Official 2020 CB/S Thread

CalhounLambeau

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Just a few thoughts today:

1. Levonta Taylor CB FSU - Great feet, fluid hips, and natural cover skills. Think his speed is adequate. However, he's very small and struggles with big and/or physical WRs. Think he's tailor-made for the slot. My only concern there is that he's a pile-watcher who only tackles when he's forced. But he's very good in coverage, especially M2M.

2. Shyheim Carter S Alabama - He's intriguing as a cheese piece of sorts. Not much film of him in deep coverage, so I can't assume he can do that. But he's a guy who will match up well with big slot WRs and athletic TEs. His hips are too tight to stick with shifty slot WRs in M2M. But his tackling technique is sound (needs to take better angles, though) and his coverage skills are solid.

3. Nigel Warrior S Tennessee - Can somebody get some cut-ups on him? Whenever I watch him in games against other players, he impresses.

Warrior should give Pruitt half his signing bonus, cause Warrior was responsible for a number of awful plays against Georgia St and BYU early.  He was the #1 guy I wanted benched so we could see what a younger guy could do.  But he got much, much better over the course of the season.  I think a lot finally clicked for him after a year or so of real coaching.  I could see him  being a great special teams player and good 3rd safety.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:33 PM, ClutchDJ said:

Remember Deionte Thompson’s fall from grace last year? 

Delpit’s is worse, & then some.

Came here for this take... absolutely awful

worst tackling safety I remember and does not display the desired range to play over top 

30 minutes ago, couchscout said:

worst tackling safety I remember and does not display the desired range to play over top 

Are you agreeing with the take or saying it’s awful and Thompson is bad?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, couchscout said:

Deionte Thompson if I remember right did not participate at the combine because of injury, never really ran the 40 and that hurt him a lot in the process.  Jalen Thompson oddly enough was in the supplemental draft and he is the starter over Deionte Thompson on Arizona, Jalen Thompson being the former stud safety at Washington State that got kicked out of school before his senior year because of breaking a NCAA rule.

Not sure Delpit will take a similar fall Deionte Thompson did, and honestly he has looked better of late as has that entire LSU defense.  What he does against Clemson says a lot, but take Chaisson on LSU, last two games he looks like a legit 1st round pick and is playing much better than he has most of the season in terms of getting to the QB.  But yeah Delpit did not deserve the Jim Thorpe Award, Okudah did, no way was Delpit better this year than the previous two seasons where he did seem to make more big plays.  

On the field in terms of coverage versatility Antonie Winfield Jr.is one of the best safeties in the class, had an amazing season and even has ability in the slot if asked to do so.  Will see if he declares or not.  

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Are you agreeing with the take or saying it’s awful and Thompson is bad?

Sorry should have been more specific... Delpit was who I was referring to. I watched 8-10 safeties last year who had better tape than him.

its awful

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Gladney and then take your pick after that, he's the only 1st round talent of the four though.  

C.J. Henderson has gotten majorly underrated due to Grantham's awful usage of him this year. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hawkeyejam said:

Geno Stone S out of Iowa declared early. Probably should have came back but nice developmental Safety in the later rounds

That is interesting, good hitter and big time tough guy for sure.  Curious why AJ has not declared yet, but I agree he should have returned to school but could be a mid to late round pick because of his toughness.  Is not quite the hitter Chris Miller is but is one of the more physical safeties in the draft.  Alohi Gilman also declared, he had a down year but the season previous he was a hell of a tackler and in terms of pure playmaking over the past two years I think Gilman has Stone beat in that regard as a tough physical safety.  But Stone seems a little better in coverage but not by much.