Official 2020 CB/S Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who are the best slot defenders in this class?

I would say these are the best slot corners in this order.

Amik Robertson La Tech JR
Essang Bassey Wake Forest
Myles Bryant Washington
CJ Henderson Florida JR
John Reid Penn State RS
Damon Arnette Ohio State
Cameron Dantzler Miss State RS JR

Safeties who could cover in the slot if asked and Winfield could straight up play corner if asked, same with Blackmon most likely and Jones but Winfield would be the best corner out of all of them I feel.  Brooks could be a convert to OLB or coverage linebacker similar to what Tanner Muse will most likely become but Brooks can cover better than Muse as a pure safety.    

Antonie Winfield Jr. Minnesota RS SOPH
Xavier McKinney Alabama JR
Julian Blackmon Utah*
Antoine Brooks Jr Maryland
Brandon Jones Texas

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Shaun Wade should be in the discussion 

Doesn't Arnette play more slot and Wade more boundary or outside corner?  I think Wade at the next level would be a starting outside corner not a slot corner unless he gets on a team that is stacked at CB which is not many honestly.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Doesn't Arnette play more slot and Wade more boundary or outside corner?  I think Wade at the next level would be a starting outside corner not a slot corner unless he gets on a team that is stacked at CB which is not many honestly.

Wade plays more slot in all of my observations. But I think he can play both outside and slot.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, Ozzy said:

Wade plays almost entirely in the slot. OSU has started 3 CBs and only 1 safety all season long... Arnette and Okudah out wide and Wade in the slot, and they don't switch it up at all (although against Michigan Arnette did play in the slot with Wade being out). I doubt Wade has played more than 30 snaps out wide his entire career at Ohio State. 

Edited by BRANDON26841X

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, Ozzy said:

Damon Arnette didn’t play in the slot very much. He and Jeff Okudah were the outside corners. Although Shaun Wade is a true corner, he basically played a mix of slot and safety without getting much time outside. That’s just the way things go sometimes when there is a second round caliber guy with two years on you (Arnette) and an elite guy in Okudah, who will go top 10, maybe top 5. If Wade returned for next year, he would probably make a huge jump by showing the outside versatility and go top 15. As it stands, he is still probably going to declare for the draft and go pretty high, because I think GM’s are aware that he can play outside and are already likely to fall in love with his versatility. Would not be surprised to see him go in the top 25, but certainly the top 40 picks. The NFL loves DBs that can be versatile. He is the type of guy that could honestly excel in the slot, outside, or in a safety role. A physical and sound tackler to go along with good coverage skills and plus athleticism.

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Damon Arnette didn’t play in the slot very much. He and Jeff Okudah were the outside corners. Although Shaun Wade is a true corner, he basically played a mix of slot and safety without getting much time outside. That’s just the way things go sometimes when there is a second round caliber guy with two years on you (Arnette) and an elite guy in Okudah, who will go top 10, maybe top 5. If Wade returned for next year, he would probably make a huge jump by showing the outside versatility and go top 15. As it stands, he is still probably going to declare for the draft and go pretty high, because I think GM’s are aware that he can play outside and are already likely to fall in love with his versatility. Would not be surprised to see him go in the top 25, but certainly the top 40 picks. The NFL loves DBs that can be versatile. He is the type of guy that could honestly excel in the slot, outside, or in a safety role. A physical and sound tackler to go along with good coverage skills and plus athleticism.

Now that I look at it more you are right, this season Wade does play all slot and or safety this year.  Arnette I thought played some slot earlier in his career and is arguably better at that than outside corner but will see. Wade is easily a better prospect than Arnette who has improved a lot this year but Wade as a tackler makes him crazy interesting and arguably what he is best at, he can really hit and strike.  His versatility as well I agree makes him really wanted at the next level since he can do safety, outside corner or slot corner.  I agree he could be a higher pick next year in 2021 potentially, but even this year has late 1st round or 2nd round potential in a some what weak CB class outside of Okudah so he will declare.

I agree Okudah will be a top 10 pick based on the DB needs of the NFL.

Would have been interesting what would have happened if Wade did not make that hit on Lawrence in that game.  It totally changed things and really hurt that defense without him being in there.  Same can be said for the Michigan game without him.  If he goes and Okudah assuming curious what they will do losing all four starters and having not great depth outside of that and White transferring to Rutgers.

Like it has been said a lot this year, that Ohio State was one of the best ever no doubt in terms of talent.  Odd they lose but they simply did not score when they had the chances and kicked those field goals keeping Clemson in the game.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:13 PM, Ozzy said:

I would say these are the best slot corners in this order.

Amik Robertson La Tech JR
Essang Bassey Wake Forest
Myles Bryant Washington
CJ Henderson Florida JR
John Reid Penn State RS
Damon Arnette Ohio State
Cameron Dantzler Miss State RS JR

Safeties who could cover in the slot if asked and Winfield could straight up play corner if asked, same with Blackmon most likely and Jones but Winfield would be the best corner out of all of them I feel.  Brooks could be a convert to OLB or coverage linebacker similar to what Tanner Muse will most likely become but Brooks can cover better than Muse as a pure safety.    

Antonie Winfield Jr. Minnesota RS SOPH
Xavier McKinney Alabama JR
Julian Blackmon Utah*
Antoine Brooks Jr Maryland
Brandon Jones Texas

Why would you put C.J. Henderson in the slot?