Official 2020 CB/S Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Who are some 1st round caliber safeties I should be paying attention to?

Grant Delpit JR and that is pretty much it I would say.  Maybe Greg Ellsworth RS JR, he has some toughness and quickness for the position he might be able to sneak into the late 1st round.  Alohi Gilman RS JR had a great season last year and is a physical tackler but struggles in coverage at times, he is more a 2nd to 3rd rounder.  JR Pace JR has ability I think but not 1st round ability, Antonie Winfield Jr RS JR has a lot of upside but can he stay healthy and JR Reed RS SR has some skills but again not sure he is a 1st round talent at this point.  His teammate Richard LeCounte III JR is talented and has corner skills but needs to take his game to the next level.  Travis Whillock RS JR I love as a downhill safety and he might have a breakout season this year.  Innis Gaines SR is very talented and can cover the slot also but needs to stay healthy and stay on the field.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Fulton is my #1 right now. I just love his style. 

For being a what RS JR, Fulton to me has been invisible at times on LSU.  What is there to like about him compared to say Greedy who could not even be a 1st round pick.  Greedy was way more impactful on the game and had way more production getting INTs and simply making plays and playing elite level football from his RS FR year on.  Sure fell a little in the draft because of tackling but has tons of upside and potential.  Fulton I have never seen much of that, sure he can cover ok but there are other corners who cover just as good if not better and make far more plays.  If Greedy fell because of lacking tackling and or toughness how would that not happen to Fulton?  The guy has what 27 tackles total in two years.  Smooth in coverage yeah but I need to see a lot more out of him to consider him a 1st round pick.  

Maybe he will really break out this year and he could sure, but to me Stingley Jr will most likely end up being the clear #1 corner prospect on that team this year by the end of the season.  In the draft give me AJ Terrell all day over Fulton, same with Bryce Hall and potentially even Amik Robertson the former LSU recruit and I expect a big year from AJ Green as well.  And Trevon Diggs could break out as well if he improves his toughness and tackling and can stay healthy for once and play a lot of games.  

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

For being a what RS JR, Fulton to me has been invisible at times on LSU.  What is there to like about him compared to say Greedy who could not even be a 1st round pick.  Greedy was way more impactful on the game and had way more production getting INTs and simply making plays and playing elite level football from his RS FR year on.  Sure fell a little in the draft because of tackling but has tons of upside and potential.  Fulton I have never seen much of that, sure he can cover ok but there are other corners who cover just as good if not better and make far more plays.  If Greedy fell because of lacking tackling and or toughness how would that not happen to Fulton?  The guy has what 27 tackles total in two years.  Smooth in coverage yeah but I need to see a lot more out of him to consider him a 1st round pick.  

Maybe he will really break out this year and he could sure, but to me Stingley Jr will most likely end up being the clear #1 corner prospect on that team this year by the end of the season.  In the draft give me AJ Terrell all day over Fulton, same with Bryce Hall and potentially even Amik Robertson the former LSU recruit and I expect a big year from AJ Green as well.  And Trevon Diggs could break out as well if he improves his toughness and tackling and can stay healthy for once and play a lot of games.  

Fulton only allowed a total of 6 1st downs and TDs all year. Most teams target #2's when you have a CB like Greedy on the other side, but they couldn't. I think this kid has elite coverage skills. It's easier for CB's to improve their tackling skills than it is their coverage skills. I like the other CB's as well, but I Fulton is my guy. He's not a lock because anything can happen this year, but him being "Invisible" is a great thing to me. He doesn't allow room for QB's to try him. He also had a foot injury, so I'm sure that impacted his numbers. He has shown the ability to tackle and no one is considering it a weakness. He's fast, physical, and shuts down his side of the field. 

