical evaluator.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ozzy said:

Jared Pinkney has greatly disappointed this year, he has been totally not a factor in many games Vandy has played this year.  Huge disappointment no doubt about it I feel, has not made much of an impact as a pass catcher at all and probably got a little over hyped off of what he did last year honestly.  1st round?  No freaking way on that.  Cole Kmet is way better and has more upside I feel, not to mention Okwuegbunam is better than him also arguably.  And Jacob Breeland is better than Pinkney as well, or at least was playing that way before he sadly got injured this season.  

And Bryce Hopkins I like, I think he is a promising player but the Vernon Davis talk?  Vernon Davis is arguably the most athletically impressive TE in terms of pure speed and power to ever come into the NFL and is potentially a Hall of Famer.  Brycen Hopkins is not that and will not be a top 10 pick either obviously.  Davis ran a 4.38 40 time, I mean come on that is amazing and Hopkins is simply not that elite of an athlete if you are comparing him to Vernon Davis in terms of athletic ability.  Hopkins is probably a mid round draft pick most likely.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

As I said early in this thread, I had Freiermuth pegged as a 1st rounder in 2021 based off of his play last year. He's been even better this season. He'll be a 1st-rounder. This is a weird comp, but he is a good athlete, good blocker, and great in the red zone. I guess kind of like Hockenson. He's so physical as a blocker and there's just so much to like in his game. Fantastic player.

Cole Kmet is someone who is comfortable playing in-line, and you can see from watching him that he can play in a three-point stance very smoothly. However, he is even smaller than Brycen Hopkins and not as developed as a blocker in my opinion. Athletic and a mismatch receiver that many teams covet nowadays, but he's not as natural catching the football as some of the other prospects, lets the ball bully him sometimes and his hand positioning can be off. Great production, though, and for what it's worth, Stefon Diggs has a lot of the same issues when it comes to catching the football. Hasn't stopped him from being really productive. I guess it's a situation where it's not pretty (i.e. chest catch) but it counts just as much. Now, I said he's comfortable playing in-line, which is true, but as a blocker, unless he's blocking a DB, he's going to be a major liability there if he's asked to sustain blocks. Still, he can be a chip blocker playing in-line and can do a lot as a receiver. You have to fall in love with the athleticism and production, and there's upside from Kmet as a former baseball player who is only just now getting a steady snap count on the football field.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, HoboRocket said:

Cole Kmet is someone who is comfortable playing in-line, and you can see from watching him that he can play in a three-point stance very smoothly. However, he is even smaller than Brycen Hopkins and not as developed as a blocker in my opinion. Athletic and a mismatch receiver that many teams covet nowadays, but he's not as natural catching the football as some of the other prospects, lets the ball bully him sometimes and his hand positioning can be off. Great production, though, and for what it's worth, Stefon Diggs has a lot of the same issues when it comes to catching the football. Hasn't stopped him from being really productive. I guess it's a situation where it's not pretty (i.e. chest catch) but it counts just as much. Now, I said he's comfortable playing in-line, which is true, but as a blocker, unless he's blocking a DB, he's going to be a major liability there if he's asked to sustain blocks. Still, he can be a chip blocker playing in-line and can do a lot as a receiver. You have to fall in love with the athleticism and production, and there's upside from Kmet as a former baseball player who is only just now getting a steady snap count on the football field.

Freiermuth to me right now is the clear #1 TE in the up coming draft, especially with Cole Kmet saying he is going to return to school most likely and play baseball later on this year.  Brycen Hopkins was amazing against Wisconsin.  Showed that big time athletic ability and speed in the open field.  If he times out well you are probably right he could go high in the draft, I would not take him 1st round but 2nd round is a possibility.  Having a great year despite rotating QB play and different receivers in and out, kid is a weapon for sure as a pass catcher.  Breeland being injured now helps him he was playing great this year and now is out of sight out of mind, same with Pinkney playing poorly and Ferguson most likely will return to school and Okwuegbunam is not having a great year. 

I like Josiah Deguara, at times drops the ball but physically he is a monster and is super powerful for his size.  Also I think Hopkins height of 6-5 is not accurate sadly, he does not seem like a huge guy on the field, he seems more like 6-3 or 6-4.  Kmet I would guess is a totally legit 6-5 with an even longer wingspan and hand size, same with Freiermuth but Kmet is even bigger than him I feel.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 9:48 AM, Danger said:

I'm glad we get one more year of him. He'd be a FRP IMO.

Yeah that is not even a question, he will be a 1st rounder all the way no doubt about it in 2021.  He would have been this year though so not sure what he is gaining honestly, but will be arguably a better player next year with more development as an athlete and is great for the NFL to get a more complete and developed player.  Parsons will be an even higher 1st round pick in 2021 and I could see Lamont Wade developing into a nice prospect next year as well, especially if he plays like he did against Ohio State on a consistent basis.  And who knows maybe Toney will make a huge leap next season as well but not sure he is there quite yet.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

Yeah that is not even a question, he will be a 1st rounder all the way no doubt about it in 2021.  He would have been this year though so not sure what he is gaining honestly, but will be arguably a better player next year with more development as an athlete and is great for the NFL to get a more complete and developed player.  Parsons will be an even higher 1st round pick in 2021 and I could see Lamont Wade developing into a nice prospect next year as well, especially if he plays like he did against Ohio State on a consistent basis.  And who knows maybe Toney will make a huge leap next season as well but not sure he is there quite yet.  

I'm watching Jayson Oweh to take over YGM next season. Will be a great replacement. Though depending on how he performs Oweh would likely come back for his senior season.

Just now, Danger said:

I'm watching Jayson Oweh to take over YGM next season. Will be a great replacement. Though depending on how he performs Oweh would likely come back for his senior season.

Yeah it will be interesting, he is pretty damn weak at the point of attack but will get a chance next year for sure.  But he needs to get a lot stronger, he gets pushed around a lot I think.  If Toney comes back he will be the dude on that front to breakout and be the leader but sure Oweh could come along and develop into a dominant player as well.