CalhounLambeau

On 4/19/2020 at 6:55 AM, VanS said:

The best CBs in this draft IMO are:

1. Jeff Okudah (Ohio St.)

2. C.J. Henderson (Florida)

3. Darnay Holmes (UCLA) - NFL comp: Asante Samuel

4. Kristian Fulton (LSU)

5. Cameron Danzler (Miss St.) - NFL comp: Marcus Peters

Can't believe I forgot to include Darnay Holmes earlier.  He's one of the most impressive CBs in this class.  He reminds me of Asante Samuel.  He'll be a steal for someone. 

8 hours ago, VanS said:

Can't believe I forgot to include Darnay Holmes earlier.  He's one of the most impressive CBs in this class.  He reminds me of Asante Samuel.  He'll be a steal for someone. 

Holmes is a baller but he’s a pure Nickel Corner with his arm length and size. He probably doesn’t get drafted until the Mid 4th Round. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Holmes is a baller but he’s a pure Nickel Corner with his arm length and size. He probably doesn’t get drafted until the Mid 4th Round. 

Hard for me to forget him being torched relentlessly by Wazzu. A move the slot might help, but he's not an outside corner or Asante Samuel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Hard for me to forget him being torched relentlessly by Wazzu. A move the slot might help, but he's not an outside corner or Asante Samuel.

100%. Odd comparison. Maybe a small version of Asante that plays inside? 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

Alright my friends i want you to put on your thinking caps and tell me who you see as the best cover2/3 Zone CB's in this draft.  I know Henderson is a man press scheme guy after watching so much of him but who do you reccomend for that is a beast in the cover2/3 zone that would fit the Falcons scheme best of this massive 1st 3 round group.   IT seems from what i could find that the other 3 guys who fit man best and not zone would be  Terrell, Igbin and Troy Pride. 

The 1 guy i see that keeps popping up for great Zone is Bryce Hall over and over again so im adding him to my list of guys to keep an eye on for the Falcons.   Just did a bit more research and it seems the other 2 that people are putting in Zone scheme teams would be Jaylon Johnson and Trevon Diggs. 

Edited by FalconFan13

46 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Alright my friends i want you to put on your thinking caps and tell me who you see as the best cover2/3 Zone CB's in this draft.  I know Henderson is a man press scheme guy after watching so much of him but who do you reccomend for that is a beast in the cover2/3 zone that would fit the Falcons scheme best of this massive 1st 3 round group.   IT seems from what i could find that the other 3 guys who fit man best and not zone would be  Terrell, Igbin and Troy Pride. 

The 1 guy i see that keeps popping up for great Zone is Bryce Hall over and over again so im adding him to my list of guys to keep an eye on for the Falcons.   Just did a bit more research and it seems the other 2 that people are putting in Zone scheme teams would be Jaylon Johnson and Trevon Diggs. 

Hall is probably the most well known Zone specific scheme fit. I like Jaylon in Press man still but I do think he can play well in zone with his instincts. Diggs I just don’t like. 

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Do the Falcons ask their corners to press bail a lot? 

Just now, goldfishwars said:

Do the Falcons ask their corners to press bail a lot? 

Think they do, which kind of makes them a messy fit for this class. Probably why so many expect a trade up for Henderson, he's the only corner in range with both the hips and ability to jam. Jaylon Johnson would be my next go-to, he plays press well and transitions pretty well. Otherwise you're looking at guys who are a projection, or good at one thing and maybe not so much at the other. Hall is a little stiff in his transitions, but you can rely on him to stick a guy off the snap (if that's what's needed) - would be good if you don't need him to travel too far within his drops. 

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Think they do, which kind of makes them a messy fit for this class. Probably why so many expect a trade up for Henderson, he's the only corner in range with both the hips and ability to jam. Jaylon Johnson would be my next go-to, he plays press well and transitions pretty well. Otherwise you're looking at guys who are a projection, or good at one thing and maybe not so much at the other. Hall is a little stiff in his transitions, but you can rely on him to stick a guy off the snap (if that's what's needed) - would be good if you don't need him to travel too far within his drops. 

Actually more often than not we played off the receiver once morris took over.  The press bail and press man to man once tearing us up in the 1st half of the season because our FS wasn't good enough to come make the save or help when they was getting beat right off the line.   So we swapped over to zone and less press to let them read and react to what was in front of them and make a play on the ball reading the QB.  It worked 100x better and oliver+sheffield excelled doing this last year while also helping our safetys that weren't athletic enough.  This is also one reason why i want a Safety like Winfield so we can start working more man in with the zone and not get whipped as much.  But until we draft a better safety we need to stay with what works for us which is off man zone cover 2 and 3.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Actually more often than not we played off the receiver once morris took over.  The press bail and press man to man once tearing us up in the 1st half of the season because our FS wasn't good enough to come make the save or help when they was getting beat right off the line.   So we swapped over to zone and less press to let them read and react to what was in front of them and make a play on the ball reading the QB.  It worked 100x better and oliver+sheffield excelled doing this last year while also helping our safetys that weren't athletic enough.  This is also one reason why i want a Safety like Winfield so we can start working more man in with the zone and not get whipped as much.  But until we draft a better safety we need to stay with what works for us which is off man zone cover 2 and 3.

Ah okay, you kind of just need guys that will play the ball well then right? 

This might be of some interest to you:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

15 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Kind of a catch-22 situation with Henderson then. Doesn't seem like you would want to spend capital getting him to play a fairly low-skill kinda role. You need that capital to get the safety who would allow you to make the most of him.

Edited by goldfishwars

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Kind of a catch-22 situation with Henderson then. Doesn't seem like you would want to spend capital getting him to play a fairly low-skill kinda role. You need that capital to get the safety who would allow you to make the most of him.

Now you get it my man and also the main reason i don't want to draft Henderson by the Falcons. As we don't have the players nor the scheme to make the best of what he can do and would actually be putting him in his worst case scenario.   Even if we did get a FS that can help that out it would still negate the strength of our other 2 CB's who did fairly well last year once morris took over.  To me it's just not worth it when theirs so many really talented CB's in this class that are really as good as Henderson at the position. 

Now whats really scary to me is on that chart above you linked Henderson didn't make any of them outside of 1 and he was dead last on it lol.  Did he get beat up on that bad all the time at florida according to that compared to his fellow CB's in this draft.  Also it proves to me Amik is still a fricken baller i love that guy when watching him play.   I still say if he was 2 to 3 inches taller with his skills and ability he would be a 1st round lock.

Here are my final DB rankings:

1. CB Jeff Okudah (Ohio St.) - Top 5 grade......NFL comp: Nnamdi Asomugha
  2. CB CJ Henderson (Florida) - 1st round grade
  3. CB Darnay Holmes (UCLA) - 1st round grade....NFL comp: Asante Samuel
  4. CB Cameron Danzler (Miss St.) - 2nd round grade....NFL comp: Marcus Peters
  5. S Grant Delpit (LSU) - 2nd round grade.....NFL comp: Eric Reid
  • Like 1