I have other CBs right there with him. So it's not a large gap. I can't argue against others who pick other CB's as their #1. But I loved what I saw from Fulton. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Fulton only allowed a total of 6 1st downs and TDs all year. Most teams target #2's when you have a CB like Greedy on the other side, but they couldn't. I think this kid has elite coverage skills. It's easier for CB's to improve their tackling skills than it is their coverage skills. I like the other CB's as well, but I Fulton is my guy. He's not a lock because anything can happen this year, but him being "Invisible" is a great thing to me. He doesn't allow room for QB's to try him. He also had a foot injury, so I'm sure that impacted his numbers. He has shown the ability to tackle and no one is considering it a weakness. He's fast, physical, and shuts down his side of the field. 

I have other CBs right there with him. So it's not a large gap. I can't argue against others who pick other CB's as their #1. But I loved what I saw from Fulton. 

Reminds me of when Ronald Darby was on Florida State and I said the same thing about him.  Some thought he was this great cover man, which sure at times he can be but make a freaking play on the football.  Coverage is great but you better react to the football properly when you can and do something with it.  Fulton to me seems a tick late on a lot of players and does not recognize the ball quickly in the air.  That is why Greedy could get the INT and Fulton could not, and to me it is surprising to see 1st round talk for Fulton when Greedy has way better ball skills, is 6-2 and ran a 4.37 40, much less being a 1st team All American as a RS SOPH and a 1st team All SEC corner as a RS FR. 

I agree players can improve as a tackler no doubt, but I would not say he is some great tackling corner.  But I guess yeah I never noticed him because in three years he has played 12 games total.  Basically this last year played 10 and that was his max ever, Greedy played 13 his RS FR which is more Fulton has played so far in a three year career.   So I guess really yeah that would lead more to the invisible comment I made, he is literally not out there much as a FR, SOPH and was a little bit injured his JR year as well.  

"In August, he was reinstated by the NCAA, which ended a 19-month compliance battle over his using another person's urine for a drug test."

Guess this was the reason actually why Fulton did not play as a SOPH.  I assumed it was a medical redshirt year but I guess not.  Not a great thing to happen but hopefully he has moved on from that.

Fulton does not seem as fluid either in terms of his reaction time and is a little blocky but possibly that is just his shoulder pads.   Will see what he can do this year and more importantly stay healthy and on the field making more plays.  But again Stingley Jr. will be the talk around LSU in terms of CBs.  Helps they have the clear #1 safety in Delpit back there, he deserves that hype this year, for Fulton it is a little premature I feel.  To just lock him into being a 1st round pick, a player who gas not played much or done a ton on the field.   He still has a lot to prove I feel.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, Ozzy said:

Reminds me of when Ronald Darby was on Florida State and I said the same thing about him.  Some thought he was this great cover man, which sure at times he can be but make a freaking play on the football.  Coverage is great but you better react to the football properly when you can and do something with it.  Fulton to me seems a tick late on a lot of players and does not recognize the ball quickly in the air.  That is why Greedy could get the INT and Fulton could not, and to me it is surprising to see 1st round talk for Fulton when Greedy has way better ball skills, is 6-2 and ran a 4.37 40, much less being a 1st team All American as a RS SOPH and a 1st team All SEC corner as a RS FR. 

I agree players can improve as a tackler no doubt, but I would not say he is some great tackling corner.  But I guess yeah I never noticed him because in three years he has played 12 games total.  Basically this last year played 10 and that was his max ever, Greedy played 13 his RS FR which is more Fulton has played so far in a three year career.   So I guess really yeah that would lead more to the invisible comment I made, he is literally not out there much as a FR, SOPH and was a little bit injured his JR year as well.  

"In August, he was reinstated by the NCAA, which ended a 19-month compliance battle over his using another person's urine for a drug test."

Guess this was the reason actually why Fulton did not play as a SOPH.  I assumed it was a medical redshirt year but I guess not.  Not a great thing to happen but hopefully he has moved on from that.

Fulton does not seem as fluid either in terms of his reaction time and is a little blocky but possibly that is just his shoulder pads.   Will see what he can do this year and more importantly stay healthy and on the field making more plays.  But again Stingley Jr. will be the talk around LSU in terms of CBs.  Helps they have the clear #1 safety in Delpit back there, he deserves that hype this year, for Fulton it is a little premature I feel.  To just lock him into being a 1st round pick, a player who gas not played much or done a ton on the field.   He still has a lot to prove I feel.

