Official 2020 TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Teams that have a TE good enough to start that can block in-line?

Broncos

Chiefs

Eagles

49ers

Lions

Ravens

Vikings

am I missing anyone else?

Rams. Higbee is a good blocker. Until his breakout late in the season, that was basically his entire role with the team.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Teams that have a TE good enough to start that can block in-line?

Broncos

Chiefs

Eagles

49ers

Lions

Ravens

Vikings

am I missing anyone else?

I thought Waller was a capable blocker, gotta throw Settle in here as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Really? That surprises me. He blocked like a ho at Ole Miss. He’s gonna be a stud if he blocks. 

Yeah he was a surprise to me at the next level, never was this explosive at Ole Miss I thought, flashed in spring games but regular season was nothing great and never even scored a TD.  Had a fine rookie year though will see if he can keep it up, he is a pass catcher though not sure I would call him a great blocker at all but is not awful.  

Kyle Rudolph greatly improved his blocking this season I thought and is one of the few that can do both.  Up and coming TE who can do both in a big way is Dallas Goedert, he is a beast and has Gronk like ability as a blocking and big target down field and guy is massive like Gronk.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Devin Asiasi is very intriguing. Didn't even know he in the draft until today. Moves like a guy much, much smaller. Has the ability to be an inline blocker, but his motor runs hot and cold in the blocking department.

He reminds me of Alge Crumpler

• Like 1

Tight end was always rugged guys like Mike Ditka or John Mackey. Then once the original Kellen Winslow came around it was like an entirely new dimension, someone every bit that big but also sleek and athletic. It seems like everyone has been pursuing that type ever since.

It made sense in the dropback game but IMO that type of tight end no longer ideally fits the current NFL. I'm becoming less interested in the gazelle types than the start and stop types. When athletic quarterbacks are breaking the pocket and creating their own shot you need an instinctive zig zag tight end who can follow along and do the same. That's what makes Kelcie so effective. The guys who look more athletic than the norm but are straight line types and not zig zag types keep getting overhyped. They typically disappoint. I'm referring to guys like Ebron and Njoku and Howard, and Brevin Jordan will qualify next year, if he comes out early.

The greatest contrast I saw during these playoffs was the vast gap in athletic ability and zig zag ability from the tight ends among the top two seeds in the AFC. Mark Andrews is technically a nice player but he was so overmatched and basically irrelevant, other than failing to jump 6 inches off the ground on that first possession against the Titans, turning what should have been a long gain into a tipped interception leading to a touchdown drive. Throughout that game I was realizing that Mahomes is great but he also has a tremendous amount of help, guys who fit the current NFL, while Lamar Jackson has to do far too much on his own, other than Hollywood Brown. I'm sure John Harbaugh was sensing the same type of thing. I imagine there will be greater offensive changes to that roster than are forecast right now.

I wish I could supply current collegiate names. But at tight end I would stop looking for the basketball frames who are rebounder types like Gates or Graham, and shift focus to the guys who can catch at the baseline and then deke in any direction to create their own shot. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 1

I don't really know what to make of this group, I think there is some talent and someone will emerge to become a good NFL starter. But based on resume, a tweenerish skill-set and/or concerns about the talent level some of them have been playing at, I wouldn't be investing high picks at the position in the draft. It's a difficult crop to fully evaluate without anyone ticking off all of those boxes. 

• Like 1