Official 2020 CB/S Thread

CalhounLambeau

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He protected himself in his final year. I like corners who can cover.

Clearly was protecting his knee. Love that he came in at 205 with 20 bench reps while maintaining elite testing numbers across the board. Plus he looked so smooth in the field drills. I'd trust him as a starting CB on the outside from day 1. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 10:09 PM, NYRaider said:

Clearly was protecting his knee. Love that he came in at 205 with 20 bench reps while maintaining elite testing numbers across the board. Plus he looked so smooth in the field drills. I'd trust him as a starting CB on the outside from day 1. 

He literally purposely avoided contact.... like maneuvered behind teammates, slowed down, etc .... during both his sophmore And junior years.  So it wasn’t him just avoiding re-hurting a previous knee injury.  
I swear it looks like he’s afraid of contact.  It’s craZzzzzy!  If he was afraid of hurting anything it was his “V”. Lol

id love our Raiders to get him at 19.  His coverage is very very good and it’s be a good value pick to fill a huge hole for us.  But we just shipped Conley out for tackling so poorly (also his coverage dropped off from the year before) so I can’t see us getting someone who not only doesn’t tackle well, he actively stays blocked to avoid tackling etc.  it’s actually impressive how he avoids having to tackle to well.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, G said:

I'm wondering if with recent events if any who didn't declare go for the supplemental draft like Wade or Adbeo? 

Why would the recent virus situation drive any high pick next year who chose to stay in school to enter the supplemental draft? If anything I think some players are regretting their decision to leave early since they did not get to show out in the senior bowl.  Also some players didn’t work out At combine to save it for their pro day that will not happen now.   Just seems like a horrible time to enter the supplemental draft.

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Why would the recent virus situation drive any high pick next year who chose to stay in school to enter the supplemental draft? If anything I think some players are regretting their decision to leave early since they did not get to show out in the senior bowl.  Also some players didn’t work out At combine to save it for their pro day that will not happen now.   Just seems like a horrible time to enter the supplemental draft.

Money and taking care of family financially. It's not just the virus, but the stock market plunge and the US unable to avoid a recession. I'd rather have a contract as a 3rd or 4th round supplemental than no money as a college student when Mom/ Dad/ brothers or sisters can't work to pay their bills. I may only invest as a hobby but I expected a downturn in 2020 (why I've had two jobs most of the past year) I just didn't expect the trigger to be a virus. Unemployment numbers are going to be really, really ugly...Congress passing 3 stimulus bills will help, but not be enough. Best hope is a sharp/fast recession of 6 months instead of the usual 18. 

6 minutes ago, G said:

Money and taking care of family financially. It's not just the virus, but the stock market plunge and the US unable to avoid a recession. I'd rather have a contract as a 3rd or 4th round supplemental than no money as a college student when Mom/ Dad/ brothers or sisters can't work to pay their bills. I may only invest as a hobby but I expected a downturn in 2020 (why I've had two jobs most of the past year) I just didn't expect the trigger to be a virus. Unemployment numbers are going to be really, really ugly...Congress passing 3 stimulus bills will help, but not be enough. Best hope is a sharp/fast recession of 6 months instead of the usual 18. 

That’s a valid point.  It’s definitely a “bad decision” to leave now but some players might have families in such bad shape they need to come out.  Good point.

On 20/03/2020 at 8:00 AM, goldfishwars said:

To be honest, I'd be surprised to see Mayock taking any corner that didn't play with Clemson or LSU. 

I can see Mayock looking very closely at Terrell, decent fit and obviously the Clemson links. Fulton should be on his radar too but the best fit is Johnson IMO, the one guy who doesn't seem to fit at all is Henderson I think.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I need someone to explain to me the Jaylon Johnson hype. Did you watch his game against Oregon?

Oregon is 100% his worst tape. Jaylon Johnson is a Mirror Corner who runs routes with the WR, and does it very, very effectively. I believe he has had a 90+ PFF Coverage grade every year, although take PFF with a grain of salt, but trying to use that as a reference point that his coverage is very good. 

Here is Tuls from Draft Network on Jaylon Johnson: 

Vertical Matching: Has the athleticism to match up with anybody. Possesses excellent speed to stay on top of WR’s route downfield. Needs to improve his technique in avoiding getting stacked. 

Mirror & Close: Reactionary quickness is elite. Footwork is well coordinated with his eyes. Seamlessly stays on hip pocket of WR in and out of route breaks. Hip fluidity is easily recognizable.