Oh yeah, everyone got something to prove. If he didn't get in trouble, his game would have been more developed. For someone who had a foot injury and was suspended, did was great. I can't argue against Stingley right now because I like him as well. It's going to be fun to watch these CB's play this year. 

On 6/26/2019 at 1:46 PM, Ozzy said:

Grant Delpit JR and that is pretty much it I would say.  Maybe Greg Ellsworth RS JR, he has some toughness and quickness for the position he might be able to sneak into the late 1st round.  Alohi Gilman RS JR had a great season last year and is a physical tackler but struggles in coverage at times, he is more a 2nd to 3rd rounder.  JR Pace JR has ability I think but not 1st round ability, Antonie Winfield Jr RS JR has a lot of upside but can he stay healthy and JR Reed RS SR has some skills but again not sure he is a 1st round talent at this point.  His teammate Richard LeCounte III JR is talented and has corner skills but needs to take his game to the next level.  Travis Whillock RS JR I love as a downhill safety and he might have a breakout season this year.  Innis Gaines SR is very talented and can cover the slot also but needs to stay healthy and stay on the field.  

Gilman is way too bad in coverage to sniff the 1st. Or really even the 2nd IMO. 

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Gilman is way too bad in coverage to sniff the 1st. Or really even the 2nd IMO. 

I said he was more a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  He still has work to do and I agree in coverage he is questionable but as a tackler he is easily one of the best in the country as a safety.  And for a guy who supposedly cannot cover he sure can get his hands on the football deflecting passes and making plays.   In the box he is just fine, just struggles with very deep coverage at times.   Coming from Navy I think he did great last year and should be even better this season.   

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I said he was more a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  He still has work to do and I agree in coverage he is questionable but as a tackler he is easily one of the best in the country as a safety.  And for a guy who supposedly cannot cover he sure can get his hands on the football deflecting passes and making plays.   In the box he is just fine, just struggles with very deep coverage at times.   Coming from Navy I think he did great last year and should be even better this season.   

No I know u said that and I agree with you that as of now, there is only Delpit as a 1st round S. 

I like Dowell from Michigan State. He has a ton of tools to work with, but won’t sniff the 1st. 

On 6/18/2019 at 12:05 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Grant DELPIT is a stud and a half. He's not some super athlete though. He isn't as freaky as some of the other top 10 safeties that have been drafted very high recently, but he's probably better than all of them from a fundamentals standpoint. He is as fundamentally sound as they come, never missing tackles or assignments. And he's not a bad athlete. His athletic traits are a strength, but he isn't wowing anyone with measurables IMO. His NFL Combine will probably be good but not great, but the player is undoubtedly great and will go in the top 5-10 picks. The Browns won't be in range to get him unless they have a catastrophic failure.

Delpit is amazing

• 3 weeks later...

My 49ers need S help so once again I will be looking hard at this position. Even though they seem to ignore it every yr...lol 

Grant Delpit makes me smile. Also will be watching Damar Hamlin Pitt, Julian Blackmon(making the switch from CB) Utah and Jordan Fuller OSU. 

At CB I like Bryce Hall and CJ Henderson.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

It’s insane how good Paulson Adebo is.

He is good yes but I have seen much better before.   If he is so great then how did Stanford give up 377 yards passing to a first time backup starter true freshman QB on USC?  Pittman, St. Brown and Vaughns all had great games and one would think Adebo could have stopped some of that productive if he is indeed so great.   Sure he cannot guard everyone but if one was beating them badly, Vaughns, then he should have at least been able to shadow him across the field or slow him down more.  Adebo has great ball skills but I need to see more out of his as a tackler and playmaker in general. 

Of course does not help that Stanford defense is really down compared to what they have been in years past, last year and apparently this year they are below average as a unit big time.