CalhounLambeau

56 minutes ago, VanS said:

Here are my final DB rankings:

1. CB Jeff Okudah (Ohio St.) - Top 5 grade......NFL comp: Nnamdi Asomugha
  2. CB CJ Henderson (Florida) - 1st round grade
  3. CB Darnay Holmes (UCLA) - 1st round grade....NFL comp: Asante Samuel
  4. CB Cameron Danzler (Miss St.) - 2nd round grade....NFL comp: Marcus Peters
  5. S Grant Delpit (LSU) - 2nd round grade.....NFL comp: Eric Reid

You're not worried that Wazzu WRs toasted Holmes for like 150 yards and 3 TDs?

28 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're not worried that Wazzu WRs toasted Holmes for like 150 yards and 3 TDs?

Didn't see that game.  I like to go more on a guys overall skill set than on game by game results.

12 minutes ago, VanS said:

Didn't see that game.  I like to go more on a guys overall skill set than on game by game results.

Maybe you should watch it. Might point to some issues in his skill-set you didn't see in the games you watched. Hard to believe a first round caliber CB can get toasted like that by guys who may not even play in the NFL.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, Ozzy said:

I would say these are the best slot corners in this order.

Amik Robertson La Tech JR
Essang Bassey Wake Forest
Myles Bryant Washington
CJ Henderson Florida JR
John Reid Penn State RS
Damon Arnette Ohio State
Cameron Dantzler Miss State RS JR

Safeties who could cover in the slot if asked and Winfield could straight up play corner if asked, same with Blackmon most likely and Jones but Winfield would be the best corner out of all of them I feel.  Brooks could be a convert to OLB or coverage linebacker similar to what Tanner Muse will most likely become but Brooks can cover better than Muse as a pure safety.    

Antonie Winfield Jr. Minnesota RS SOPH
Xavier McKinney Alabama JR
Julian Blackmon Utah*
Antoine Brooks Jr Maryland
Brandon Jones Texas

On 12/30/2019 at 9:45 PM, NateDawg said:

Damon Arnette didn’t play in the slot very much. He and Jeff Okudah were the outside corners. Although Shaun Wade is a true corner, he basically played a mix of slot and safety without getting much time outside. That’s just the way things go sometimes when there is a second round caliber guy with two years on you (Arnette) and an elite guy in Okudah, who will go top 10, maybe top 5. If Wade returned for next year, he would probably make a huge jump by showing the outside versatility and go top 15. As it stands, he is still probably going to declare for the draft and go pretty high, because I think GM’s are aware that he can play outside and are already likely to fall in love with his versatility. Would not be surprised to see him go in the top 25, but certainly the top 40 picks. The NFL loves DBs that can be versatile. He is the type of guy that could honestly excel in the slot, outside, or in a safety role. A physical and sound tackler to go along with good coverage skills and plus athleticism.

After the draft it's nice to see our 4th rounders getting so much love in these pages but our 1st hardly being mentioned...

• 9 months later...
49 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Nice call. What were you seeing that most draft observers missed? 

J

Thanks.... I wouldn’t say I’m better than anyone else by any means.  I just put in a lot of my time trying to find gaps in perceived value vs actual value- just like how investors try to find stocks that are underrated snd will rise.

What wasn’t there to like about Snead was the question.  He could play FS or CB.  At first glance he had Crazy HWS numbers and great production.  So I looked into him more and as soon as I turned on the “YouTube tape aka highlights videos... lol... immediately his ability to break on a route jumps out.  The kid can stick his foot in the ground and absolutely explode through the catch point of the WR.  You take his size and that explosion and ability and you have the makings of a very good zone corner.  There were unknowns about how he’d fair in man but he had the HWS that most “zone CBs” lack to be man coverage CBs.

So basically I can’t scout every mid round prospect enough to make a prediction on, so I look for indicators such as above average HWS or production and then watch their tape. You wanna look for traits and abilities. And once you’ve done worth research you make your claim in a humble way and just hope you hit more then you miss.  I’m 36 and have been obsessive with the draft since I was legit 10 years old.  I’d go get every single draft publication available back in the day and just read them front to back a dozen times... trying to find guys I thought might be steals.  **** even when I was in prison for a handful of years I had 6+ draft guides I’d read over and over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thanks.... I wouldn’t say I’m better than anyone else by any means.  I just put in a lot of my time trying to find gaps in perceived value vs actual value- just like how investors try to find stocks that are underrated snd will rise.

What wasn’t there to like about Snead was the question.  He could play FS or CB.  At first glance he had Crazy HWS numbers and great production.  So I looked into him more and as soon as I turned on the “YouTube tape aka highlights videos... lol... immediately his ability to break on a route jumps out.  The kid can stick his foot in the ground and absolutely explode through the catch point of the WR.  You take his size and that explosion and ability and you have the makings of a very good zone corner.  There were unknowns about how he’d fair in man but he had the HWS that most “zone CBs” lack to be man coverage CBs.

So basically I can’t scout every mid round prospect enough to make a prediction on, so I look for indicators such as above average HWS or production and then watch their tape. You wanna look for traits and abilities. And once you’ve done worth research you make your claim in a humble way and just hope you hit more then you miss.  I’m 36 and have been obsessive with the draft since I was legit 10 years old.  I’d go get every single draft publication available back in the day and just read them front to back a dozen times... trying to find guys I thought might be steals.  **** even when I was in prison for a handful of years I had 6+ draft guides I’d read over and over.

And then you become a professional scout and then a GM and they make a movie about you. 

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m 36 and have been obsessive with the draft since I was legit 10 years old.  I’d go get every single draft publication available back in the day and just read them front to back a dozen times... trying to find guys I thought might be steals.  **** even when I was in prison for a handful of years I had 6+ draft guides I’d read over and over.

We've got an eerily similar timeline.

Aside from prison. 

14 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And then you become a professional scout and then a GM and they make a movie about you. 

lol.  I wish, right!

I worked for a South FL based NFL agent to create a database of Florida hometown or went to college in the state prospects.... it’s more than 20% of the draft I’d assume... and give a rating on the players chances of being drafted into 5 tiers of rookie contracts.    Basically used it to target mid round players who other agents would be going after.  I crushed it.  Also evaluated the likelihood to get several tiers of a second contract.

the agent was a friends uncle who had 2 very big clients but after they left he had lost money on or barely made any money representing some low grade UDFAs.  He wanted to do a better job of landing guys who’d be more profitable to represent.

It was just as cool as it sounds- which is not cool at all. Lol.

I also had a section for guys I thought were absolutely steals regardless of where they were from and called Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Butler late first to early 2nd round picks back when they were 4-5th rounders.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

FWIW Chris Trapasso of CBS did a 2020 redraft. L'Jarius Seed went #7 overall, where Derrick Brown was taken in the real draft. Okudah did not make the first round.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redrafting-the-2020-nfl-draft-justin-herbert-picked-by-bengals-justin-jefferson-lands-with-lions/

That's really dumb. 

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Point. Still, it just means Okudah was not one of the 32 most impactful rookies.

The real point is that L'Jarius Sneed was one of the ten most impactful rookies, even with a seven game injury.

J

Okay, but teams don't make draft decisions on rookie performances. I'd bet on Okudah becoming a stud. I'm not hating on Sneed. I'm simply saying that sort of clickbait from Trapasso is dumb.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Okay, but teams don't make draft decisions on rookie performances. I'd bet on Okudah becoming a stud. I'm not hating on Sneed. I'm simply saying that sort of clickbait from Trapasso is dumb.

I mean, it's a "what have you done for me lately" article.  Okduah was in no way, shape, or form a top 32 rookie last year.