Official 2020 CB/S Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

He looks lazy even in the USC Tape 

Check Cal, Oregon State, BYU. USC is probably his second worst game, although he did a very good job in it. The TD he gave up, he was dead on the WR and slipped.

I'll break those posts apart since they messed up:

Here is my PM to another forum member about Jaylon Johnson: 

For sure man! Trying to find more of Jaylon Johnson tape, it’s like NFL teams stashed it away so no one can look at it lmao. I’ve watched every snap of his tape vs USC (2019), vs Oregon (2019) (worst game), vs BYU (2019), Cal (2019), Fresno State (2019), UCLA (2018), and Stanford (2018). Like I’ve watched every snap of Jaylon these seven games too many times to count. I’m really impressed by him. His tackling effort in the Oregon game was near-CJ Henderson level which I assume he may have had some type of injury, because his tackling in the rest of all his games is good and aggressive. 

As for coverage, he sticks to WR hips like glue and also is a press-machine. Most awesome part is he TIMES his Press to the point he thinks will be the most disruptive and he’s very very good at doing that. The only route(s) I see him have consistent trouble with is when a WR runs a short route and cuts back in quickly for like 6-7 yard gain. He definitely needs to work on that. However Jaylon Johnson defends every other route on the route tree highly effectively, and almost flawless at times. He mirrors the route. Literally mirrors it. That’s what shutdown CB’s in the NFL do.

I have Johnson as my 25th Ranked Player and CB2 overall. 

My CB Rankings:

1. Jeff Okudah (#4 Prospect)

2. Jaylon Johnson (#25 Prospect)

3. CJ Henderson (#29 Prospect)

4. AJ Terrell (#30 Prospect)

5. Kristian Fulton (#38 Prospect)

6. Trevon Diggs (#45 Prospect)

7. Jeff Gladney (#46 Prospect)

I think Henderson has solid coverage but he’s the least physical corner in this class and refuses to tackle in any way. His coverage is also a bit overrated as he uses his 4.3 speed to catch up and get a last second swat. He’s the #2 cover corner, but to me, he’s not that far ahead of Jaylon Johnson. 

Fulton has been overrated in the media process. Whenever he is lined up outside he gets beat consistently, and he rarely ever turns his head to the ball unless it’s the last second. I think he’s a Pro Bowl Nickel CB in the NFL. A complete bust on the outside though. 

Some people are majorly sleeping on C.J. Henderson. They're getting too bogged down in his decision to protect himself and not recognizing how immense his natural talent is. His potential is Peterson/Revis esque. Not many guys have his combination of size, strength, speed, and agility.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Some people are majorly sleeping on C.J. Henderson. They're getting too bogged down in his decision to protect himself and not recognizing how immense his natural talent is. His potential is Peterson/Revis esque. Not many guys have his combination of size, strength, speed, and agility.

I dont think they're sleeping on him so much as really dislike the attitude and commitment. He is an excellent cover corner, I don't think anyone has really questioned that but it depends on what you look for in a corner and what the team looks for, for me I wouldn't draft him at all for the Raiders as he just doesn't fit IMO. I can see other teams being enamoured by the coverage and forgiving the effort and tackling though, plenty if very poor tackling corners have had success. Its just not something I can gloss over.

• Like 1

What's the buzz on Kenny Robinson? He was great at WVU, stood out in the XFL and is eligible for the draft. Imo he is a 2nd round prospect. If he had played another season at WVU and confirmed his first 2 seasons, imo he would've had a 1st round shot with good athletic testing at the Combine. For obvious reasons though Robinson is probably more likely to get the call on day 3 than on day 2. My comparison for him is Byard of the Titans.

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia/mountaineers-in-the-pros/kenny-robinson-projected-as-a-first-round-pick-by-pro-football-focus

Nonetheless, what Robinson has been able to put on tape has been impressive. He's a ballhawking safety that can not only make plays deep down the field, but over the middle, on the perimeter and in the underneath passing game.

Although PFF tabs him as a potential first-rounder, expect Robinson to more than likely be selected on day two in rounds two or three. 

On 3/30/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jeezla said:

I like Geno Stone. He's like a less twitchy Winfield.

He's a football player. Those types are always easy to love. Will probably stick as a heart soul special teams guy on just about every team, but needs the right team and scheme defensively I think because physically he's limited, even if he has everything you want upstairs

• Like 1

I like Julian Blackmon. His film was rough early in the season. He was awful against USC. Bad angles, not getting enough depth, tentative attacking the ball in the air. But he really improved over the course of the year. That's not surprising for a guy playing safety for the first time. He was looking great against Oregon before the injury. Triggers quickly downhill. Has range and ball-skills at deep safety. Good tackler in space. Has the cover skills to handle M2M duties on occasion (isn't quick enough to stick at CB, though). I think as he continues to develop, he'll become a good safety.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, jrry32 said:

I like Julian Blackmon. His film was rough early in the season. He was awful against USC. Bad angles, not getting enough depth, tentative attacking the ball in the air. But he really improved over the course of the year. That's not surprising for a guy playing safety for the first time. He was looking great against Oregon before the injury. Triggers quickly downhill. Has range and ball-skills at deep safety. Good tackler in space. Has the cover skills to handle M2M duties on occasion (isn't quick enough to stick at CB, though). I think as he continues to develop, he'll become a good safety.

How does he compare to Burgess? Him and Blackmon are the two mid round safeties I'm hoping we look at.

8 hours ago, Jeezla said:

If my team were in the market for a starting S I'd take him 1st rd no problem. Won't penalize a player for having a breakout Soph yr and had to return for Jr season.