Ball Skills: Has a playmaker’s mindset. Comfortable playing w/back to the ball. Easily tracks over shoulder and is a consistent finisher at the catch point. Needs to get stronger to avoid box outs by bigger WRs.

Route Recognition: Quick eyes and mental trigger in off man coverage. Plays with no hesitation in his click and close. Guesses often to try and make a play; makes him susceptible to double moves.

Length/Physicality: Just average arm length, and it works to his detriment at the point of attack. Competitive toughness is unquestioned. Not afraid to get in the face of WRs. Plays a physical brand of football at LOS. 

LOS Discipline: Good patience and timing with his punch and mirror in press man. Trusts his feet to recover and would rather mirror than grab. Stays on balance in the wide receiver’s release with a good, solid base.

Zone Coverage: Opportunistic eyes and often watches backfield action instead of getting in right position. Has the range to close windows instantly, baiting QBs in Cover 2 to break on the flat for an INT or PBU.

Run Support: Fights hard to get off blocks and reach the point of attack. Fearlessly closes on the ball looking to bring the wood. Needs to change speeds better as a tackler, but the toughness and drive is there.

Versatility: Played mostly outside in college, but he has the foot quickness and eye discipline at the LOS to play inside with the two-way go. Has the physicality and tackling reliability to be a primary run defender as well.

Durability: Missed only one career game (2018), but has had two offseason shoulder surgeries that need to be monitored in the pre-draft process and Combine rechecks. Undergoing third shoulder surgery after Combine.

NFL Comparison: Vontae Davis

Best Trait: Mirror & Match

Worst Trait: Getting Boxed Out

Overview: Sudden athlete with high ceiling as a lockdown CB. Sticky on the hip pocket and doesn’t lack confidence or aggressiveness. Average size/length hurts his ability to contest every catch point but he is scheme flexible & best in press man on the boundary.

Here is my PM to another forum member about Jaylon Johnson: 

For sure man! Trying to find more of Jaylon Johnson tape, it’s like NFL teams stashed it away so no one can look at it lmao. I’ve watched every snap of his tape vs USC (2019), vs Oregon (2019) (worst game), vs BYU (2019), Cal (2019), Fresno State (2019), UCLA (2018), and Stanford (2018). Like I’ve watched every snap of Jaylon these seven games too many times to count. I’m really impressed by him. His tackling effort in the Oregon game was near-CJ Henderson level which I assume he may have had some type of injury, because his tackling in the rest of all his games is good and aggressive. 

As for coverage, he sticks to WR hips like glue and also is a press-machine. Most awesome part is he TIMES his Press to the point he thinks will be the most disruptive and he’s very very good at doing that. The only route(s) I see him have consistent trouble with is when a WR runs a short route and cuts back in quickly for like 6-7 yard gain. He definitely needs to work on that. However Jaylon Johnson defends every other route on the route tree highly effectively, and almost flawless at times. He mirrors the route. Literally mirrors it. That’s what shutdown CB’s in the NFL do.

I have Johnson as my 25th Ranked Player and CB2 overall. 

My CB Rankings:

1. Jeff Okudah (#4 Prospect)

2. Jaylon Johnson (#25 Prospect)

3. CJ Henderson (#29 Prospect)

4. AJ Terrell (#30 Prospect)

5. Kristian Fulton (#38 Prospect)

6. Trevon Diggs (#45 Prospect)

7. Jeff Gladney (#46 Prospect)

I think Henderson has solid coverage but he’s the least physical corner in this class and refuses to tackle in any way. His coverage is also a bit overrated as he uses his 4.3 speed to catch up and get a last second swat. He’s the #2 cover corner, but to me, he’s not that far ahead of Jaylon Johnson. 

Fulton has been overrated in the media process. Whenever he is lined up outside he gets beat consistently, and he rarely ever turns his head to the ball unless it’s the last second. I think he’s a Pro Bowl Nickel CB in the NFL. A complete bust on the outside though. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Oregon is 100% his worst tape. Jaylon Johnson is a Mirror Corner who runs routes with the WR, and does it very, very effectively. I believe he has had a 90+ PFF Coverage grade every year, although take PFF with a grain of salt, but trying to use that as a reference point that his coverage is very good. 

Here is Tuls from Draft Network on Jaylon Johnson: 

What was the deal with Oregon? He looked like he didn’t want to play.

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

What was the deal with Oregon? He looked like he didn’t want to play.

Which is what I state in my PM to another member. I’m assuming he had an injury that game cause he didn’t wanna tackle at all (CJ Henderson level) or cover short routes. He was a complete dog in the rest of his games. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1