Official 2020 QB Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Tua is undersized and doesn't have great arm strength.  He's also injury prone.  I'm not enamored with him at all.  Justin Hebert and Jacob Eason have ideal measureables but both look like they lack the intangibles to be great.  Haven't seen Jordan Love or Steven Montez play so I can't give you an opinion about them.  Joe Burrow looks like just another guy.  Same with Jake Fromm.  Both are simply byproducts of the talent and coaching around them.

When it comes to QBs, I look for 2 things: elite physical tools and top notch intangibles.  My top QBs in the 2018 draft were Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson for that reason.  I was also not big on Baker Mayfield.  I place zero importance on college stats or college accomplishments when it comes to evaluating QBs.  I only look to see if the QB has elite physical traits (i.e. size, arm strength, athleticism) and then I look at his personality traits to see if he has the intangibles to maximize those physical tools.  Everything else is the byproduct of circumstance.  

How exactly does Tua not have "top notch intangibles"?  The kid is a great leader, great person and an ideal teammate, comes from a great family, has a great work ethic and is a very humble kid.  Oh and by the way he has better than average arm strength, kid can throw darts and is crazy accurate.  Doesn't arm arm strength?  Based on what exactly?  Sure helps he has some great receivers to throw to but it goes both ways, the receivers are also lucky Tua is their QB and can get the ball accurate and on time.

Sure he has injury history but this year he has looked great and has not had problems.  Will see how he ends the year but to not call him an elite QB prospect in insane to me.  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

How exactly does Tua not have "top notch intangibles"?  The kid is a great leader, great person and an ideal teammate, comes from a great family, has a great work ethic and is a very humble kid.  Oh and by the way he has better than average arm strength, kid can throw darts and is crazy accurate.  Doesn't arm arm strength?  Based on what exactly?  Sure helps he has some great receivers to throw to but it goes both ways, the receivers are also lucky Tua is their QB and can get the ball accurate and on time.

Sure he has injury history but this year he has looked great and has not had problems.  Will see how he ends the year but to not call him an elite QB prospect in insane to me.  

FYI I actually never said anything about Tua not having top notch intangibles.  I believe he does.  My criticism of him is based on his lack of ideal physical tools and the fact he's injury prone.  I like my QB to have BOTH top notch intangibles AND elite physical tools.  Not one or the other.

Also I'm not the first to point out Tua's lack of ideal arm strength.  I don't remember if it was Mel Kiper Jr. or Todd McShay but one them was on ESPN one day and pointed out that lack of elite arm strength was a criticism of Tua that scouts had.  I'm not saying he has a bad arm.  Just saying it doesn't look elite.  

Also if you ask me injuries will probably be what hurts Tua the most on the next level rather than his measurables.  He unfortunately reminds me of Sam Bradford in that regard.

Edited by VanS

3 hours ago, VanS said:

FYI I actually never said anything about Tua not having top notch intangibles.  I believe he does.  My criticism of him is based on his lack of ideal physical tools and the fact he's injury prone.  I like my QB to have BOTH top notch intangibles AND elite physical tools.  Not one or the other.

Also I'm not the first to point out Tua's lack of ideal arm strength.  I don't remember if it was Mel Kiper Jr. or Todd McShay but one them was on ESPN one day and pointed out that lack of elite arm strength was a criticism of Tua that scouts had.  I'm not saying he has a bad arm.  Just saying it doesn't look elite.  

Also if you ask me injuries will probably be what hurts Tua the most on the next level rather than his measurables.  He unfortunately reminds me of Sam Bradford in that regard.

Elite arm strength is probably the most overrated thing for a QB. Guys like Rivers and Brees do not have the cannons but thrive in the NFL because they have touch and accuracy.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, VanS said:

My criticism of him is based on his lack of ideal physical tools and the fact he's injury prone.  I like my QB to have BOTH top notch intangibles AND elite physical tools.  Not one or the other.  

How is he injury prone?  He got hurt in the SECCG last year with a high ankle sprain (honestly I was worried he broke it the way it was bent) and kept playing.  That one injury clearly affected him during that game (and somehow lost him the Heisman) and somewhat in the playoff stretch but he soldiered on.   I don't remember him missing any games bcuz of injury.  

8 hours ago, brownie man said:

Joe Burrow is the truth 

sleep on him if you want 

dude pushed Haskins to the limit to lose that spot he’s the real deal 

he’s a better prospect than Daniel Jones that’s for damn sure 

he’s my favorite QB in this draft tbh

8 hours ago, brownie man said:

Joe Burrow is the truth 

sleep on him if you want 

I hope they sleep on him and we can scoop him up

17 hours ago, brownie man said:

Joe Burrow is the truth 

sleep on him if you want 

Have you even watched Daniel Jones play this year?  Not to mention have you watched Dwayne Haskins play this year?  Daniel Jones isn't nearly as bad as you make him seem and Joe Burrow is not as good as you make him out to be.

Sure Burrow is playing himself into possible 1st round conversation but he is also playing with a WR pair that could be on par with other famous LSU receiver tandem in Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckam Jr.  I have been just as impressed with Jefferson and Chase as I have been with Burrow, Chase is legit and so is Jefferson.  Not to mention he is playing with probably 2-3 OL that will make it to the NFL and probably a RB and or a TE as well.  Daniel Jones played with one receiver that made it to the NFL (if you can even say that) in his entire career at Duke, TJ Rahming and he is lucky to even be in the NFL for a little while and I believe is current not on a active roster as a UDFA receiver.  

Edited by Ozzy

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

But they wouldn't like that good without him. There's a reason he's leading for the Heisman. He's throwing like 2-4 incompletions a game. Dude is straight balling. I'll take Haskins's career over Jones even with these rosters right now. 

Burrow is better than haskins was

On 10/13/2019 at 3:26 AM, brownie man said:

Joe Burrow is the truth 

sleep on him if you want 

Completely agreed. I was hoping he would go in the late 1st to the Saints. That's just not going to happen. He checks every box. Pro style offense, appears that he can read defenses, excellent accuracy, very underrated mobility, and plenty of enough arm. I can't see any reason why he can't be as good as Tua.